Options

Is there any value whatssoever in becoming an Associate of (ISC)²?

NyblizzardNyblizzard Member Posts: 332 ■■■■□□□□□□
Basically passing one of their exams (i.e CISSP), if you won't receive the title not for a couple of years (if ever before it expires)
O
/|\
/ \

Comments

• Options
    LeifAlireLeifAlire Member Posts: 106
    To put on your resume you have a CISSP and then when/if they ask you can say it is a Associate...
    2015 Goals: VCP-550 - CISA - 70-417
  • Options
    jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    A coworker of mine stayed an associate due to the lower amount of annual CEs required.

However, he worked for the DoD who considers Associate and CISSP the same.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • Options
    MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm planning on using it for my resume so I can hopefully land a job with the Fed.
  • Options
    LeifAlire wrote: »
    To put on your resume you have a CISSP and then when/if they ask you can say it is a Associate...

Hmm but wouldn't it be considered lying on your resume if you don't truly hold CISSP credentials?
    O
    /|\
    / \
  • Options
    emerald_octaneemerald_octane Member Posts: 613
    I was an associate for two years:

It's not worth it unless:

A) Someone else is paying for it, so you have a limited amount of time to get it
    B) You have lets say 2 or less years left in terms of experience to get it

IMO the only place where it might be useful is for 8570.1 compliance. Why? An associate of ISC2 toward CISSP is just as good as the full CISSP (or anything else in the level III categories).

I would say it's not as useful in the civ job market. Most recruiters will not know what an "Associate" is, and most positions looking for CISSP credentials will look for several years of infosec experience (hence you've been awarded the cert) to fill the roles.

Further, even though you have six years to get the requisite experience, the test difficulty and cost is not worth the gamble. Only if you are currently in some sort of infosec capacity in your current position should you take the risk.
  • Options
    I just thought one should bother taking the exam if they're a year or two off from having their credentials qualify. Interesting that there are Federal jobs where they are on the same level
    O
    /|\
    / \