Comcast.....

mistabrumley89mistabrumley89 Member Posts: 356 ■■■□□□□□□□
....is killing me right meow. I just wanna know why my interwebs is so slow icon_twisted.gif
Goals: WGU BS: IT-Sec (DONE) | CCIE Written: In Progress
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/charlesbrumley

Comments

• JackaceJackace Member Posts: 335
    Comcast is terrible. They deliberately slow down the internet for their customers and their peers. We had hundreds of customer complaints saying they couldn't reach anything on Comcast's network reliably, and it didn't change until we paid Comcast for a peering session. Magically everything works better now, but not before Comcast got more money.
  • jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Not to mention 250 GBs a month...break that more than twice and your service is terminated.

Find another ISP.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Let me paint a picture of the crap I just went thru:
    - I have business service. Opened a move request for my new house on 3/29. Per discussion with sales executive, plan was to leave both connections active until June 10-ish. He said it was no problem and I would just get two bills for the time the connections were concurrent
    - Some construction was required at the new place. Service was installed on 4/19.
    - On 4/30 crews were working in my front yard laying some cable. I inquired what they were doing and they said my connection would be down for a bit. It was down for an hour but it came back.
    - Later on 4/30 connection went down again. Called support. They set a tech for the slot of 10AM to 2PM the next day.
    - On 5/1 I got a call early AM confirming the 10-2pm appointment. By 2 the tech didn’t show up so I left. Tech showed up at 3PM and called me indicating that the slot was for 1-3PM. I informed him this was absolutely wrong. Called to see if someone could stop by the same day. The person who talked to me said he would reach out to local dispatch and call me back within 30 min. Never got the call back
    - Also on 5/1 I called back to reschedule the tech and they said they couldn’t schedule anything because there was a general outage in my area
    - Waited until 5/2, called back and got the same story saying that there was an outage. Couldn’t schedule anything.
    - I called support back on 5/3 and they informed me my account was disconnected due to a move. I informed him that there was no way that was accurate as I specifically discussed with my sales executive that both accounts should remain active. He said there was nothing he could do as that was a Sales matter and said for me to call the next day.
    - Monday 5/5 I called the Installs department and a nice lady tried to help me put a work order to get stuff reconnected. She said she would reach out to someone local to me and would call me back. She never did. I did receive a call from someone saying they couldn’t reconnect y service because he couldn’t ping my modem (duh!).
    - 5/5 called support back around noon. Some lady said service was in fact reconnected but there’s another general outage in my area. Basically said to ride out the “outage” and that everything would be fine afterwards (BS)
    - On 5/6 I sent a very angry email to Corporate Escalations. Got a call from someone within 45 minutes. Lady gave me a ticket number. Said she would either email or call me no later than the next morning with an update.
    - On 5/7 AM I called support to try to beg for assistance. A nice guy tried helping me out but he said no one was answering the phone where he ewas calling. The morning came and went. Lady didn't get back to me (surprise!). I called her 3 times. Also kept trying my sales exec. No one answered or returned calls. Finally around 2PM she email me asking if I rebooted my modem liek I didn't think of doing that).
    - 5/7 around 2PM I called support. To my surprise they told me someone was scheduled to stop by between 3-5pm. This is seriously messed up because no one ever told me about this. I just lucked out my wife was home. When the guy showed up he confirmed my underground line was cut by the crews who laid that cable on 4/30. He ran a new line above ground. Modem now had signal but no Internet connection. He left. Had to call support again to do some magic. Service returned around 8PM tonight.

So this issue just took 21 calls to support and almost a week to resolve, all because some genius chopped off a cable.

Here are some resources who helped me: @ComcastMattV, @ComcastMike, esl_corp@cable.comcast.com, brian_roberts@comcast.com (President), we_can_help@cable.comcast.com. I recommend exhausting all support options before hitting these.
  • ratbuddyratbuddy Member Posts: 665
    jvrlopez wrote: »
    Not to mention 250 GBs a month...break that more than twice and your service is terminated.

Let's not resort to fud in here. Comcast sucks, but that's just because they have no competition in many areas. If they were forced to compete, they would have to get their act together. That said, 1. It's really hard to hit the cap. We have two very active internet users who watch an unhealthy amount of Youtube and Netflix, plus download plenty of games from Steam. Still haven't hit the cap. 2. They aren't enforcing the cap anyway. See below.

9stA0xE.jpg
  • MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I used to be a raving Comcast fan until recently. Had a story similar to Cuberguy and my view of them changed ever since.

That being said, the 250GB limit has been (for 10+ months) turned off, at least in my location (Saint Paul, MN). I broadcast a public network to my apartment complex and have done 350 - 500GB on a month basis without issue.

EDIT: How does one post a full size picture?
  • stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Comcast is a confusing company, in my opinion. When I lived in southern Mississippi, my service was rock solid. Now that I live in an affluent town south of Denver, my service fluctuates wildly. No rhyme, no reason...except that it must be my equipment, according to Comcast (same equipment as I had in MS. The exception being the modem, which I'm on my second one).
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • wastedtimewastedtime Member Posts: 586 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I use to have them...I have also had service from both Time Warner and Cox. I still think comcast was the worst. I have verizon FiOS now so most of that I don't have to worry about although I found a issue lately with their router (not that I wouldn't prefer to put my own on there). I did read this article recently from the daily "code project" newsletter email I get. I have a feeling that comcast is one of them.

Major ISPs accused of deliberately throttling traffic | The Verge
  • it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    stryder144 wrote: »
    Comcast is a confusing company, in my opinion. When I lived in southern Mississippi, my service was rock solid. Now that I live in an affluent town south of Denver, my service fluctuates wildly. No rhyme, no reason...except that it must be my equipment, according to Comcast (same equipment as I had in MS. The exception being the modem, which I'm on my second one).

South Denver is pretty bad. There is a reason why I stay on Century Link. They aren't perfect, but they are inexpensive and I provide my own modem so it is rock solid reliable.
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Comcast service can vary widely, it works great for me where I am at but doesn't mean it will be great for somebody the next state or city across from me.

Our 250 GB cap has been suspended for some time, not sure when it will ever go into effect but I know it is being rolled out or already has in some cities. Main reason I got a roof top antenna installed was to avoid streaming major network TV that is being broadcast over the air anyways.
  • joemysteriojoemysterio Member Posts: 152
    It was really easy for my household to reach and at times go past the 250GB limit... it really should be higher than that, at least 500GB IMO. But we never got dinged for it. We switched though to U-verse (regrettably) because Comcast was constantly going down or going really slow. But U-verse blows, especially when trying to watch HD on multiple TVs AND trying to do any sort of download.

*shrugs*
    Current goals: CCNA/CCNP
  • mistabrumley89mistabrumley89 Member Posts: 356 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I spent 30 minutes on hold, for the guy to tell me it was an issue with my wireless connection (it wasn't). As soon as I get off of the phone I lose my internet connection for an hour and a half. Spent 30 more minutes waiting to speak to Tech Support, and as soon as the guy says "Thank you for calling, this is ***, how may I" ***CLICK*** Internet started working perfectly fine.
    Goals: WGU BS: IT-Sec (DONE) | CCIE Written: In Progress
    LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/charlesbrumley
  • beantownmpbeantownmp Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Aside from cost, I have no complaints with Comcast. Just got bumped to 105/10 speeds for free. Fios has been growing momentum in our area so I'm guessing this is why they upped it.