Should I take Strata before A+?

Micky73Micky73 Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm changing careers and going into IT. Should I take Strata before A+ or skip Strata and just do A+?

Comments

• iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    There is no name recognition for Strata so I would say it's a poor investment of your time and money.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You should go for the A+ because it is more recognized, and plan your next step after your A+, depending what you want to get into, such as helpdesk, networking, security, etc.
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • rhtrht Member Posts: 92 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I agree i took A+ first in order to change careers but found out i knew most of the material and it was not really a good investment as it carries very little weight on the job. If you are familiar or have worked with PCs before id say skip A+ and go for network+. The Network+ although has many irrelevant material, it is excellent at giving you the fundamental knowledge in the areas you would need for any job in IT today or if you are perusing a more recognized certification such as CCNA or even MCSA.

Whatever you choose, the important thing is you are always learning & building up your knowledge and experience when yo get a job. Good luck! and let us know what you decide.
  • missjanayamissjanaya Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I took it because its recognized internationally. I also worked in an office as a clerk and wanted some validation it was kind of a confidence booster. I think it depends on where you are at in IT. It was also cheaper than the A+ which was a factor at the time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I conquer with danny069! The exam objectives covered is not worth it spending your time covering. Ultimately, you could just go and spend your time pursuing other advanced certifications. Compare the exam objectives with the A+ and you will then see that it is a waste of time. I would rather invest my money in the stock market or better yet in mutual funds then get started with the Strata fundamentals.