CEH passed today

LostpacketLostpacket Member Posts: 25 ■■■□□□□□□□
I used the AIO book and practice exams book, along with skimming a older Sybex v6? CEH book I got from a friend.

I think together they covered the vast majority ofthings that were on the exam.

The exam covers a really wide array of 'stuff'.

For me, the hardest things were memorizing all of the various switches for all of the different tools. To learn them I ended up just typing them in a doc one after another line by line double spaced and then printing it off and trying to fill in the meaning of each one while sitting on the couch watching TV. I must have done that 6-8 times for each tool.

I know some have been disappointed with what they have / haven't learned for this one, but I am happy with the knowledge I gained and felt it was a worthwhile cert to earn. I feel a more accurate title might be "Intro to Ethical Hacking" as it's not terribly deep but I think it's good exposure to a lot of different tools / exploit types.

Comments

• JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Congrats on the pass!
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• realPSIrealPSI Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • BlackBeretBlackBeret Member Posts: 683 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Were there any tools that it seemed particularly heavy on?
  • shajeershajeer Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats Lostpacket on the pass and all the best for JoJoCal19.

@Lostpacket, AIO book used by you was the 1st edition or 2nd edition.

Thanks
  • LostpacketLostpacket Member Posts: 25 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I used the Matt Walker 1st Edition AIO books.

As far as tools go... all I will say is Matt Walker makes a comment in his book that knowing nmap switches is crucial. I say listen to the man.
  • jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass! Loved the Walker book.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • DoyenDoyen Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations! What were you impressions of the test vs. the materials you used to study? I've read a lot of mix reviews about the CEH exam.
    Goals for 2016: [] VCP 5.5: ICM (recertifying) , [ ] VMware VCA-NV, [ ] 640-911 DCICN, [ ] 640-916 DCICT, [ ] CCNA: Data Center, [ ] CISSP (Associate), [ ] 300-101 ROUTE, [ ] 300-115 SWITCH, [ ] 300-135 TSHOOT, [ ] CCNP: Route & Switch, [ ] CEHv8, [ ] LX0-103, [ ] LX0-104
    Future Goals: WGU MSISA or Capital Technology Univerisity MSCIS Degree Program
    Click here to connect with me on LinkedIn! Just mention your are from Techexams.net.
    Doyen wrote: »
    Congratulations! What were you impressions of the test vs. the materials you used to study? I've read a lot of mix reviews about the CEH exam.

Mixed reviews is right.

I think if a person is expecting to be a hacker of any kind when they finish this cert, they will be sorely disappointed. It definitely felt like a logical next step after Security+ though and seemed like a bit of a step up in terms of difficulty.

This is one exam where I think you can either cram all the info on the various tools or you can install and use as many of them as possible on a VM at home and get familiar with them. There is a ton of info you will need to just plain memorize (command switches especially), but a lot of the other info I think is fundamental stuff that you could build on later if you went into pen testing.

The study materials were completely adequate. I read the AIO book and then took the practice exam at the end, went through the practice exam book, and then went back and quickly re-read the AIO book again. The second time through I skimmed the chapters I had down cold and just concentrated on the sections I needed to work on. I flipped through an old Sybex book too but not much.
  • Chivalry1Chivalry1 Member Posts: 569
    Congrats on your pass. The exam is well worth the knowledge in my opinion. As in any exam, it builds a framework.
    "The recipe for perpetual ignorance is: be satisfied with your opinions and
    content with your knowledge. " Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)
  • w77mw77m Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the cert. I meant to have this done last year I think but got off track. Did you take the CEH V8 exam using the 1st Edition of the Matt Walker book? I know the 2nd edition is out and wondering if the 1st edition is good enough for the V8 exam?
  • jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass!
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
    w77m wrote: »
    Congrats on the cert. I meant to have this done last year I think but got off track. Did you take the CEH V8 exam using the 1st Edition of the Matt Walker book? I know the 2nd edition is out and wondering if the 1st edition is good enough for the V8 exam?

I used the 1st Edition.

Based on my Googlefu there appears to be very little if any difference between V7 and V8.

The book adequately prepares you for the exam. The assumption again though is that you have installed and used the core tools to some degree and are familiar with the various modes and switches.
    jvrlopez wrote: »
    Congrats on the pass!

Thank you!
    Chivalry1 wrote: »
    Congrats on your pass. The exam is well worth the knowledge in my opinion. As in any exam, it builds a framework.

I agree 100% I found the material interesting and feel this cert is just one step on a very long path.