640-554 notes to come soon for those who want an outline for their studies

OfWolfAndManOfWolfAndMan Member Posts: 923 ■■■■□□□□□□
Just checking in guys to let you know I plan to take the NA Security in the next couple of weeks as I have just finished Chris Bryant's videos. I would probably go for it sooner, but I have promotion testing due within this next week, so I'm caught in between two lines of studying. Here are my goals in the next couple of weeks:
-(Currently) Overviewing the lab guide (While playing with CCP a couple more times. I'm used to the CLI)
-Run through OCG and brush up on that which is still foreign to me
-Rewrite all the notes I already wrote in my notebook on Evernote so it will stick and share.

I'll post the link as I accumulate the bulk of the notes. Probably won't be all in one setting, but I'll try laying it out in an appropriate order.
I'd like to say thanks to this forum for all the support and unsurpassed troubleshooting skills! You guys rock!
:study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []

Comments

• Jamm1nJamm1n Member Posts: 106 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well good luck!

Thats great you will be sharing notes as well. I am just starting CCNA security today actually. I heard it only uses CCP and is more of an multiple guess type of test. Is that correct?
  • union122union122 Member Posts: 41 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Great ! I am planning NA -Sec. also.
  • OfWolfAndManOfWolfAndMan Member Posts: 923 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yes, for the most part, it is all CCP. When you go over IDS/IPS, AAA, NTP, ACLs, etc you will be shown how to do most of the commands (Except IDS/IPS), but you'll also get a hands on of how it's done in CCP as well. As for command line, most of it comes in on parser views, ntp (Very simple to configure), AAA, IOS resilient config, a handful of user interface commands, etc. You'll also get to configure a basic VPN on CCP and a basic ASA config on ASDM (I don't have ASDM so I'm just overviewing that part). If you have GNS3, you can get CCP working by configuring one of the interfaces on your router to attach to a Microsoft loopback adapter (Which you have to configure) to a cloud interface within GNS3, and you just have to input the IP and login info when in CCP. You'll need the following commands for it to discover:

#ip http server (Or ip http secure-server if you add ssh. I'd just stick with telnet)
    #ip http authentication local
    #username *username* privilege 15 (You MUST have privilege 15 for it to work) secret *password*
    #line vty 0 4
    #login local

There is documentation to get this working on the net. Just type "CCP in GNS3" and you should have something come up. If I can I'll add a tutorial when I write the notes.

One thing I did not find in the OCG that I found in the exam topics on Cisco's website is PVLANs (Private VLANs). Make sure you check that out as well.
    :study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []
    Thanks for the insight. Im sure I will refer back here quite often.
    Here's some good documentation on PVLAN:

Configuring Isolated Private VLANs on Catalyst Switches - Cisco

Basically, private vlans are a L2 feature that allows you to prevent communication to some devices and allow to others (Not necessarily on the same vlan).
    -Promiscuous ports can communicate with everyone (Also called "primary" private vlan)
    -Community ports can communicate with promiscuous ports and themselves
    -Isolated ports can ONLY communicate with promiscuous ports
    I'll add it into my notes, but I don't think they require the configs. Just the concept.
    Thanks that is great, I don't feel like this test will be to bad considering my background. Are the bryant videos more up to date then cbtnuggets?
    I used the Bryant Videos primarily. Honestly, I only went over a few of the CBT Nuggets videos so I couldn't tell you, but from what I watched, they pretty much had the same stuff as Bryant did (Except the teachers had different methods of delivery). I've heard plenty of good for CBT Nuggets on this cert track though.
  • thenappyonethenappyone Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    [FONT=arial, sans-serif]I recently started my CCNA Sec studies myself and find the Nuggets vids to be pretty good. I like Keith Barker's enthusiasm, his vids are pretty easy to watch in comparison to others that I have seen.[/FONT]
    Yeah I have always liked the teaching method at cbtnuggets.
  • Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    Looks like you are well prepared. Good luck! Plus if your name comes from where I think it comes...the force will be strong with you and you will score 1000/1000 :D
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
    Looks like you are well prepared. Good luck! Plus if your name comes from where I think it comes...the force will be strong with you and you will score 1000/1000 :D

Well if your name comes from where I think it comes... I believe the force has been strong with you as well looking at your cert track @Master of Puppets. I hunt, therefore I am!
    :D
    FYI notes are almost complete. Got VPN, IPv6, and defense-in depth to complete and that should be it. Book overview is two-thirds complete. CCP overview about halfway.
    It seems we are on the same page :D Awesome.

You obviously know what you will need for the exam so I don't think there is anything I can add besides emphasasing on being comfortable with CCP because it really is needed for the test.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
    In that case, I will be doing plenty of CCP lab before the test!

Update: Second draft of notes :D
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0MMqHN75RpGTW1nNVNNVmNPUTA/edit?usp=sharing
    Update: Exam scheduled for 15 May. Just got done with the promo test today so it's off to finalizing my studies and getting this test done. Then onto ROUTE!
    Wow those are some great notes to expand on, that will be extremely helpful. Test will be here before you know it, good luck!
  • showboshowbo Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thank you, just downloaded the 2nd revision and will be studying this for sure!
    Alright guys, the link above is no longer valid. These are my final notes I will be posting below (I added a few topics and added on to certain ones as well. There was some spelling errors too). If you see any errors in the text, please let me know. Thanks!

Update: CCP labbing's been consistent. Gonna do a little more labbing and overview the vids, books and notes before the test next Thursday.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0MMqHN75RpGcjRnMmd6aUktRDA/edit?usp=sharing
    Good luck on Thursday! Seek and destroy!
    Well, good news guys: I passed :D 949. Overall it was a fair test but I know where about half of my mistakes were haha. I'll say that CCP
    labbing came in handy though!
    That's great to hear, congrats! What's next?
    Onto the CCNP! I wanna start out with ROUTE because a lot of the switch stuff I know due to my job. BGP, IPv6 and route filtering will be the newest topics to me in terms of depth
  • atorvenatorven Member Posts: 319
    Congrats, do you mind sharing your CCP labbing techniques, at the moment that's my weakest area.
    In terms of that, I primarily used Chris Bryant and the Lab Manual to practice all the CCP. They both had a lot of the same stuff, but the biggest ones emphasized in both of the materials were NTP, ACLs, Security Audit feature, the Firewall stuff, setting up AAA services, template creation, user profiles, and setting up the VPN. Here's the link for the lab manual: http://cisco.inf.fh-brs.de/CCNA_Security/en_Security_Lab_SLM_PDF_v1100.pdf

For me, I basically setup a router on GNS3 and applied EVERYTHING to the router I could (Making sure I didn't lock myself out with either the audit wizard or the firewall lol :D) and then afterwords I went through and checked out how everything came together. I wish we could use a gui like this at work! It would make configuration so much easier! Unfortunately it's against regulation icon_sad.gif
    Congrats! Thanks for the insight as well, been going through the book and your outline. Good luck with CCNP!
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats from one Metallica fan to another :) \m/
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
    \m/ Shout out to all you Metallica fans! Searchiinnnnnnnnnnnn! Seek and Destroy!
  • atorvenatorven Member Posts: 319
    Thanks OfWolfAndMan
  • DoyenDoyen Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well, good news guys: I passed :D 949. Overall it was a fair test but I know where about half of my mistakes were haha. I'll say that CCP
    labbing came in handy though!

Congratulations on your CCNA: Security and thank you for sharing your notes icon_thumright.gif
    Goals for 2016: [] VCP 5.5: ICM (recertifying) , [ ] VMware VCA-NV, [ ] 640-911 DCICN, [ ] 640-916 DCICT, [ ] CCNA: Data Center, [ ] CISSP (Associate), [ ] 300-101 ROUTE, [ ] 300-115 SWITCH, [ ] 300-135 TSHOOT, [ ] CCNP: Route & Switch, [ ] CEHv8, [ ] LX0-103, [ ] LX0-104
    Future Goals: WGU MSISA or Capital Technology Univerisity MSCIS Degree Program
    Click here to connect with me on LinkedIn! Just mention your are from Techexams.net.