A+ needed??

md2bxmd2bx Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello folks, I have 2 questions:

1) Do I need to be A+ certified to take the Network+ exam?

2) IF I want to take the CCNA and have no previous knolwdge of networks should I jump right into the Cisco material or study and pass the Network+ first??

md2bx
A winner knows how much he still has to learn, even when he is considered an expert by others. A looser wants to be considered an expert by others before he has learned enough to know how little he knows.

Comments

• WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    md2bx wrote:
    1) Do I need to be A+ certified to take the Network+ exam?
    No.
    md2bx wrote:
    2) IF I want to take the CCNA and have no previous knowledge of networks should I jump right into the Cisco material or study and pass the Network+ first??
    This depends:
    When you are planning to attend the Interconnecting Cisco Network Devices course,
    I would recommend at least studying Network+, since Network+ pretty much covers the prerequisites for this course. (click here for details.)
    Or you could take the 'Cisco Certified Network Associate Basics' but studying AND passing Network+ will cost you less than attending this 4-day course.

If you are using a book and are able to get some hands-on with a couple of routers and switches than getting a Sybex, Todd Lammle or Cisco Press book and using the online study guides available at many sites and our practice exams ;) you could skip Network+

Still, my advice would be: get Network+ first and then CCNA, especially if you haven't taken any MS exams such as Net Essentials or 70-216 alias The Beast.

I hope this helps!

Johan
  • PavlovPavlov Member Posts: 264
    just a quick .02 here... I am a firm believer in laying the solid foundation before building the house. To me the foundation for a long IT career is well balanced basics. CompTIA is nice becuase it's vendor neutral and I thought that combining the A+ followed by teh Net+ really provided me a solid foundation to then move onto the vendor specific certs like those from MS or Cisco.
    Pavlov
    A+, Net+, i-Net+, CIW-A
    MCP NT4, MCSA 2K, MCSE 2K