Linux or Windows as main OS

finhackfinhack Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
Wanted to know what everyone here have as main OS i have been thinking of replacing windows for Linux but office still has no good alternatives
Suggestions? Win inside of a vm running on Linux seems like too much of a hassle

Comments

• stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I use Linux on my computer. If you use VMware Workstation 10, Windows is close to native speed. Not to mention, installing it is pretty straight forward.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    I plan on doing a linix vm to use as my primary os, haven't really dug into which one to learn with though, that actually sounds lkme a good goal for today.
  • ZoovashZoovash Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm using Win 7 64-bit on main desktop PC, for movies, games, GNS3 and different VMs.
    On laptop I'm using Kali Linux for learning purposes, I also have a few VMs here.
    If you need to run both Linux and Windows, I would suggest Win VM on Linux, at least this works best for me on my work PC, gives me a lot of flexibility.
  • wes allenwes allen Member Posts: 540 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Mac OS on the desktop (which provides all the unix CLI goodness, native python, etc), along with Kali VM and a target VM or two. Ubuntu 14.04 on my laptop. Windows at work.

Ran Linux on my laptop as my main machine for a while - it is was OK, but I really like OS X much better. Might go with Win 8.1 on the laptop now though, need to work on my PowerShell, and linux gets annoying for day to day use sometimes.
  • yzTyzT Member Posts: 365 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Linux, LMDE Cinnamon right now.
  • jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Windows Vista at home icon_redface.gif
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Win 7 professional at home mini atx desktop
    Windows 8.1 at Work on Lenovo desktop
    I passed on a laptop I just remote into my desktop at work and have full functionality.
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I think it largely boils down to what you want to do.

On my primary desktop - I run Linux - but that is primarily out of habit because it's what I've done for a long time. I use Linux primarily as a base OS to run X. I also use VMware workstation to run various VM's for whatever I happen to need. For example, I have a Windows 7 VM for general productivity tools like MS Office. I tend to run other Linux and Windows 8 VM's as well depending on my need.

On my laptop, I find it more convenient to Windows 8.1 because of the ease of driver support for the hardware but like my desktop, I run VMWare Workstation to run a Windows 7 VM and Linux depending on what I happen to be needing to do.
  • subnettingpracticesubnettingpractice Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If you need MS office stick with Windows. You can always duel boot or play with linux on a live CD if needed.

For me LibreOffice/google docs is more than enough. I run linux because I use an older laptop as my main computer. A nice stable lightweight version of linux runs wonderfully on it. Windows would probably slow it down too much.
  • stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    jvrlopez wrote: »
    Windows Vista at home icon_redface.gif

Reading this made me cry a little...
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • jmritenourjmritenour Member Posts: 565
    Fedora 20 as my main OS, dual booting Windows 7 for gaming, though that's probably about to go the way of the dinosaur now that most everything I play more or less works on PlayOnLinux.
    "Start by doing what is necessary, then do what is possible; suddenly, you are doing the impossible." - St. Francis of Assisi
  • Kinet1cKinet1c Member Posts: 604 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Fedora 20 here too on my main desktop, also have it running on my netbook. I've got anything important I need running on it - Spotify, Workstation 10, Skype & Steam. Not a huge selection available on steam but enough to keep me happy in between study sessions.
    2018 Goals - Learn all the Hashicorp products

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity
  • gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Windows 7 Professional x64 on my main desktop.

I only run Linux as VM's in my ESX server for testing, I can't use it as a desktop OS.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Mint 16 right now. I use Windows 7 on the company laptop but that's about it.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64 - I'm moving to Windows 8.1 Professional when my new laptop comes in to stock...

Linux DVDs in my house get used to prop wonky tables up... I kid, I kid... :p I use linux with DD-WRT & VMware but I am going to do that edX Linux course a ton of us signed up to do in August so maybe I'll get a handle on it better after that. I doubt I'll ever use linux as my main desktop however...
  • kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    Mint 16 on Server
    Windows 8.1 on Home Laptop. Usually use Windows Laptop more but run VMs on it to experiment.
  • gc8dc95gc8dc95 Member Posts: 206 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Win 8.1 with Linux VM's
  • W StewartW Stewart Member Posts: 794 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I run Arch linux on my laptop and desktop. I'm dual booting with Windows 8 on my laptop only because I don't want to see a product key go to waste.