Options

Not sure what to do next

kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
Hello Everyone,

I recently passed my CCNP and was offered full time work at my current place of contract with a substantial increase. (YAY!). It, however, doesn't have as much hands on as I would like and in time would like to find something closer to home but want to make sure I have the skills to justify this pay from here on out.

So my question to you all is what would be good for a network engineer to learn as other skills to benefit me?
VMWare VCP? Linux? I am not ready to do my CCIE yet.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Comments

• Options
    W StewartW Stewart Member Posts: 794 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm going to say linux but I'm sure my avatar makes my biased obvious. Most network engineer job postings I've seen just seem to cover a lot of networking like ospf voip and things like that but when they do venture out of the realm of pure networking, they seem to request linux experience.
  • Options
    ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Vmware and Linux? definitely yes. Actually, Cisco put a videosurveillance product that includes both Vmware and Red Hat.
  • Options
    ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    I started on my VCP even before CCNP as I have seen a major push in cloud based solutions, so getting a jump on virtualization, and especially virtual networking has a growing demand at the moment, though I'm sure linux has it's own niche in the networking world as well.

Getting a jump start on virtualization right now though seems like a really good investment of time, as most most datacenters incorporate some form of virtualization, if not the majority of the datacenter.
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    Thanks everyone :) I think I will definitely start my VCP and do Linux at home here shortly after I finish up CCNA+ARCH (Have to for work) and see where it can take me down the road.
    I still want to make it where I can do networking most the time but make me of more value to a company.