Cisco ios ips

DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
Hi,

Do any of you guys run IOS based IPS and if so how do you get on with it. I am interested how it would compare to something like Tipping point.

Our edge routers do very little apart from running BGP, so cost savings could be had by upgrading the feature set to run IPS on the routers and not purchase new separate IPS solution.

Worth considering or best just to go for a separate solution?
  • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
  • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.

Comments

• emerald_octaneemerald_octane Member Posts: 613
    We had a subscription but I Just couldn't get it working on our ISR. I think the signatures for IOS and ASA are the same, but the throughput would be much higher on the ASAs.
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Any idea what the throughput would be on a 3945 ISR.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Ekk... That's going to depend on what other services you have running on that router. If you're using DMVPN, CBAC, and a bunch of other services, it's going to slow that thing down. I'm sure I could find the advertised throughput on some white paper but it also can depend on what else you have running on that router.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
    I been looking but not really found any thing in black and white. All it has running is BGP, and has a route to the inside networks and a default route out of site. The basically do bugger all :). We where given them, is the only reason we have them.