What Exam should I take next?

zachkenemerzachkenemer Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
I wondering if anyone could help me decide on which exam to take next? I currently have CCNA and CCNA Security as well as a A+, but my Cisco Certs will be expiring in Q3 2015 sometime. I am wondering if anyone has any advice because I am a bit strapped for time given what I have planned. I currently work full time as a Network Administrator for around 1000+ users and its more Systems Admin than Network. I don't want to stay here for more than 2 years, but I am also finishing my undergrad Bachelors degree, going full time at that right now as well. I am planning to be done by May 2015, but I would love to get one more Cisco Cert sometime to not let my current ones expire. I have already built a CCNP Route Lab, its decent, but has been sitting around for 6 months because I haven't had the time to devote to everything. I am wondering what would be a not to difficult cert that I might could get during this time frame, CCNA Voice? CCDA? or should I stay with CCNP Route? Im not sure if I get the CCDA it will extend my CCNA Security?

Any thoughts or input is welcome. Thanks.

Comments

• RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    I wondering if anyone could help me decide on which exam to take next? I currently have CCNA and CCNA Security as well as a A+, but my Cisco Certs will be expiring in Q3 2015 sometime. I am wondering if anyone has any advice because I am a bit strapped for time given what I have planned. I currently work full time as a Network Administrator for around 1000+ users and its more Systems Admin than Network. I don't want to stay here for more than 2 years, but I am also finishing my undergrad Bachelors degree, going full time at that right now as well. I am planning to be done by May 2015, but I would love to get one more Cisco Cert sometime to not let my current ones expire. I have already built a CCNP Route Lab, its decent, but has been sitting around for 6 months because I haven't had the time to devote to everything. I am wondering what would be a not to difficult cert that I might could get during this time frame, CCNA Voice? CCDA? or should I stay with CCNP Route? Im not sure if I get the CCDA it will extend my CCNA Security?

Any thoughts or input is welcome. Thanks.

So you are a Systems Administrator with Cisco certs. Hmm! Interesting! Why have you chosen to supplement a skillset in which you don't have and ignore the one you have/are building?

Stop chasing paper would be my advice and focus on strengthening your actual skills whatever they may be.
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • omi2123omi2123 Member Posts: 189
    if i was u, i'd go for CCNA Datacenter...it's a 2 test cert but first test is pretty easy & it will renew all ur other certs for another 3 years & give u some time to think bout ur goal...
  • eLseLs Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If I recall taking any test will renew the Cisco certs you have. The easiest CCNP test I hear is switch not route test out of the 3 if your thinking of CCNP. I assume taking a CCNA specialization will be easier than CCNP tests but I could be wrong do not know. Good luck.
    Bachelor of Science: Computer Information Systems
    2014 Goals: Solarwinds Certified Professional (SCP), Cisco Certified Entry Network Technician (CCENT) and Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA).
  • gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    So you are a Systems Administrator with Cisco certs. Hmm! Interesting! Why have you chosen to supplement a skillset in which you don't have and ignore the one you have/are building?

Stop chasing paper would be my advice and focus on strengthening your actual skills whatever they may be.

Nothing wrong with being a Systems Admin with a CCNA. I'd wish some of our Windows guys had a CCENT at the least, would help them understand networking a bit before passing over all tickets to our queues.

If he isn't staying in that current role then he needs to start doing certs that are geared towards his next role. I started out as a Systems Administrator in 2006 and slowly got more exposure to Cisco. In 2008 I had a different job in a different company that basically meant a CCNP and MCSE would have been ideal because I dealt with all Cisco networking, switching, routing, VoIP, so CCNP was great.

I will say though... "I am planning to be done by May 2015" - with Cisco, you are never "done". Ever.
  • rtrefzrtrefz Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    IMO, if you are planning on continuing as a Network person (either your current job, or a new one), start working on your CCNP. CCNAs don't really carry much weight, other than being prereqs for the higher level certs.