OSCP Preperation - Linux Experience

MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□
Being one that attempts to plan ahead at least 6 months in advance, I'm looking for some information regarding what flavor of Linux I should start studying in preparation for the OSCP.

Having some code/programming/scripting experience in my current security role, my only worry is that I really haven't touched too many *nix systems. That being said, I'd like to pick up a Linux cert prior to attempting the OSCP. I'm stuck between LPIC/Linux+ and RHCSA.

For those who have taken the OSCP and have Linux experience, which would you think would be more valuable in preparation for the OSCP learning/certification?

Comments

• NovaHaxNovaHax Member Posts: 502 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Umm...Kali Linux? icon_scratch.gif
  • NovaHaxNovaHax Member Posts: 502 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Ah...I should probably read past the first paragraph before I decide to be a dick, lol. If you insist on doing one...I'd say Linux+/LPIC over RHCSA. Mostly just because its vendor-neutral. Though Linux basics should be enough to get you through. Understanding the tools will be more important than understanding Linux inside and out.
  • LionelTeoLionelTeo Member Posts: 526 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I don't think your being a dick, I thought Kali Linux would is all what you need to get familar for OSCP course.
  • wes allenwes allen Member Posts: 540 ■■■■■□□□□□
    LionelTeo wrote: »
    I thought Kali Linux would is all what you need to get familar for OSCP course.

I have yet to run into a target running Kali, so while your VM is Kali, you are working on all flavors of linux in the lab. And lets not forget about those windows CLI skills as well.
  • impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    When I took the training I was able to go through the info and I lost a lot of time trying to configure something in kali, like the ftp, web, etc, etc. and I know with a little more linux knowledge would be faster and not time consuming.

I would go through LPIC to get better in Linux and also experiment more with exploits.
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• BlackBeretBlackBeret Member Posts: 683 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Kali is Debian based if that's what you're looking for. As far as scripting goes, most of your scripts will be to automate tool usage in Kali, however BASH works the same across all flavors. Python is a good one too according to everyone, it's on my to do list.
  • clYkclYk Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    hello

Can any one tell me that which is the latest version of lab guide of OSCP?

I have v2.3 is it the latest? or its same for every one?
    When did you buy it? Check the website.

• cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    clYk wrote: »
    hello

Can any one tell me that which is the latest version of lab guide of OSCP?

I have v2.3 is it the latest? or its same for every one?

I really don't think anyone is just going to hand over their version of the lab guide...If you want to scrape it off the internet somewhere go right ahead, but you won't get much respect from anyone on this particular forum.
    I really don't think anyone is just going to hand over their version of the lab guide...If you want to scrape it off the internet somewhere go right ahead, but you won't get much respect from anyone on this particular forum.

I agree.