Options

Security+ Study Timeline

pizzafordinnapizzafordinna Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello all! I'm super glad I found this site, it looks like a great resource. I'm currently a rising Senior in college and completed my A+ certification this January. While I'm still finding out what i'm interested in, security has been an area I've wanted to explore for some time. I would like to try and complete my Security+ by the end of the summer. Currently I am an IT Intern for a small business (my first field related job).

My question is: do you think four months of dedicated study is enough for someone who doesn't have much field experience? I'm not looking to just memorize and cram to pass, I actually want to learn at a pace where I can apply my knowledge.

Comments

• Options
    BlackBeretBlackBeret Member Posts: 683 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I'd say that it's more then enough. What is your degree in out of curiosity? I got my associates in network security and had no problem with the Net+ or Sec+ tests with about 2 weeks of study on each.
  • Options
    pizzafordinnapizzafordinna Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    BlackBeret wrote: »
    I'd say that it's more then enough. What is your degree in out of curiosity? I got my associates in network security and had no problem with the Net+ or Sec+ tests with about 2 weeks of study on each.

I'm a computer science major. I would say so far that my degree has given me a good foundation in programming, but not much else. Most of my knowledge has been picked up from my own personal interests and projects. My interest in computers didn't spark until I reached college. I learn stuff all the time that is common knowledge to those who grew up around computers which is why I feel the need to allot myself so much time.
  • Options
    no!all!no!all! Member Posts: 245 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I agree with pizzafordinna, 4 months seems more than enough.
    A+, N+, S+, CCNA:RS, CCNA:Sec

"In high society TCP is more welcome than UDP. At least it knows a proper handshake" - Ben Franklin

2019 Goals: CCNP:RS & relocate to St. Pete, FL!