Options

Software defined networking.

tomtom1tomtom1 Member Posts: 375
This morning I was reading a blog by Ethan Banks about the value of the CCIE certification. Me being me and all, I have a strong interest in both virtualization and networking. Basically the blog from Ethan shows that he feels the CCIE certification is very much aimed at the current state of networking and not so much where networking is going to be in a few years.

Funny detail based on some signals that I seem to pick up everywhere:
  • Learn to program, or at least, learn the logic behind a language. Be open minded to Linux, where automation and programmable features are way more used (although MS is making nice steps with Powershell.
  • My personal opinion is that we're going to see loads and loads more of Software Defined - all around.
I personally am sure that once the certification tree for VMware SDN (NSX) is available, I'm going full in.

What about you guys?

Comments

• Options
    SimonD.SimonD. Member Posts: 111
    I guess it won't be too long before the VCA-NV becomes available, followed shortly by the VCP-NV, VCAP-NVA and NVD with the VCDX-NV topping it off for you.

I did have a laugh recently with some guys in a VCAP Bootcamp when talking about the VCAP-CIA, I mentioned to them that I thought that the new NSX VCAP was going to be called the VCAP-NSA (Network Service Admin), needless to say it was thought not to be such a clever name as people may just avoid it because of those initials ;)

It's going to be interesting actually, I haven't done much networking in my career but am finding myself drawn a little towards the CCNA because some of the networking guys I have worked with previously have left A LOT to be desired when it comes to their capabilities leading me to want to just pass over any config to them for sanity checking and getting it done that way (oh how I would love to be in control of my own network, it's getting there with storage these days but the network team still don't want to let go).
    My Blog - http://www.everything-virtual.com
    vExpert 2012\2013\2014\2015
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Software defined everything - it's going to be the future. Listen to the youtube interviews with the founders/leaders of all these start-ups (Pure Storage/PernixData/Nutanix etc) and more recently (EMC/VMware etc) - all point out that software is the way to go.

I'm all in too for the NSX cert track when VMware bring it out. As for a programming language, I'm going in with Python. Got to somehow spare 2 hours each week to get some sort of handle on it.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com