quick ccna

kyleblackkyleblack Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
I need to find the most quickest, effective way to study the ccna. I have very little IT experience but need to pass that test. ive been reading this book and it is kind of tough for me to pick it up. any help would be great.
kyleblack
Kyle J. Black

Comments

• moss12moss12 Banned Posts: 220 ■■□□□□□□□□
    dude kyle then please give up if u can't put in hard work

GIVE UP ON CCNA

do u have a degree ?
  • TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    kyleblack wrote:
    I need to find the most quickest, effective way to pass the ccna. I have very little IT experience but need to pass that test. ive been reading this book and it is kind of tough for me to pick it up. any help would be great.
    kyleblack

Why do you need to pass the exam so quickly? You need to put in hard work to get something out of it. I know that sounds elementary, but your post made me 'lol' to be honest.

icon_confused.gif
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You might try reading the reply to your first post.... and maybe comment on why the response and the link that response contained don't meet your need for speed.

All it takes is motivation and dedication and some brain cells.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • kyleblackkyleblack Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    well i guess i feel over my head like i missed a step. should i start with networking+, or what is a solid starting block??
    Kyle J. Black
    Well -- if you can't subnet, you probably won't be able to network. There is a lot of trivia you need to learn (INTRO or Network+) since you don't have a networking background -- but subnetting is the skill you need to master to continue on....

Since you don't have an IT background, the Network+ wouldn't cost you much time (since it does overlap so much with the INTRO portion of the CCNA) and it would let you know if you posess the techie gene.

Exactly what is your time frame -- and why? Will you get a job in the computer department if you have your CCNA by the end of July? Or do you just want to get out of where you're at and think the IT department is fun?
  • bbbngowcbbbngowc Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Dude, the CCNA exam is not easy. If you don't understand the concepts you will never pass. Take your time and study. Learn the concepts, you'll benefit more from it.
    i have wanted to be in the computer field since high school. I just havent had anyone to push me... and now i am able to give myself the push i need i just dont have a mentor. I know where i want to be just not really how to get there. I know either way it will take a long time to get there, I am just ancy.I am sure if IT is fun but i know i want to do it. I think i have the techie gene I taught myself to code html (well the very basics) I pick up computer related things very fast. I am just real confused on where I should start now... A+ Net+ how do i gain hands on experience, i live in such a small town we really dont have anywhere to volunteer or i would. what would you do?
    Kyle J. Black
  • moss12moss12 Banned Posts: 220 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Get a degree in IT and after get certificates
  • mwgoodmwgood Member Posts: 293
    i have wanted to be in the computer field since high school. I just havent had anyone to push me... and now i am able to give myself the push i need i just dont have a mentor. I know where i want to be just not really how to get there. I know either way it will take a long time to get there, I am just ancy.I am sure if IT is fun but i know i want to do it. I think i have the techie gene I taught myself to code html (well the very basics) I pick up computer related things very fast. I am just real confused on where I should start now... A+ Net+ how do i gain hands on experience, i live in such a small town we really dont have anywhere to volunteer or i would. what would you do?

If you really want to be in IT - just start at the beginning (whatever level you are at now) - take any reasonable opportunity to get experience - don't worry about planning out the entire path since that will change.

Work hard and allow yourself the time you need. The rest will take care of itself.
    Tough crowd tonight.... icon_lol.gif

Pick something and go for it. The Cisco Press books can be dull as dirt, but if you read the suggested set of books, every thing you need to learn (and more) is there. Then there are the 3rd party books that may be more fun to read, and more focused, but you give up a lot of the background material (that you need to learn the stuff for the first time). Usually a combination of the two works best.

You still haven't given us much info to go on -- did you have a dream where you were told to get the CCNA? Or is it a job opportunity at work that they would hold open for you if you show you're motiviated by learning the stuff on your own and getting the CCNA?

<<fixed typo "my be for fun" to "may be more fun">>
    well i have a relative who works in the computer department and he told me i could get in if i got the ccna. he said it should only take me six months. i wanted to get it faster to impress him. thats the only reason i have been in a frenzy to get it done quick. I know now that it will take me (with no IT experience) a lot longer. I am fine with that but now i just want to learn the base and work from there.
    Kyle J. Black
    kyleblack wrote:
    well i have a relative who works in the computer department and he told me i could get in if i got the ccna. he said it should only take me six months. i wanted to get it faster to impress him. thats the only reason i have been in a frenzy to get it done quick.
    Hum... Okay, now that we can work with. Is 4 months quick enough? If you're motivated and dedicated you could easily do it in 4 months. I think we've had a couple others here recently do that.

You want a plan -- study for the Network+ for 2 weeks. Check out the learntosubnet site and the subnettingquestions site. Before you spend the money for the Network+ exam, check with that relative to make sure they weren't joking around with you.

One of the things to consider -- how will you do the hands-on stuff? Do you have access to routers at work? switches? Is there a lab? Are you going to buy some routers and switches on eBay for a home lab or are you going try and get by with the Boson Simulator?
  • wizarddeathwizarddeath Member Posts: 115
    6 months? THATS ALONG TIME!! Now I know I did fail my first test, not by some huge margin. Im completely new to Cisco, but have my Network+ and A+(which I only started studying for about 2 months ago).

4 months would be NO PROBLEM. If you have ny computer experience(home network, experience with computers home use, building troubleshooting, setting up), I think you could roll out a CCNA in under 2 months. Reading the Sybex, and examcram book.

2 chapters a day reading, buy a home lab, run through the labs, quite a few times, do every lab in every book atleast 4 times a week. After 2 months of eating and breathing Cisco you should be fine. Now if I dont pass this week when I try, I may be missing something. If you focus and put in the time, youll be fine.

This is a grueling schedule, but you said fast.
    70-291 Next....
    ok so you are saying 4 months for a person with no experience. I am going to have trouble getting a hands on lab. I am trying to round up things.
    You want a plan -- study for the Network+ for 2 weeks. Check out the learntosubnet site and the subnettingquestions site. Before you spend the money for the Network+ exam, check with that relative to make sure they weren't joking around with you.
    I know he was not joking. I have to get my certs. and wait for a spot. He made it sound like there were guys retireing soon so i wanted to hurry up. but i think now i will take my time and put the time and work. I guess i will take the net+ exam.. you say two weeks of studying for that one eh? I also was told to get the A+ along with ccna. ok well i will get on the net+, thanks for the help any more advice i will gladly take. thanks again.
    Kyle J. Black
    kyleblack wrote:
    you say two weeks of studying for that one eh? I also was told to get the A+ along with ccna. ok well i will get on the net+
    2 weeks is a goal. You need to see if you will make the time to study. You have to see if you like the network stuff. Once you're into it -- and get some studying done, then you can determine if 2 weeks is realistic goal. If it actually took you a month, but you really learned the stuff well, it still lays a good foundation for the INTRO portion of the CCNA. And you should then be able to blow through that material and leave lots of time for the fun (harder) ICND stuff.

... but if you can't find the time over the next 2 weeks to study for the Network+, where do you think you'd get the time for the CCNA.

Another nice thing about the Network+ -- you get the immediate satisfaction of earning a Certification.

The A+ is good if you plan to get the Microsoft certs someday also -- the MCP, MCSA, and MCSE. But if your first big target is the CCNA, the best path is through the Network+.
  • Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    It isn't a matter of formal experience in IT but rather what exposure you've had with networking in general. If you couldn't connect to the internet at home, could you troubleshoot and solve the problem? If you can't reach a website, can you find out if it is a problem on your end, your ISP, or the site itself?

In order to make it in obtaining a CCNA, you should understand the basics of IP and subnetting. The CCNA books will usually teach you this, but it will be much easier if you have a general understanding of it. Network+ certainly will provide that foundation and also give you a baseline on your capabilities.

The problem with CCNA even with seasoned networking people is that you have to be able to figure out subnets rather quickly as you really don't have any time in this test to waste. That was a trouble spot for me, as in the real world I use the OS calculator in scientific mode in the real world, and my basic math is not sharp. I am not quick and I make stupid mistakes with math.

Another sticky point on the course/test is memorizing all the command lines. It's like knowing how to code HTML without the use of graphical tools, just text. If you were able to learn to code HTML with only the use of Notepad in only a few months, then memorizing the command lines for Cisco won't be a problem, as long as you understand the concepts in using those command lines.

CCNA covers switches, VLANs, basic routing protocols, WAN technologies, etc, and how they are implemented specifically on a Cisco router or switch.
    wow!! very informative. thank you for the help.
    Kyle J. Black
  • exkor5000exkor5000 Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    as i've learned so far, IT and networking are 2 different fields.
    At the places that I've been working so far, IT would largerly consist of human relations and politics. Then you also have the technical part which is a field of its own.

so make sure you get an asociates in politics then network+ :D:D

will make your exprience much less traumatizing...

X