Seeking suggestion

sskdglsskdgl Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi to all,
I am having 6+ years of experience on UNIX system security and now I am preparing for CISSP certification. As the preparation for CISSP is taking more time and mostly on theory basis, I would like to do any other certificate on information security which will give more technical knowledge and helpful for my future with CISSP. While surfing the internet I gathered some information about OSCP and CEH.

Please guide me which certification would be more helpful for my carrier.

Comments

• Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    I doubt the CEH or the OSCP will help you much towards the CISSP. You don't need CEH. Check out some GIAC certs or go with OSCP.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • aftereffectoraftereffector Member Posts: 525 ■■■■□□□□□□
    CASP is an introduction to the topics, much like Security+ is an introduction to CASP (in a manner of speaking). I don't think the CASP would really give you much return for the investment, though. I would recommend checking out the SSCP to get an introduction to the security domains and (ISC)2, or the GIAC certs if you can afford them.
    CCIE Security - this one might take a while...
  • LionelTeoLionelTeo Member Posts: 526 ■■■■■■■□□□
    CEH -> GCIH
    SEC+ -> GSEC

CEH makes up for the foundation for GCIH while GCIH makes up a good foundation for technical aspect of a general IT Security Knowledge. Sec+ makes up for the foundation for GSEC while GSEC makes up a good foundation for compliance aspect of a general IT Security Knowledge. Obtaining both will make your study for CISSP easier.
  • Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    IMHO, the CEH is a joke. Also, I don't think we should be focusing on foundation when he has 6 years of security experience.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    The CEH subject matter is very good, although the exam itself may be insufficiently challenging. Choosing not to take the exam is not a reason to not study the material.
  • LionelTeoLionelTeo Member Posts: 526 ■■■■■■■□□□
    IMHO, the CEH is a joke. Also, I don't think we should be focusing on foundation when he has 6 years of security experience.

I agree with this, it's still good to arm with a good deal of general technical knowledge otherwise you will lose respect,I had seen CISSP with 5 to 10 years plus experience not knowing simple stuff like directory traversal, MITM SSL or $IUSR.