Options

Which Security MSc?

chesternutchesternut Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
Need help deciding which degree to go for.

Which postgraduate degree would you choose, and why?

MSc Information Security or MSc Information and Network Security.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    NovaHaxNovaHax Member Posts: 502 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Same school or different? As far as the degree name...one isn't going to get you more respect than the other. If they are different schools, you may want to base your decision off of that. Otherwise...see which degree plan has classes that interest you more.
  • Options
    NovaHax wrote: »
    Same school or different? As far as the degree name...one isn't going to get you more respect than the other. If they are different schools, you may want to base your decision off of that. Otherwise...see which degree plan has classes that interest you more.

Different schools.

Former is offered at University of Glasgow, more prestigious, traditional university. 3rd in Scotland, 17th in UK.

The latter is offered by Robert Gordon University. Voted best modern university, not really know outside Scotland. Offers a one year job placement. Also tops highest percentage of graduate employed after study mainly due to several industrial links with oil companies in Aberdeen.
  • Options
    5ekurity5ekurity Member Posts: 346 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Do you have a specific curriculum breakdown?
  • Options
    5ekurity wrote: »
    Do you have a specific curriculum breakdown?

Glasgow's core courses (Information security)
    Component-based software engineering
    Cyber security
    Human-centred security
    Requirements engineering
    Professional skills & issues
    Research methods & techniques
    Safety critical systems
    Trends in information security
    Computing science project proposal.

Robert Gordon's courses (Information and network security)
    Computer Security
    Database Security
    Datamining for Risk Detection
    Network Management (CISCO CCNA)
    Network Security
    Web System Development
    Professional Development and Research Skills
    Project
  • Options
    Glasgow's seems to be more managerial focused whereas the Robert Gordon seems to be more 'hands on' technical security expert. Just my $.02...if you haven't done so already, request a brochure from each and read the details behind each class / curriculum offering.
  • Options
    5ekurity wrote: »
    Glasgow's seems to be more managerial focused whereas the Robert Gordon seems to be more 'hands on' technical security expert. Just my $.02...if you haven't done so already, request a brochure from each and read the details behind each class / curriculum offering.

Thanks. Considering I just recently completed my BSc and have no relevant work experience yet, Robert Gordon is probably the better option.
  • Options
    No problem, good luck to you!