GIAC Challenge...What can I bring?

NovaHaxNovaHax Member Posts: 502 ■■■■□□□□□□
So I'm about to challenge my first GIAC exam (specifically GCIH)...and have a few questions:

1. I can bring study materials, even if I didn't take the SANS course, right? (I'm pretty sure the answer to this is yes)

2. Obviously I can't bring official course material (that would probably raise some eyebrows)...but can I bring SANS material. SANS has a lot of publicly available white papers, **** sheets, etc... Can I bring these?

Comments

• YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yes, you can bring study materials. Including the official SANS courseware.
    Allowed Materials

GIAC certification exams are open book format, but not open internet or open computer. Candidates are allowed to bring an armful of hardcopy books and notes into the testing room, leaving all other personal belongings such as wallets, purses, hats (and other head coverings), bags and coats outside of the testing room. Weapons are not allowed on testing center premises. Please leave weapons (guns, knives, etc.) at home or stored securely in your vehicle. An erasable noteboard and pen will be provided for you. Workstation space may be as limited as 4 feet (1.2 meters) wide, so please plan accordingly.
    Electronic devices (laptops, PDAs, thumb drives, software applications, phones, calculators, cameras, etc.) are strictly forbidden. You will be provided with an onscreen calculator, should you need one during the test. Candidates are not able to access anything stored electronically during the exam (.pdf or Word documents, Internet websites, etc.). The testing process only allows one connection out to the GIAC Exam Engine. It will not allow connections to private web pages, so any material posted to private web pages is not accessible during GIAC exams. We recommend that you print any study guide materials and bring them as hard, paper copies.

GIAC Exam Preparation Overview
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I went crazy. I brought the official material, notes and of course an alphabetical index I created of the books. You REALLY want an index. The lady at the counter was a little puzzled when I walked in :)
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I can't emphasize enough the importance of the index. If you really understand the material and have a good index, you may not even need to open the books. See my indexing strategy here: http://www.techexams.net/forums/sans-institute-giac-certifications/98047-passed-gcih.html
  • LionelTeoLionelTeo Member Posts: 526 ■■■■■■■□□□
    You can bring any books as long as your book bag size can hold ;)
  • NovaHaxNovaHax Member Posts: 502 ■■■■□□□□□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »

Lol @ middle stack

Whois Research:
    Defenses - Live with it