Resources for network architecture/design?

lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
So I'll preface this by saying I'm not a network guy, looking at taking the CCNA (maybe go up to CCNP) for fun, but I deal with the full infrastructure stack so really aside from the inner workings of routing protocols I get the gist of things.

What are good white papers/blogs/books (trying to avoid a mass of material like a book but if required so be it!) regarding the redesign of a network? What I'm most interested in is decisions regarding network topology, VLAN's, subnetting, purchasing of hardware, among other things. Essentially...does anyone have a checklist and/or list of pitfalls to avoid when designing (or redesigning) a network? I know a lot of this is covered in the CCNA book I'm running through but again, it's not geared towards the design phase.

Thank you in advance!

Edit: After looking into it, it appears CCDA resources might fit the bill? This isn't my professional focus but my input/thoughts/ideas and potentially my complete planning will help guide DR sites and remote site integration/business absorption.

Comments

• santaownssantaowns Member Posts: 366
    Cisco has a separate test for design and architecture. This forums has a sub forum for it here CCDA and CCDP Forums .

If i were redesigning a network for todays standards i would look into converting to be able to support an Ethernet Fabric such as the nexus brand of cisco products.

That is about all i can assist with unfortunately as the design and arch process is not an every day duty for me.
  • brian89gpbrian89gp Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    CCNA/NP is more of "how", CCDA/DP is more of "why".

The thing with network design is there are 10 or more ways to do any one thing, a couple are bad idea's, a couple are good idea's, and the rest will still work *most* of the time. Then multiply that by 10 fold because especially with Cisco there are so many overlapping product lines that there are many different products that can fit into the one design that was chosen. Knowing the ins and outs of it, ie experience, help a great deal in design.

What is your purpose for knowing more? To better understand and communicate cross team? To be able to manage/hold conversation with a network person? To know enough to do it yourself? Just for the fun of it?
  • SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    I would also check the Cisco Design Zone, and looks for CVD's Cisco Validated Designs. Those are great resources for network design considerations.

Also mentioned Cisco has a Design track, CCDA/CCDP/CCDE/CCAr.

Cisco Press also a few good network design books. Look for some by Russ White, Optimal Routing Design is a good one. LAN Design by Diane is also a good primer.

Network design is also a very broad topic and usually covers many topics:
    • IP Addressing
    • Hardware scaling
    • QoS
    • WAN Technologies
    • Redundancy
    • Resiliency
    • Management
    • etc
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    Thanks for the input everyone. I definitely recognize that my question is broad and far reaching in scope. The aim is not so much of the configuration side, rather planning and design. I do this currently with servers/virtualization/storage/application/etc infrastructure (including configuring) and networking is the last piece to the puzzle. I'm fine with switch/firewall configuration but not so much with routers. I can work within an existing network but I wouldn't be the best at spotting problems/inefficiencies in how they are configured.

As an example, say the business you work for absorbed another business and you have to integrate the IT infrastructure into your current setup. Further, the existing infrastructure for the new business was planned poorly and needs to be completely redone. This includes things in the list that @SteveO86 mentioned and more, so I'm looking for good materials (like y'all suggested!) to help expand my knowledge and skillset with essentially doing network design from the ground up.
    Anything related to CCDA/CCDP. There are also many networking related blogs I would highly suggest adding to your daily reading list (google it, most are cross-linked to each other).

It appears that you have a usable example of a network that needs some design work sitting in front of you. Work on spotting inefficiencies and how to better them. Ask questions. Call TAC (if you are nice they will talk to some extent about the why, but they draw the line when you try and get them to design something). Study the specific config of your network as a base to build the rest of your design study on top of. As long as you don't try to have other people do your job for you there are a great many that are willing and able to help you learn.

Not meant to discourage you but more of one of caution, if you have an immediate practical need for this design knowledge be careful. Proper network design is tricky. Network connectivity is something that users assume will always be at 100%.
  • lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    I have a slew of blogs that I read already for security and virtualization but you're definitely right, I will add more related to this topic. The first thing I often do when in a new environment is study the configs. Like I said, I'm OK with switches and firewalls (better with forward/reverse proxies, email filters, etc) but I am working to get better with routers.

Luckily I do not need this knowledge right now icon_wink.gif I am looking down the line as it might be a possibility in the near future. I have a good platform with which to build upon and would like to be at a greater vantage point if/when the time arises. Thanks for the ideas @brian89gp!
    Perhaps set up the network in a simulator? The setup will get you some familiarity of what does what and how it works and it gives you a platform to change things on. And it is directly pertinent to your job. A good amount of the concepts behind routing are the same across all platforms and it is just the syntax that changes, I have been using IOS 12.3 on GNS3 as a stand in for NX-OS in real life for routing design. Syntax is different but the routing protocol itself operates the same for the most part.

Also search for "vs" topics. OSPF vs EIGRP for example. There is usually never a single "right" answer, just a whole bunch where one is better. Usually. Sometimes they all are not good and you got to choose the least bad among them.

Search for horror stories of network problems. Pick apart how they happened.

When you run across people that work on networks, ask them why this or that was done the way it was. It was something that was created so there will either be complaining cause someone else didn't do it the way they wanted or proud ownership because they themselves created it. Take everything they say as further research points.

Got an on-staff network guy there? Personality type that is not anti sharing? Develop a relationship and have theoretical design discussions with them.

EtherealMind - Software Defined Networking, Data Centre and Infrastructure
    The Peering Introvert ? Ethan Banks abstracts networking with words.
    http://packetpushers.net/
    ipSpace.net: Internetworking perspectives by Ivan Pepelnjak