Is CCNA Security track enough for a career in cyber-security?

p1xelsp1xels Member Posts: 114 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

I want to know if the CCNA Security track is enough for a career in cyber-security or do i need to additionally learn or pass(if possible) the CEH(Certified Ethical Hacking) Certification.

I am interested in pursuing CCNA security after CCNA R&S completes, but will I also have to do the CEH along with CCNA Security if that is the needed for a career in this track?

Comments

• ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    I'd say it depends on what type of security you'd like to get into, as CCNA Security is more of an intro to Cisco security products, and only really for understanding basic function and configuration of Cisco firewall features via CCP / ASDM / some CLI. CCNP Security seems to go much further in depth on topics that are very similar across most vendors products in terms of theory, though of course the commands / GUI would be different from vendor, so for concepts applicable outside of that overview of Cisco stuff you should plan on going for the CCNP level.

That and CISSP are good credentials to put on a resume :)
  • Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    In short - no. This is an entry level cert and is regarded as such by employers. What will make you more appealing to prospective employers is the CCNP Security. However, if you have no experience to back it up, it will likely not be enough. The transition to security requires previous IT experience + learning and certs on your part(most of the time).

I am guessing that you have set your sights on network security. What do you do now and how much experience do you have? Also, why do you want a career in cyber-security?
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • p1xelsp1xels Member Posts: 114 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi ande,
    Please dont take it otherwise but is it allowed to use the Cisco Logo here or in any forums or even in CVs?
    Actually once I tried to use that Cisco Certified logo in Cisco Learning Network but I was told to not use that as an avatar. But when I got my CCENT cert somewhere in their website or in that copy attached to that cert I must have read that I can use the CCENT logo wherever I wish as long as I am a valid holder of that cert.
    And Master of Puppets, I am just interested in it , thats why. want to learn more about security and presently i am not working.
  • ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    Uhhh... You're welcome for the reply...
  • darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    p1xels wrote: »
    Hi ande,
    Please dont take it otherwise but is it allowed to use the Cisco Logo here or in any forums or even in CVs?
    Actually once I tried to use that Cisco Certified logo in Cisco Learning Network but I was told to not use that as an avatar. But when I got my CCENT cert somewhere in their website or in that copy attached to that cert I must have read that I can use the CCENT logo wherever I wish as long as I am a valid holder of that cert.
    And Master of Puppets, I am just interested in it , thats why. want to learn more about security and presently i am not working.

Read the terms given by cisco and you'll know 100%.

As far as your original question, CCNA anything is not a place you should stop if you plan to specialize in any field. If you want to be a jack of all trades, a bunch of CCNA's (along with other education paths) would be great.
  • rowelldrowelld Member Posts: 176
    Nope not enough. What do you want to do within cyber security? Do you want to stay the technical route? There are many certifications you can look at such as CISSP, CEH, GIAC, etc.

The real answer is you need vast amount of experience to really be successful in security.
    Visit my blog: http://www.packet6.com - I'm on the CWNE journey!
  • LionelTeoLionelTeo Member Posts: 526 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Your question would be asking for getting into IT Security Job without an IT Security Experience, therefore telling you to get IT Security Experience would not be the answer.

The two ways generally discussed here would be
    i) Ask for an internal transfer to the IT Security department, this would be rather difficult unless you are on good terms with the people in the office and people are willing to give you a chance at doing/messing up their Security.
    ii) Gobble as much IT Security certs as possible and make yourself a prospective candidate. In about 10 resume, most of the time about 3 is applicable for IT Security. And even so, the one suitable may not be within the company budget. Therefore, the secondary consideration kicks in, and how would you make yourself applicable to fill up this secondary consideration? - Express Interest and shown you had done so by grabbing certs.

There is a few entry level certs to work on which makes your resume looks better. The few are
    Security+, CEH, SSCP

You would be best to try to break into at least one GIAC certs, the below certs are best and viable by self study.
    GCIH, GSEC, G2700 or GISP

Ironically, despite being call Security Essentials, GSEC is actually the harder cert to self study listed among there. ;) But these certs are build upon the foundation from CEH (GCIH) and SEC+ (GSEC). Therefore, it would be relatively less tougher once you had obtained the minor certs.

It's all about showing your interest in IT Security field by constantly upgrading yourself and you would eventually break into it, good luck.