Spring 2014 VMware courses at Stanly Community College

Comments

• J.TotJ.Tot Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Just received my orientation email but cannot log into moodle until Monday so I think I am done until then.

Seems the emails have been coming out pretty staggered for everyone, they are human afterall. Be patient, it will happen. Be ecstatic about the additional 80 seats! Thought I would be waiting until October! I signed up middle January.

Odd it let me log in. But I also messed around with their payment site before. I don't have anything listed, but I was able to watch the Moodle getting started video, set up my webmail and so on.
    VCP5 : [X] | VCP6 : [X] | MCSE : 70-412 [X] , 70-417 [ ] , 70-413 [ ] , 70-414 [ ] | VCAP : [ ]
  • networkhobonetworkhobo Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    That is AWESOME to hear that some folks that wait-listed in February are getting in!
  • ibbobudibbobud Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    That is AWESOME to hear that some folks that wait-listed in February are getting in!

Not in yet... below is what the email said that I received on 5/12/2014 at 2:50pm.

"We were able to add 2 more sections of the VMware vSphere Course creating 40 additional seats for our May class. Because of time constraints, this email has been sent to everyone who added themselves to the waitlist in February. Therefore the first 40 responses I receive will be able to get a seat in our May class. If you are not one of the first 40, you will be at the top of the list for our August class."

"IF you are one of the first 80 to respond, we will send you information on or before Wednesday, May 14th on how to go online to our website and submit your payment of $185.00 for the class and instructions on how to purchase the textbook."

I responded to the email and filled out the registration form at 3:17pm. I hope that 27 minutes was fast enough to be top 40.....

:)**Excited** **Career game changer**
    icon_lol.gif@stanly_cc
    Certifications: A+, VCA-DCV, and VCA-WM
    Working on: VCP5-DCV, MCSA 2012, and Network+
  • TrancewalkerTrancewalker Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey all,

I'm signed up for the 5/19 class. I have labbed vSphere a bit at home, but I don't have any experience in an enterprise environment, so I want to study a bit more after the class. I have heard good things about "Mastering VMware vSphere" by Scott Lowe. My only concern is which version to buy. He has one for 5 and one for 5.5, but not one for 5.1. I checked, and the Stanly course is for 5.1, so I'm a bit lost on which version of Scott Lowe's book to buy. I also noticed that the VMware website lists three different exam tracks, 5.0, 5.1, and 5.5. I realize that they all grant the same VCP-DV, but is the version listed anywhere on the cert?
    Hey all,

I'm signed up for the 5/19 class.

Curious.... Did you sign up from the email sent on 5/12 in regards to the 80 additional seats that opened up?
    No, sorry. I was in the original group of invites sent out for this class.
  • lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    @Trancewalker, I bought Scott Lowe's 5.5 book. The course we're starting on 5/19 is for version 5.1, which the course book focuses on. I would not get too worried with the version differences between 5.1 and 5.5.
  • bgold87bgold87 Member Posts: 112
    So the total price of this class is $185 + books?
  • siulassiulas Member Posts: 8 ■■■□□□□□□□
    bgold87 wrote: »
    So the total price of this class is $185 + books?

I don't think you have to buy books, can someone confirm?
  • J.TotJ.Tot Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You can completely ignore the books.
    VCP5 : [X] | VCP6 : [X] | MCSE : 70-412 [X] , 70-417 [ ] , 70-413 [ ] , 70-414 [ ] | VCAP : [ ]
  • stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    My class just ended this month. You don't "need" to buy any books for the course, as everything for the labs is provided. Now, for passing the exam, yes, you will need to pay for some books. So, $185 for the class, cost of whichever books you buy, plus the cost of the exam (70% off). They also provide access to VMware software, for free. Great class, great responses to any issues, great opportunity.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • zxbanezxbane Member Posts: 740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks for the insight stryder. I am also in the upcoming class. How soon do you plan to sit for the actual VCP certification yourself?
  • Dr ITDr IT Member Posts: 351 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I am aware this is a online class but is there a specifc time when the live lectures are done or is it pre-recoreded and uploaded on their learning site .

Can someone shed some light on this. ( i am worried as i am based in the Middleeast and would not be able to sync with the live online classes should they be done in the US TimeZones)
    Venturing in to the Unknown

Target 2018 : SSCP VCP- DTM

The Difference between the Ordinary and the Extra-Ordinary is that Little " Extra ".
    It's pre-recorded and uploaded. You have to complete some brief assignments on the first day 5/19, but otherwise the course is mostly a work at your own pace sort of class.
    As Trancewalker said, pre-recorded lectures. They aren't very long, usually under 30 minutes. The labs averaged around an hour or so each.

@zxbane - I plan to lab it up quite a bit more before I attempt the exam. Since I have no practical experience, I want to make sure that I've become more than comfortable with the software and how it is used. Not to mention, I started at WGU at the beginning of this month, so my time is highly leveraged.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

• dsgmdsgm Member Posts: 228 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ibbobud wrote: »
    Not in yet... below is what the email said that I received on 5/12/2014 at 2:50pm.

"We were able to add 2 more sections of the VMware vSphere Course creating 40 additional seats for our May class. Because of time constraints, this email has been sent to everyone who added themselves to the waitlist in February. Therefore the first 40 responses I receive will be able to get a seat in our May class. If you are not one of the first 40, you will be at the top of the list for our August class."

"IF you are one of the first 80 to respond, we will send you information on or before Wednesday, May 14th on how to go online to our website and submit your payment of $185.00 for the class and instructions on how to purchase the textbook."

I responded to the email and filled out the registration form at 3:17pm. I hope that 27 minutes was fast enough to be top 40.....

:)**Excited** **Career game changer**
    icon_lol.gif@stanly_cc

i also responded around that time, i havent received the follow up email so i am guessing that i was not accepted, thems the breaks, i am okay with august if i dont get in this batch, let me know if you got in.
    I didn't realize it was such a time sensitive ordeal! I did not get on the wait list until recently so I know I am a bit out. Still, it is great to hear that the classes are expanding and that people are enjoying themselves!
    I didn't realize it was such a time sensitive ordeal! I did not get on the wait list until recently so I know I am a bit out. Still, it is great to hear that the classes are expanding and that people are enjoying themselves!

Well this one was time sensitive due to the classes coming available so close to the class start date. I regret not pulling over and responding to the email and filling out the form on the side of the road instead of waiting until i could get to my office. I didn't know the waitlist would turn into a competition for fast email responders.
  • cs8400cs8400 Member Posts: 90 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ibbobud wrote: »
    Well this one was time sensitive due to the classes coming available so close to the class start date. I regret not pulling over and responding to the email and filling out the form on the side of the road instead of waiting until i could get to my office. I didn't know the waitlist would turn into a competition for fast email responders.
    Guess I should have done the same. Replied and filled out the form about 2 hours after receiving the email. No acceptance email icon_sad.gif
  • cs8400cs8400 Member Posts: 90 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Guess I spoke too soon! Jana just sent me an email. I'm in!
    cs8400 wrote: »
    Guess I spoke too soon! Jana just sent me an email. I'm in!

I just got my email.... IM IN!!! YAY!icon_thumright.gif
    Sweet! That is great! One day I will get the e-mail...that will be a great day. I am bankrolling my VCP so I was stoked when I found this class.
  • MickQMickQ Member Posts: 628 ■■■■□□□□□□
    "See" you all on Monday :)
  • shyguyITshyguyIT Member Posts: 380
    If the course is for version 5.1 as I understand does it still count if you take the 5.5 version of the exam?
    2017 Goals:
    Route[X], Switch [], TSHOOT[]
    shyguyIT wrote: »
    If the course is for version 5.1 as I understand does it still count if you take the 5.5 version of the exam?

As far as I know you can take either exam... VCP510 (5.1) or VCP550 (5.5). See below.

Attendance at one of these courses, in combination with passing either the VCP510 or VCP550 exam, is required to earn VCP5-DCV certification.
    The following courses are appropriate for general candidates.
  • shyguyITshyguyIT Member Posts: 380
    Thanks I was a bit confused.
    2017 Goals:
    Route[X], Switch [], TSHOOT[]
    YEA!!! i got in to this course, just paid, can anyone tell me whats the next step
    thats ok i got all the information i need.
    Has anyone received a email from the instructor or had the class show up on moodle yet? I have not had either happen yet and the class starts today.
    ibbobud...be patient. I had the same issue back in March. It wasn't available until later in the morning, if I remember correctly. The first day intro stuff won't take you too long to accomplish, maybe thirty minutes or so.