Can't install 64-bit OS as virtual on 64-bit machine, please help

binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
I tried and searched around and gave up.

I'm trying to install Windows Server 2008 using Virtual Box VMware and they give me the popular message that the CPU doesn't support 64-bit apps. Virtualization is enabled in BIOS and the system is 64-bit.

It's a Dell Inspiron N5040 with Intel p6200, Windows 7 Premium (also 64-bit). I disabled/enabled virtualization in bios, no go. I played with options within Virtual Box/VMware; I can't fix it.

I must be missing something very obvious icon_sad.gif It's been a year since I've played with virtual stuff....

Comments

• SteveFTSteveFT Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 149
    Are you using Virtual Box or VMware? Additionally, from the drop down menu, did you select Windows Server 2008 (x64)? I don't have it in front of me at the moment, but there should be an option for either 32-bit or 64-bit. If not, something may be wrong with the host that is not allowing you to run 64-bit. In the past, I've seen this happen with virtualization settings were not correct.
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    Thanks guys. Turns out my system is 64-bit but the Intel cpu doesn't support VT-x. Go figure. Here is the link that nailed the issue in case some poor soul comes across this issue a few generations later :)

https://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-8978
  • sweetdreamsweetdream Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello,

By chance, did you ever succeed to enable VT-X on that machine (dell N5040). I have exactly the same laptop and according to Intel website, my CPU DOES accept virtualization but I still struggling to activate it. By the way, how could it be that the CPU does not support it although it is an option in the BIOS ?
    Thanks a lot for your answer,

Patrick
  • Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Intel® P6200 CPU does not support VT-x virtualization as per Intel® Pentium® Processor P6200 (3M Cache, 2.13 GHz) Specifications
  • nisti2nisti2 Member Posts: 503 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Check your bios settings! :) Happened to me once!!
    2020 Year goals:
    Already passed: Oracle Cloud, AZ-900
    Taking AZ-104 in December.

"Certs... is all about IT certs!"
  • sweetdreamsweetdream Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Mike7 and nisti2,

Indeed, according to the link the CPU does not support virtualization. You are right and I was wrong. I am just wondering now why the hell there is a "enable virtualization" option in the BIOS....
    Patrick
  • thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    My guess would be that the the motherboard might be compatible with different processors, so while your CPU doesn't have that feature other CPUs might.