Looking for a tablet, want it to work with WGU program/documents when I start in 2015

bherbiebherbie Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
Looking to buy a tablet (less than $400) that I can use now, but will still work effectively with WGU program materials. Any ideas are welcome. Prefer that you are currently using the tablet for WGU or at least have the tablet now and it works well. Thanks for the help!
2014 Finished Associate in Science in Database Application Development
2015 Goal
A+, Network+, and Security+

Comments

• ratbuddyratbuddy Member Posts: 665
    Asus T100 64GB. Nuff said.
  • DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 is amazing for all of my studies. get a Micro-USB expansion hub for a Mouse and USB Ethernet coupled with a Bluetooth Keyboard, it's an amazing platform. Plus if you want something simple get a Acer Chrome Book and load up Ubuntu on it it; $199 for a very capable platform.
  • kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    Cheaper route - Nexus 7 (or 8.9 if they release that as rumored) or a Galaxy series if you have a little more.
    The new Kindles are pretty nice as well. eZPDF Reader is a fantastic program for PDF books.

Also as above states you really cant go wrong with that if you need a cheap lightweight laptop
  • Cisc0kiddCisc0kidd Member Posts: 250
    It would need both flash and silverlight to access all the content. Do any tablets other than Windows based ones do so?
  • TybTyb Member Posts: 207 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My Nexus 7 is crap for WGU content so I got Lenovo Thinkpad and it works fine. I'm unsure as how well an IPad would do.
    WGU BS:IT Security (March 2015)
    WGU MS:ISA (February 2016 )
  • wallpaper_01wallpaper_01 Member Posts: 226 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you can afford it Surface 2 Pro if not Surface 2 RT comes with Microsoft Office 2013 full.

They are fantastic for studies, much better than an iPad.
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I think WGU changed the app they were using for the ebooks because when I was using it I could download books for offline access only in iOS and not on my Android device, it looked like at the time the Android app was abandoned. I remember reading they were switching vendors or something last year.

I would just use a laptop or download the course material in PDF if it is possible.
  • bub9001bub9001 Member Posts: 229 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I used an iPad through my year and half at WGU (BS-IT). And it had a few things that wouldn't work, Adobe Connect (big surprise since it uses flash). But I knew this going in and worked around it for the most part. For all my reading I used the iPad with no issues.
    “You were born to win, but to be a winner you must plan to win, prepare to win, and expect to win.” - Zig Ziglar

Goals for 2019: CEH, and CND
    Goals for 2019: CCNA or ECSA
  • da_vatoda_vato Member Posts: 445
    Has anyone tried the Dell Venue 8? It is a Windows tablet and smaller than the surface pro...
  • puertorico1985puertorico1985 Member Posts: 205
    I recently got a Dell Venue 8 Pro (literally 3 days ago), and so far I am pleased with it. It allows me to access sites that use Silverlight and Flash. I go to Capitol College and we use Adobe Connect, and I will be testing that out for my first live class tonight. I did try viewing a recording and had some issues, which I will attempt to resolve tonight. I also use Testout, which uses Silverlight, and that works great. I had an iPad before this, which I gave to my wife, and while it was great, it was lacking on some things that I needed for school. The Dell is a great cheap option, just know that you get what you paid for. It runs an Atom processor, so it will never be as fast as a Surface Pro or similar.
  • NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    @Ratbuddy do you have any issues with the small resolution on the Transformer?

@puertorico1985 how do you like the Dell unit?
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • puertorico1985puertorico1985 Member Posts: 205
    @CarlSaiyed: I love the Venue 8 Pro, but you have to understand that it is simply a tablet. While it does run full Windows 8.1, the screen is tiny. I can't do a whole lot of work on that small form factor, but I have a separate laptop, so it was never meant to be a replacement by any means. Other than the size though, it is great for everything else. It literally runs every program that you could want to run on a very low powered Windows machine. I have been using Silverlight and Flash just fine, which I use for school and studies. As I mentioned above, I gave the iPad to my wife, and the ONLY thing I miss from the iPad is the iBooks app, which reads PDFs aloud. I have not been able to find a good substitute for that on the Windows side.
  • bugzy3188bugzy3188 Member Posts: 213 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Surface Pro 3 comes out in August, its a bit spendy but is designed to contend with (and surpass in some cases) ultra books. You can get them with up to a Core i7 and 8 GB of RAM. You could also pick up a docking station and set up a desktop environment at home with it. I am considering picking one up myself.
    If you havin frame problems I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but a switch ain't one
  • ratbuddyratbuddy Member Posts: 665
    I don't think 1376x768 is small resolution, especially in a 10 inch device. My old eyes can't even discern single pixels that size. The answer is no, the resolution is not an issue.