Failed 548

chronicchronic Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have taken this test twice and failed by getting 540 or above. I've have gone through A network + 2005 book and notes twice, fully understanding what i am reading, Online tests i'm fine get 80% or above.

Any form of help u guys can give me to push me that little bit more, Ow and i thought i would be the first to put a failed in subject than all the pass ones out their lol

Thanks for your help. :)

Sorry should of said what book it's NeTWORK + CoursePrep Exam Guide

Sydney A. Shewchuk
essential networking,

Comments

• Vogon PoetVogon Poet Member Posts: 291
    Sounds like your on the right track, but my advice is to be more paranoid about the exam. That's my philosophy about pretty much anything. I read and outlined 2 Net+ books, used their practice exams, and also used practice exams from at least 2 other sources. After you outline the chapters, turning your outline into Powerpoint slides can help as flashcards. As far as your practice test scores go, anything less than a consistent 90% just isn't good enough.
    Like yourself, I was pretty confident after studying from one text, but learned the true power of paranoia after being humbled on my first practice test.
    Good luck. And remember, "You can't be too paranoid."
    No matter how paranoid you are, you're not paranoid enough.
  • chronicchronic Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the advice, just wondering what books did you read through as i am willing to spend a little on another book or study info if it will help out alot having two forms of scources to read from.

Thanks again
    essential networking,
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Welcome to the forums both of you.

Don't take this the wrong way, but if you fail the Network+ exam twice, it can only mean you are not prepared enough, yet. I'm not saying this exam is to be underestimated or 'easy', but I do believe anyone, regardless of education/experience, who prepares properly for this exam can pass it. But you are certainly not the first who didn't pass this exam so I wouldn't worry about the topic title ;)

And I agree with Vogon Poet, 80% on online practice exams is not enough, you should get at least 90%, but personally I suggest continuing until you reach the 99% (room for human error ;)). Especially if you take the same practice exam a couple of times you should have learned from your mistakes and not make them again. When you stay around the 80-90% it simply means there 'is' still room for more preparation/study.

Also, 1 book is hardly ever enough for anyone to pass an exam (unless you have a lot of experience with the topic) and that's why we suggest using at least 2 books (or a book and a CBT for example). You did mention you read notes, but in case those are not our TechNotes (which contain as much content as a text book, just without all the white space):

www.techexams.net/co_netplus.shtml
    I suggest reading these until you know 'and' understand everything in it. And if you have any questions regarding certain topics/exam objectives, don't hesitate to post them an we'll try to help!
  • chronicchronic Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you for the welcome, I shall start on your Tech Note and read through the book again and see how everything pans out. I think i'm gona take a little break first though as i failed last time i picked the books up straight away and started againn which didn't help as stress got me down alot.

Thanks though for the advice, It's just strange i thought i had it this time, but one thing that gets me is the way the question are put in the exam am i not understanding what they are asking or i'm total lacking info and looking for something to blame lol.
    Thanks all.

Anymore info would be great. :):D
    essential networking,
  • jpeezy55jpeezy55 Member Posts: 255
    chronic wrote:
    Thanks though for the advice, It's just strange i thought i had it this time, but one thing that gets me is the way the question are put in the exam am i not understanding what they are asking or i'm total lacking info and looking for something to blame lol.
    Thanks all.

Just check out the other posts and you will see that is a common theme. Several posts talk about the wording of the questions (Microsoft is worse).

I just passed my Net+ 10 days ago and I used ExamCram2 and Technotes from here. I also started out with Mike Myer's Passport book, but did not like it that much (his A+ was good though) and it was another practice exam. Also, check out the free online practice tests. Remember to mix them up a little since I found that I would start to read a question and 5 words into it, I "remembered" the answer from the last practice and would jump right down and select it. If you keep using the same exam, you eventually know the answer just from having read it so many times, but you may not have really learned anything. Mixing them up ensures that you don't fall into this trap and that you get different material.

I was hitting the 90% and higher range in practice before I took the exam and had no trouble with it...you'll get it! :D

Good Luck!
    Tech Support: "Ok, so your monitor is not working, the screen is blank, and no matter what you do it stays blank? Do you see that button on the bottom right hand side just below the screen? Press it. . . . Great, talk to you next time!"
  • raiedraied Member Posts: 93 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I passed the Network + the first time using only Sybex study guide 4th edition.

Need to do lots of memorizing for this exam.

Good luck
  • Sunny WintersSunny Winters Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i dont think being paranoid is a good or healthy way to deal with exams.

my advice would be to take as many practice exams as possible, and copy the answers and questions that you get wrong and you will notice a trend in what your getting wrong and hence what you need to work on

then revert to a good text to read indepth about what your getting wrong on the practice tests. have confidence and know that you know enough information to pass....

(its one thing to memorize something, but its more importiant to understand why is it the way it is)

:P
  • Vogon PoetVogon Poet Member Posts: 291
    Paranoid is definitely the way to go. Look at it this way. The certifications would be worthless if anyone could get them. If you view it as a challenge to acquire something that someone does not want you to have, you will raise your game. Granted, it's just a psychological trick, but it worked for Michael Jordan, so it's good enough for me.
    The books I used were Mike Meyers (covers only minimal level of competence) and the Thompson set (Network+ textbook and Q&A book).
    And remember to have at least 2 practice tests (in addition to practice tests that come with the books). The questions can be worded oddly, some would say deceivingly, so you need to be able to weed the necessary info from the info designed to lead you down the wrong path. Nothing in the books should be considered "fluff" or not important. Know the Linux, Novell, & Mac info. I flubbed a couple of these.
    No matter how paranoid you are, you're not paranoid enough.
  • hortcomhortcom Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hard luck mate, but I did the same too. Failed twice but went onto to get the CCNA and came back to get the Network+.

Whatever you do with all that knowledge in your head don't give up, because another yr down the line you will have to re-learn!!

Keep at it, it will be worth it in the end.
  • ph4nt0mph4nt0m Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    raied wrote:
    I passed the Network + the first time using only Sybex study guide 4th edition.
    Good luck

I also used this book, it's great. Understand the material don't memo it. KEEP YOUR COOL on the exam.
  • dgray2003dgray2003 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    sure memorization of facts works, but using what you are learning is the essential way of doing certifications. The more you use it me more you know it. therefore when it comes test time you are not cramming just before you enter the testing center you either know it or you dont... its that simple