City IT department

Jamm1nJamm1n Member Posts: 106 ■■■□□□□□□□
Anyone ever work for a city IT department? I have an interview coming up for a help desk position, but also applied for system administrator. Im sure it varies from city to city but how did you like it?

Comments

• RaystafarianRaystafarian Member Posts: 87 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I work closely with my City's IT dept, it's basically the same as any other IT dept, though things tend to always run a little bit slower in Government. There are also additional regulations and statutes you may need to be aware of in terms of infosec (e.g. public record vs protected information like police officers).
    Hit me up on LinkedIn - just mention you're from techexams.
  • NyblizzardNyblizzard Member Posts: 332 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I currently work in City IT and let me just tell you, things are slow lol
    O
    /|\
    / \
  • MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sometimes things going slow is actually a good thing. That'll allow you to design your network/systems accordingly. Or, if you have a lot of downtime and your supervisor approves, STUDY!!

On another note - my local city had an opening and I missed it by 3 or 4 days. My level of experience fit everything in their description.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Jamm1nJamm1n Member Posts: 106 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well slow is not always bad. And I'm used to infosec, I've been in the military for 8 years almost so I understand all the classifications of information.

Just trying to weight my options between government and civilian if it comes to that point.
  • no!all!no!all! Member Posts: 245 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I used to work for my county government. Everything was dated and things were defeinitely slow. The pay was decent but the benefits where top notch.
    A+, N+, S+, CCNA:RS, CCNA:Sec

"In high society TCP is more welcome than UDP. At least it knows a proper handshake" - Ben Franklin

2019 Goals: CCNP:RS & relocate to St. Pete, FL!
  • Cert PoorCert Poor Member Posts: 240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    There's a city IT position that looks interesting to me, but they want 5+ years of experience and the pay is about $30K lower than the private sector. I'm not sure if I'm qualified for the position, and even if I were, the pay and benefits are significantly below market.
    In progress: MTA: Database Fundamentals (98-364)
    Next up: CompTIA Cloud Essentials+ (CLO-002) or LPI Linux Essentials (010-160)
    Earned: CompTIA A+, Net+, Sec+, Server+, Proj+
    ITIL-F v3 2011 | ServiceNow CSA, CAD, CIS | CWNP CWTS
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I work for a State Agency and we're not too dated. Definitely a slower pace and small budgets mean making due with what you have. Definitely interview and see what happens.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • xnxxnx Member Posts: 464 ■■■□□□□□□□
    MAC_Addy wrote: »
    Sometimes things going slow is actually a good thing. That'll allow you to design your network/systems accordingly. Or, if you have a lot of downtime and your supervisor approves, STUDY!!

On another note - my local city had an opening and I missed it by 3 or 4 days. My level of experience fit everything in their description.
    I'm guessing you're from the UK? Mind sharing your age bracket e.g 25-30 or 30 +
    Getting There ...

Lab Equipment: Using Cisco CSRs and 4 Switches currently