Options

Anyone currently studying for MCSA 2012?

I am starting to study for MCSA 2012 and looking for someone that is currently studying it to bounce ideas off each other. If anyone is interested feel free to send me a message.

Thanks.
2017 Goals:
Route[X], Switch [], TSHOOT[]

Comments

• Options
    omi2123omi2123 Member Posts: 189
    I'll start next month....right now getting ready to take the win8 70-687 test this month....for 2012 mcsa, i bought the craig zacker book. which one did u buy? i also plan on using pluralsight video lesson as well.....send me a message if u dont mind so i can remember to buzz u when i start studying for it.
  • Options
    shyguyITshyguyIT Member Posts: 380
    Sounds good ill send you a message I bought the Mastering Server 2012 R2. From the reviews it seems like the official MS books are lacking in details which is why I decided to go with this one.
    2017 Goals:
  • Options
    kingorankskingoranks Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am also studying for 70-410, I have the CBT 2012 but not the R2 and I am reading craig book. I currently use server 2012 at work and looking to set up a lab
  • Options
    ThePrimetimerThePrimetimer Member Posts: 169 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've got all my stuff. Got the CBT Nuggets R2 and the Mastering R2 book. Looking to get the Exam Ref to round things out. I think these 3 should be enough to overcome this exam. And TechNet, since it's free.

The only problem I have is going to be my lab. The desktop I have is a dual core Vista Home with 6GB RAM. Currently looking to bring something newer and beefier into the mix, but I'll start and see how far I can go with my current one.

Should be a good thread to keep each other motivated. If any of you have questions, pm me, and I'll do that same to you.
    "You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It’s about how hard you can get it and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That’s how winning is done"
  • Options
    A lot of people have been mentioning Craig Zacker's book is it worth getting?
    2017 Goals:
  • Options
    ShdwmageShdwmage Member Posts: 374
    I'm just starting study for my 70-410.
    --
    “Hey! Listen!” ~ Navi
    2013: [x] MCTS 70-680
    2014: [x] 22-801 [x] 22-802 [x] CIW Web Foundation Associate
    2015 Goals: [] 70-410
  • Options
    bmcb555bmcb555 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am using Craig Zackers book. I feel its more like a **** sheet giving you a idea of what you need to know but not in detail, I complement my study with Technet. Yeah its boring to read but it's FREE :)
  • Options
    I've got all my stuff. Got the CBT Nuggets R2 and the Mastering R2 book. Looking to get the Exam Ref to round things out. I think these 3 should be enough to overcome this exam. And TechNet, since it's free.

The only problem I have is going to be my lab. The desktop I have is a dual core Vista Home with 6GB RAM. Currently looking to bring something newer and beefier into the mix, but I'll start and see how far I can go with my current one.

Should be a good thread to keep each other motivated. If any of you have questions, pm me, and I'll do that same to you.

I purchased this on the recommendation from another thread: HP Proliant DL160 G6 1U 2X Xeon QC L5520 2 26GHz 4XTRAYS 72GB DDR3 Special Qty 000491532004 | eBay

As well as an 64gb SSD to run VSphere, AD, and Sophos Home UTM, and a 2tb HD for my other VMs.

I should get it in the next day or so. Hopefully that will meet my needs for a few years anyhow.
    --
    “Hey! Listen!” ~ Navi
  • Options
    kingorankskingoranks Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi,

I am interested in sharing idea on setting up a lab.
  • Options
    flyerxlflyerxl Member Posts: 27 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Will be studying also, got the CCENT to do next then throwing myself into the MCSA\SE.
  • Options
    msipumsipu Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey,,, i just started today studying for the MCSA 70 - 410 exam and feel free to kindly share with me any material that you have relating to the course and will definitely share with you as well anything that may be of interest.

thanks
  • Options
    omi2123omi2123 Member Posts: 189
    yes it is.....
    shyguyIT wrote: »
    A lot of people have been mentioning Craig Zacker's book is it worth getting?
  • Options
    techwizardtechwizard Member Posts: 162 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I recently attempted to take the Cisco R+S 200-120 exam, on 5/7/2014. I prepped for it using testout's exam course and the exam cram book, and Todd Lammel's book. I tried to study and prep for the exam in about 2.5 months. I took the exam and failed, with a 450/825. The sims got me good, I drew a blank on most of them, because I did not have access to actual Cisco equipment to lab with. I feel like I didnt study hard enough or for long enough. Even studying for 4-5 hours a day for 2.5 months wasn't enough. I totally admit that even on the day of the exam, I felt like it wasn't going to happen. I just had that feeling. I felt bad and disappointed for a day or so, for failing, and not doing enough to learn the material. I am not going to attempt to re take it, instead I am moving on, to Microsoft's Windows Server MCSA 70-410, 70-411, 70-412 track. The Cisco experience was a learning experience, I think I am much more comfortable and familiar with software side of things. I thought about it, and if and when I do decide to re take the Cisco exam, I will do it after the MS track, because I realize now that I need to dedicate a lot more time on it.

So, with that being said, I am starting as of today on my first of the three MCSA Windows Server 2012 exams, 70-410. I am going to attempt to learn the material, and prep for the exam all in about 2 weeks. I figured if I spend about 5 or 6 hours a day studying for it, it can be done. One reason I am doing that for the 70-410 is I am attempting to take advantage of the 20% discount that will still be valid for that exam up to the end of May. Is the retake cooldown for MS exams still around a day? If so, I can also take advantage of the second shot before the end of the month as well. I know this might be a bit of a stretch but I am going to give this one a well aimed shot. I am already very familiar with windows 7 and 8. I have Windows Server 2012 evaluation installed on my vmware workstation lab. I will be using testouts course, which is 43 hours long, and "installing and configuring Windows Server 2012R2 Exam Ref 70-410 by Craig Zacker and Mastering Windows Server 2012R2 (the hefty 1670 page book, that covers all three exams in one book).

Good luck to everyone on this one!
    "Never give up" ~ Winston Churchill
  • Options
    I believe it's a 24-hour cooldown after an exam. I can't remember though.
    --
    “Hey! Listen!” ~ Navi
  • Options
    ComputerForensicsComputerForensics Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am starting to study for MCSA 2012 . If anyone is interested feel free to send me a message.
  • Options
    kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I bought the MCSA exam pack last week so I could get the 15% off and have till the end of the year to take and use the second shot if needed. I am starting to study for the 70-410 as well on my way to MCSE by the end of the year but we will see. With a demanding family life studying isn't very easy. I scheduled my first challenge for May 30th but I think I might knock that back a few weeks before they try to charge me $35 to reschedule. itdvds.com is currently working on getting cbt's done for this as well and they will all be dedicated to R2 content so I would keep checking back there as its only $25 a month.
  • Options
    So how are we all going to keep in contact and keep each other accountable?
    --
    “Hey! Listen!” ~ Navi
  • Options
    MrJimbo19MrJimbo19 Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Shdwmage wrote: »
    I purchased this on the recommendation from another thread: HP Proliant DL160 G6 1U 2X Xeon QC L5520 2 26GHz 4XTRAYS 72GB DDR3 Special Qty 000491532004 | eBay

As well as an 64gb SSD to run VSphere, AD, and Sophos Home UTM, and a 2tb HD for my other VMs.

I should get it in the next day or so. Hopefully that will meet my needs for a few years anyhow.

I love to hear how this runs noise wise, I have been eyeing a similar box and have only dealt with the 2u and larger and noise on anything older than the g7 was kinda bad. thanks for any insight you may have!
  • Options
    EspiOneEspiOne Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Keep me in the loop, I just finished a failing hit with Server 2008 and moving on to Server 2012, I might have better luck. Just purchased my upgrade pack. I am currently look and see and reference material. I have purchased two book to start with 70-417, MS Press and Sybex, to include Inside/out and Pocket Admin. I also have a Pluralsight Account, $29 a month, unlimited videos, less expensive then CBT.
  • Options
    My goal is to set the server up today. I received it yesterday, but didn't have time to get it up and running. On a bright note it came with rails.
    --
    “Hey! Listen!” ~ Navi
  • Options
    xnxxnx Member Posts: 464 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I don't want to be a pessimist but there's much more to learn on the MCSA. Also i'd avise you to do CCENT first and make sure you have the fundamentals down first, CCNA sims are mostly about comparing Running Configurations and spotting the problem.
    Getting There ...

Lab Equipment: Using Cisco CSRs and 4 Switches currently
  • Options
    qcomerqcomer Member Posts: 142
    I am working on my MCSA 2012. I have 70-412 scheduled next month. I've been taking an exam every other month. Feel free to message me, add me on LinkedIn, etc. :)
  • Options
    sacredboysacredboy Member Posts: 303 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Currently I'm in the beginning on my MCSA/MCSE 2012 way. I've already started with watching CBT Nuggets 70-410.
    Best, sacredboy!
  • Options
    JYoung3408JYoung3408 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi guys/gals/, I just recently became A+ certified, but I am interested in the MCSA/SE do you guys think thats a good idea or should I get some more experience first? I am also about to start studying for my Project Management Professional (PMP) cert in about 2 weeks. Thanks!
  • Options
    FullTilt151FullTilt151 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I focused my studying on the Zacker book along with a test lab. I failed. I dont think the book is in depth enough honestly. I have the mastering R2 book now.
  • Options
    transcendtranscend Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am working through CBT Nuggets right now. This should be fairly simple compared to the CCNP.
  • Options
    I will create a Google hangout and invite anyone interested in joining up. That way we can discuss any questions or suggestions we might have while we study for the tests.
    2017 Goals:
  • Options
    TylerBarrettTylerBarrett Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've started to study for the exams too. Using ExamForce/CramMaster for practice multiple choice questions. Package also comes with texts and I've read up on the TechNet articles posted in this forum. I have two servers with Server 2012 on them (HP Proliant with 4 160GB SAS drives, and a Dell Poweredge with 5 160GB drives) that I'm going to use for practice purposes. I also do all of the server work for the MSP I'm at so I get lots of exposure to it on a somewhat regular basis. No Hyper-V however so I'll have to brush up on that and rely on what I learned in school a couple years ago. Finished the certs in my signature so we'll see how it goes. Not sure when I'm going to be taking the first exam as I am working 3 jobs to pay off student debts so finding time to study isn't going well really.
  • Options
    mastermind2009mastermind2009 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    @ShyGuyIT I am starting today for 70 -410 exam.I have CBT Nuggets with R2 updates and Craig Zacker's R2 book. I also have TrainSignal videos and ofcourse techexams. I have just started reading the book and watching the videos. For labs I had installed VMWare on my DELL XPS 15Z 7gb Ram 2.86ghz but then I have to uninstall it as my laptop was slow and now one of my friend had suggested to buy labs @MOAC labs or this http://www.amazon.co.uk/70-410-Installing-Configuring-Windows-Server/dp/1118882318/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1400145426&sr=1-2&keywords=70-410+Installing+%26+Configuring+Windows+Server+2012+R2+Lab (still to be released )
  • Options
    kr1pskr1ps Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi,

Im interesting in the group. pls add me.