Options

Need Career Advice - Beginner

foewarfoewar Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi I Got 1 and half year exp. in IT security

I got hands on knowledge on the following security devices

Specialties: Blue Coat ProxySG, Bluecoat ProxyAV, Bluecoat Reporter, Symantec Messaging Gateway, Symantec Endpoint Protection and Splunk Log Manager (SIM)

I'm still bad on troubleshooting network problems

I'm much more interested in the security part and not much into network

I have 1K to spend around .. Thinking to apply for CCNA and CEH certifications is it a good idea ? Or something which you ll could suggest which would be good for future growth

Comments

• Options
    coty24coty24 Member Posts: 263 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would combo CCNA with an eLearnSecurity course > https://www.elearnsecurity.com/course/penetration_testing_student/

So CCNA then eLearnSecurity if pentesting is your goal.

Good luck bro!
    Passed LOT2 :)Working on FMV2(CHFI v8 ) Done!
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    foewar wrote: »
    Hi I Got 1 and half year exp. in IT security

I got hands on knowledge on the following security devices

Specialties: Blue Coat ProxySG, Bluecoat ProxyAV, Bluecoat Reporter, Symantec Messaging Gateway, Symantec Endpoint Protection and Splunk Log Manager (SIM)

I'm still bad on troubleshooting network problems

I'm much more interested in the security part and not much into network

I have 1K to spend around .. Thinking to apply for CCNA and CEH certifications is it a good idea ? Or something which you ll could suggest which would be good for future growth

I work in risk management and policy/governance IT security, but when I was targeting technical security jobs, my lack of technical networking and network security skills/knowledge was a huge blow. If I were you, I'd do as coty24 said and at least do CCNA. While I dont think the CEH is worth the expense on your part, it is good resume candy and companies and HR recruiters like it.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    LionelTeoLionelTeo Member Posts: 526 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I always view CEH as a foundation to another foundation, although I agree it barely scratches any real security work.

With exception for CCNA in networking, the junior certifications in Security are
    1) CEH
    2) Sec+
    3) SSCP

With a bit of googling and amazon, you can find great books to study up on them.

My recommendation is to finish CEH and Sec+ in a year. And then move on to GSEC and GCIH respectively. GSEC is advancement from SEC+ while GCIH is advancement for CEH. With both and good experience its possible to bump up your salary by 30%-40%.