MTA operating essentials a good place to go?

jam3s121jam3s121 Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys,
I recently passed A+, am about to graduate with my associates and was hoping to find a IT helpdesk or deskside support job. I am looking for a job relatively soon and wanted to add another cert to hopefully land a job since my degree is not IT related and I have no work experience with computers (customer service). I am well versed in all things hardware related from building my own machines and looked at the mta operating essentials objectives, should be a breeze with the wiley book.

You guys think this cert can help me get a job?

Comments

• dopedsmurfdopedsmurf Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I don't really know much about MTA; however, if you are just looking to get your foot in the door somewhere, I would recommend focusing on general certifications. For example, the CompTIA A+ exam that you've already passed.

My personal recommendation would be taking the next CompTIA exam, Network+. The skills you can learn and develop will benefit you regardless of what operating systems you end up working on. All that being said, if you have your heart set on doing the MTA, I am sure you will find that useful as well.
  • 10Linefigure10Linefigure Member Posts: 368 ■■■□□□□□□□
    There are a few MTA's to choose from and Sybex has books on them. Here is a link > Sybex: Microsoft - MTA some people say the MTA's are too low level. But you dont have to stop there, you can do or learn anything you like. Good luck!
    CCNP R&S, Security+
    B.S. Geography - Business Minor
    MicroMasters - CyberSecurity
    Professional Certificate - IT Project Management
  • jam3s121jam3s121 Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    dopedsmurf wrote: »
    I don't really know much about MTA; however, if you are just looking to get your foot in the door somewhere, I would recommend focusing on general certifications. For example, the CompTIA A+ exam that you've already passed.

My personal recommendation would be taking the next CompTIA exam, Network+. The skills you can learn and develop will benefit you regardless of what operating systems you end up working on. All that being said, if you have your heart set on doing the MTA, I am sure you will find that useful as well.

Well I'd like to work in a helpdesk and or deskside support role hopefully.. how can Net+ help me in that regard? Yes it is probably a higher level cert but what else? I plan to take network+ anyway, I just want to get a job relatively soon since my part time job is not paying me enough and when I'm done with this internship and my associates degree in 2 weeks I want to say I have 2 certs on my resume. Net+ studying would take me 5-7 weeks if probably.
  • daviddwsdaviddws Member Posts: 303 ■■■□□□□□□□
    MTA Server fundamentals would be a good one to get. The MTA OS I have heard is a little too basic. Network+ and Security+ are both good ones to get for a start.
  • zidianzidian Member Posts: 132
    I agree. I would get the Server Fundamentals one instead if you have a decent amount of self taught knowledge on the OS. Server Fundamentals goes into Active Directory and that would likely benefit you more for a help desk job.
    WGU BS-IT Software | Completed 9/30/2014