Spring 2014 VMware courses at Stanly Community College

Comments

• stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    astrogeek wrote: »
    I just got the payment e-mail this morning so if you have been notified you are on the wait list and you applied but haven't paid yet you probably should call them or send them an e-mail.

Just a quick question for anyone who's taking or has taken this course, what is the book for this course? The search on their website didn't turn up anything and I remember some people saying they didn't even use the book. I might want to get the book anyway though.

You will not need a book for this class, though they will provide a link to the official course book once you get everything settled.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • zxbanezxbane Member Posts: 740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I got my payment email as well and will be finalizing payment soon. Looking forward to getting to work through the labs and some exposure to VMware
  • STANLY_CCSTANLY_CC Member Posts: 338 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Here is the textbook information. The price quoted is from the Stanly Community College Bookstore (704-991-0229):
    • TITLE: VMWARE VSPHERE 5.1: INSTALL,CONFIGURE,MANAGE
    • AUTHOR: GILMORE
    • PUBLISHER: GILMORE
    • NEW: $43.50
    **Please Note: Pricing information is subject to change based upon updated data from publishers & instructors**

stryder144 wrote: »
    You will not need a book for this class, though they will provide a link to the official course book once you get everything settled.
  • siulassiulas Member Posts: 8 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Has anyone got an email about extra 80 seats?
  • 2busy2busy Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yes I have, let's hope to be in :D
  • zxbanezxbane Member Posts: 740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I went ahead and processed my payment for the upcoming course, it came up t 185.00

Looking forwarding to getting my feet wet with VMWare
    We are doing all we can to accommodate as many students as possible. Please let me know if you have any questions.
    siulas wrote: »
    Has anyone got an email about extra 80 seats?
  • jleydon82jleydon82 Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    STANLY_CC wrote: »
    We are doing all we can to accommodate as many students as possible. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks. I joined the waitlist in April so I have awhile to wait. For anyone else that wants to learn while they wait, I am using the VMware video courses over on Pluralsight. Although I use VMware daily, they do have some great training that helps go over some specific technologies I normally never touch in a production environment.

Their main VMware vSphere training by the way is for 5.0 with some additional courses outlining 5.1 and 5.5 along with other application specific courses. Could be a great way for others to kill time and give them some good experience before the STANLY course.
  • frozenEyesfrozenEyes Member Posts: 18 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi STANLY_CC,

I just want to make sure that after finishing the online Vmware course at your collage ,

the voucher that i will be using to enter VCP exam is valid outside US, because I am from Egypt.
  • J.TotJ.Tot Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    18 days, hopefully
    VCP5 : [X] | VCP6 : [X] | MCSE : 70-412 [X] , 70-417 [ ] , 70-413 [ ] , 70-414 [ ] | VCAP : [ ]
  • DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    I signed up last night. I'm really excited about doing this. Been reading the Mastering Vmware 5.5 book by scott lowe and I love it. - if you don't get into the next class when is the next block available? - just like to know so I can plan my CCENT pursuit accordingly.
  • ulikabbqulikabbq Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm excited to start this course. My books just came in the mail yesterday. Go Stanly Eagles
    ulikabbq wrote: »
    I'm excited to start this course. My books just came in the mail yesterday. Go Stanly Eagles

Have you looked through them?
    VCP5 : [X] | VCP6 : [X] | MCSE : 70-412 [X] , 70-417 [ ] , 70-413 [ ] , 70-414 [ ] | VCAP : [ ]
    At this time we are unaware of any restrictions outside the US.

frozenEyes wrote: »
    Hi STANLY_CC,

I just want to make sure that after finishing the online Vmware course at your collage ,

the voucher that i will be using to enter VCP exam is valid outside US, because I am from Egypt.
  • siulassiulas Member Posts: 8 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Has anyone got an email back about 80 extra seats?

EDIT: An hour later i got an email, I'm in :)
  • haydenhayden Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I also got in with the additional 80 seats that were offered, thanks!

Regarding the textbook "VMWARE IT ACADEMY VSPHERE: INSTALL, CONFIGURE, MANAGE V5.1 (VAP-EN-VSICM51-SK)", is this available as a digital download, or is it physical only?

Also, others that have already taken the course, is the text book necessary for the course?
  • lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    I purchased the recommended 5.1 book and others recommended Scott Lowe's 'Mastering VMware vSphere 5.5' so I bought that as well...if anything they'll be good for reference material, I don't anticipate needing to read them front to back.

In addition, books are such a trivial investment in your overall certification lifecycle...I don't see how you can go wrong with it.
    10 days till class starts (Hopefully)
    J.Tot wrote: »
    10 days till class starts (Hopefully)

icon_cheers.gif

I flew through the first 100 pages or so of the course book...it was all intro stuff anyways. My Scott Lowe book came in the mail yesterday so I'm going to crack that open soon in between reading my CCNA book...it's gonna be a busy summer!
  • swefredswefred Member Posts: 13 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Now I got a mail where they announced 2x40 more seats. I just hope they accept people from outside United stats sins it was an option when I signed up for the waiting list. This price I can afford but not the ca 4.5k USD a regular vmware couce cost.
    FYI Orientation Emails are going out. Got mine today
    Anyone know if we can use our student emails for pluralsights free signup? They offer 3 free months for students. In my moodle profile I noticed I now have a name@scc.stanly.edu email address, can't seem to access it.

*Update*

use the gmail link under email, login with your Moodle credentials.
    You can sign up for pluralsight and dreamspark(Which nets you pluralsight 3 month trial)

Get all the training that you can while you have access, with dreamspark you can download Windows server 2008/2012 keys for your lab enviornment.
    Good pint J.Tot. I imagine there will be a lifespan to the .edu email account so for those that are busy in general I would hold off on signing up for the 3 free months.
  • ibbobudibbobud Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    swefred wrote: »
    Now I got a mail where they announced 2x40 more seats. I just hope they accept people from outside United stats sins it was an option when I signed up for the waiting list. This price I can afford but not the ca 4.5k USD a regular vmware couce cost.

I registered and responded to the email 20 min after it was sent.... anyone heard back or received a payment email?
    Certifications: A+, VCA-DCV, and VCA-WM
    Working on: VCP5-DCV, MCSA 2012, and Network+
  • swefredswefred Member Posts: 13 ■■■□□□□□□□
    They said it would take 2 weeks and asked people not to mail and ask if they were accepted.
  • networkhobonetworkhobo Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Awesome that they are opening more seats! When did you all signup on the wait list?

Also, pluralsight has some great training but I do agree with lsud00d to save the code for when you know you will have time to take advantage. We have a subscription and it is always a good place to go for info.
    swefred wrote: »
    They said it would take 2 weeks and asked people not to mail and ask if they were accepted.

The email I received yesterday said they would be sending out responses today or tomorrow. I have not contacted them to ask anything just curious if anyone else had received a response. icon_smile.gif
    Awesome that they are opening more seats! When did you all signup on the wait list?

I signed up February 21st.
  • jthunderbirdjthunderbird Banned Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Just received my orientation email but cannot log into moodle until Monday so I think I am done until then.

Seems the emails have been coming out pretty staggered for everyone, they are human afterall. Be patient, it will happen. Be ecstatic about the additional 80 seats! Thought I would be waiting until October! I signed up middle January.
    Just received my orientation email but cannot log into moodle until Monday so I think I am done until then.

Seems the emails have been coming out pretty staggered for everyone, they are human afterall. Be patient, it will happen. Be ecstatic about the additional 80 seats! Thought I would be waiting until October! I signed up middle January.

I am ecstatic! I just hope replying within 20 min was fast enough!