Recommendation for Access Server for a Network Rack?

JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
So I've got all of my Cisco routers/switches out of storage and gonna put them in a rack, where they belong.

As my last job, we had access servers, such as ones made by MRV Communications (see this example here), where I believe I had a physical connection via serial port to this and from there could get access to devices on the network.

So I'm understanding this correctly, this is a serial connection to the access server and from here, it is an RJ-45 connection to whatever network device, correct?

Also since this is what I worked with, this is the only access server that I'm familiar with. Was wondering if anyone else could make recommendations for products that they work with.

thanks
***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
-unknown

Comments

• SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    Yea, usually it's a RJ-45 cable to the console port.

For a home lab, you could browse for a Digi, Opengear or a plain olde Cisco module with the Octo-cables.

I got a good deal on the Cisco module, so I use that method.
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
    SteveO86 wrote: »

I got a good deal on the Cisco module, so I use that method.

Will that work on either Cisco switch/router or will that matter?
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown
  • SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    The network module works within a Cisco Router nm-32a or nm-16a.
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • santaownssantaowns Member Posts: 366
    I used a digi cm32
  • gc8dc95gc8dc95 Member Posts: 206 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have a Digi CM32 for sale, if interested. Just connects with regular straight-thru Cat5/6 cables.
  • atl_libraatl_libra Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
    +1 on the Digi Cm32. Has been pretty rock solid for me.
  • FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    DigiCM32 is what I use as well. +1
    SteveO86 wrote: »
    The network module works within a Cisco Router nm-32a or nm-16a.

Thanks for the response.

Do these modules need to connect back to a device that controls them? Or from a laptop, what is acting as the access server?

-unknown
  • keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    that is a module you add to a router either 2800, 2600, 3600, 3800, 3700 or you could look at purchasing a 2511 or a 2509 depending on how many terminal connections required. From there it has a bunch of console cables you can connect to device consoles

https://www.google.com/search?q=cisco+access+server&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=50piU-DsOISf2QXl1IHwBw&sqi=2&ved=0CFcQsAQ&biw=1295&bih=771
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
    keenon wrote: »
    that is a module you add to a router either 2800, 2600, 3600, 3800, 3700 or you could look at purchasing a 2511 or a 2509 depending on how many terminal connections required

Right, I understand it is a module. However I don't understand is how it managed?

It is some sort of plug-and-play? Or is there another piece that has to be installed to manage it so that I only need one connection to my laptop and then this octocable to connect to my three switches and two routers?

-unknown