CCIE Written

KrekenKreken Member Posts: 284
Everybody talks how they are preparing for the lab but how do/did you start the journey by preparing for the written exam?

When I saw the list of books recommended on Cisco site, my heart sank a bit. I think by the time I will be in the middle of the list, I will start forgetting the details from the books I read first. How do you keep what you learned fresh in your mind if you don't work with some of the technology on the daily basis?

Comments

• Dieg0MDieg0M Member Posts: 861
    You have to read and lab a little. I read through Routing TCP Vol1 and 2, Cisco QoS OCG, MPLS Fundamentals and CCIE R&S v4 OCG. That was enough for Written but after that I continued reading... I went through Developping IP Multicast networks and Internet Routing Architectures. Still have Implementing Cisco IPv6 Networks to go through.

You will get tired of reading but try and lab some topics to get everything to stick.

Edit: BTW it took 220 hours of reading + practice test right after I passed CCNP to be ready for CCIE Written.
    Follow my CCDE journey at www.routingnull0.com
  • KrekenKreken Member Posts: 284
    Thank you. I would like to do Security track. The exam version is 4 right now but the official guide is still v3. Kind of surprised there is no update book since it came out roughly two years ago.

Did anybody take v4 exam recently and what books did you read to pass it?
    Anybody? I am having a real hard time selecting books. A lot of the books are 7-10 years old and I don't really want to throw away money for outdated material.
  • keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Troubleshooting IP routing, BGP book, Qos for LAN/WAN
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Dieg0MDieg0M Member Posts: 861
    keenon wrote: »
    Troubleshooting IP routing, BGP book, Qos for LAN/WAN

Pretty sure those are not needed for the security track.
    Follow my CCDE journey at www.routingnull0.com
  • gunner247gunner247 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just started my CCIE journey and I have started with "TCP IP Illustrated". The key is that you don't need to read the books word to word or page to page. Skip the areas you are comfortable with and concentrate on the areas you need to master. This will help you cover all the books much faster and with better understanding.
  • wintermute000wintermute000 Banned Posts: 172
    step 1.) Read all the books.
    - Routing TCP/IP vol. 1, 2
    - Internet Routing Architectures
    - Deploying IP Multicast Networks
    - CCNP Switch
    - MPLS fundamentals (2/3rds of it)
    - QoS for IP/MPLS Networks
    - v4 Cert Guide
    - IPv6 Fundamentals
    - Deploying IPv6 networks (2/3rds of it)
    - More cisco articles online than you can shake a stick @ - notably understanding RSP, understanding MST, BGP case studies, understanding redistribution, troubleshooting BGP, troubleshooting Multicast (INE), UNderstanding redistribution pt 1 and 2 (INE), understanding BGP convergence (INE), OSPF FAQ, BGP FAQ

step 2.) Do the INE vol. 1 lab workbooks and make notes as you go - I find it really helps the written to do some proper hands on, this is when things 'click' for me anyway

step 3.) you're ready for the written

that's my plan, booked in a months time. I got maybe 1/3rd of the WB1 to go.

Then its 18 months to the lab exam... eek
  • bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    INE has a decent-looking recommended list for the CCIE SECURITY (honestly, does nobody else read the thread BEFORE posting?), but is surprisingly short compared to the R&S selection:

This list is admittedly probably for the lab, but if you're going to get them anyway, I'd say just get them and at the very least try to skim through the applicable sections.
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
  • gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Yes but R&S contains the bulk of the core topics for everything. Except maybe Data Centre. I has a look at the SP content and it doesn't look much over and above R&S...
  • JobeneJobene Member Posts: 63 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Also for Security there should be an OCG, ISBN-13: 978-1587143700, and it SHOULD be out since Feb 27....
    bermovick wrote: »
    INE has a decent-looking recommended list for the CCIE SECURITY (honestly, does nobody else read the thread BEFORE posting?), but is surprisingly short compared to the R&S selection:

This list is admittedly probably for the lab, but if you're going to get them anyway, I'd say just get them and at the very least try to skim through the applicable sections.

Thank you for the list.
  • egrizzlyegrizzly Member Posts: 533 ■■■■■□□□□□
    When in doubt I go with books from the official Cisco curriculum. worst thing that could happen is that you misunderstand a few ambiguous concepts.
    B.Sc (Info. Systems), CISSP, CCNA, CCNP, Security+
    Jobene wrote: »
    Also for Security there should be an OCG, ISBN-13: 978-1587143700, and it SHOULD be out since Feb 27....

Received the email from Amazon last Friday that the book is available for order. The price is $100. ;-/
  • tinu_karkitinu_karki Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I passed my written last week. It took me quite a while to sit the exam. I read 3 or 4 books but found that I was struggling to really understand certain topics like qos and mpls as I dont use it day to day at work. What really helped me understand these technologies is to build my own topology in GNS3 and play around and do practise labs (either from gns3vault.com or another site). So in a nutshell read the books but also do lots of hands on as this is what really imprinted the knowledge in my brain.