Preparing for CEH Exam and Nervous

tulku1tulku1 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
Okay, so I've been preparing for the CEH exam, and plan to take it either next Tuesday or Thursday. I've been taking the InfoSec Institute ethical hacking class, and have the All In One CEH Exam guide boxed set (book, CD's, practice exams).

I finished all of the instructional videos in the class, have read the book and am taking the practice tests. It just seems like there is so much to memorize. Any advice? How nervous should I really be?

By way of background: when I started in computers we used punch cards and mag tape. In the last 15 years I have worked in technical support, been a network administrator, ran the mail server, done web design, some computer forensic work for the company I was working for and performed network security analysis.

But this exam scare me....icon_sad.gif

Ed Bentley

Comments

• BGravesBGraves Member Posts: 339
    I took it recently through my WGU MS program. Are you scoring well on the practice exams? Familiar with the tools covered?
    I think this exam makes people nervous due to the amount of material covered but I think as long as you did a good study and some practice exams, you should be ok. Take deep breaths, don't psych yourself out, you should be fine.
  • NovaHaxNovaHax Member Posts: 502 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Don't stress it man. That test is weaksauce
  • LionelTeoLionelTeo Member Posts: 526 ■■■■■■■□□□
    CEH is a push over compare to other certifications out there, just study and you will get it.
  • bobloblawbobloblaw Member Posts: 228
    Security+ is more difficult than CEH. There... I said it.

I still think CEH is good a fundamentals test. If you're passing your quizzers with confidence, you'll be fine.
  • jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Study the material and get some hands on time with the tools and you'll be fine.

Be confident, you got it!
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • tulku1tulku1 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for all the support. I'm supposed to take it tomorrow. Here's the thing: I took the InfoSec Institute Ethical Hacker course, and have worked my way through the CEH All In One Exam Guide. But it seems like there's so much to remember. Admittedly it's been 30 years since I graduated from college. It reminds me of the differential equations final I took that I got an A on because I had memorized the processes, not because I understood what I was doing.

I know, I'm probably psyching myself out.
    You'll be fine so long as you have been studying and know your stuff.

Post back with your results!
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
    Went to register for the test and found out I need an "eligibility voucher" number. Does anyone know if InfoSec Institute should provide me with one of those, or do I have to pay the $100 and apply for an eligibility voucher?
    Oh man, you didn't apply with EC Council to take the test before scheduling it with your testing center?

You get it from EC Council. It costs $100 and requires a letter from your supervisor stating you have the minimum experience requirements (2 years).
    Talked to the EC Council. They just need a copy of my certificate of completion from InfoSec, and then I can just pay for the exam. Should be able to take it on Friday now.
  • ravencrazyravencrazy Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Good luck with this test Tulku1......I havent even looked into the eligibility thing yet. At work we have skillsoft and I started going through some of the videos. Does anyone know if SKillsoft is OK to use for an eligibility voucher?
    I believe it has to be a training camp style class.
  • NimrodHunterNimrodHunter Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Good luck on your test, I am preparing to study for the CEH and hope to take it shortly. Let us now how it went.
  • impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You will be fine, I took me 6 month for me to study, I wanted to go deep.
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

One other question because I haven't gotten a straight answer yet from the EC-Council. The total fee for the test and everything is $500, right? I don't have to buy a voucher for $500, and then pay another $500 for the test.....
    The voucher is the payment for the test.

It is $500 and if you did the self study route, there's an extra $100 fee.
    And just when I was starting to relax I tried the practice exam on this site and there were things in the questions I can't even remember seeing before...
  • diggitlediggitle Member Posts: 118 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Did you pass?
    c colon i net pub dubdubdub root