CUCM - 2911 as MGCP gateway

sendalotsendalot Member Posts: 328
I'm following the lab manual on making my 2911 router to work as a MGCP gateway for CUCM.

I see some T1 ISDN PRI requirements.

But currently the 2911 only has FXO and FXS interface cards.

Are these enough or do I need a different set of WIC cards? Are they included?

Are they necessary to carry out the router as a MGCP gateway?

Thanks.

Comments

• shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    You don't need a Vwic to run MGCP, but if you plan on doing more in Voice you will have to know how to configure PRI's which require a VWIC card.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • sendalotsendalot Member Posts: 328
    shodown wrote: »
    You don't need a Vwic to run MGCP, but if you plan on doing more in Voice you will have to know how to configure PRI's which require a VWIC card.

So at CCNA level, I can get by without it? Can phones still talk to each other at local level without a T1/E1 trunk?
    A PRI can be used for connecting your system to the PSTN, Fax system, or different PBX. It just depends on what you need it for. So if you wanted to talk to phones on a simulated PSTN you would need a PRI, if you just wanna dial different extensions in call manger you can get away without having one.

If you plan on getting far in voice you need to buy one and the DSP modules needed to go with them.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
    I ordered a single port instead of two ports one. Shouldn't matter, right?
    I have DSP loaded in the router at the moment.
    Thanks.
    you will also need a Vwic module for your PSTN side. You will need to make T1 crossover cables for it to work correctly. If you plan on expanding you will need to order 2 port modules so you can use the other side as a Data T1 into a frame relay connection.
    Currently Reading

VWIC module for PSTN as in FXO/FXS?
    Expanding for what? Would single slot be enough for CCNA level? I don't think I can get any T1 line for this lab. What two devices would the T1 crossovers connect?
    Thanks a lot.
    I'm not sure what they are teaching in the CCNA V. You need the VWIC module to terminate the T1 you have on the 2911. The T1 crossover connects the 2911 MGCP router, to your PSTN router.
    Currently Reading

I only have one Voice Router and don't plan on getting another. VWIC as in like Cisco VWIC3-1MFT-T1/E1 1-Port T1/E1 Multiflex VWIC Card?
    What is your current lab look like? I can then help you more

To test PSTN with a call manager I recommend

CUCM----VoiceGW(29xx)
    T1PRI
    PSTNROUTER(28xx)

To test ITSP

CUCM
    Voicegateway
    SIPTRUNK(Eth)
    PSTNRouter

Bottom line, you need a PSTN router. If you are clever enough you can get a ITSP router to work in GNS3, but I recommend just being a cheap 28xx off ebay.
    Currently Reading

I currently have one V-GW using 2911. I don't intend on buying another router to simulate PSTN.
    Some people say I can get by CCNA Voice without a PSTN simulator. I'm going to try and wing it first.

For now I just "wanna dial different extensions in call manger." I enabled mgcp on router and will try to setup using CUCM.

Is it as simple as "ccm-manager config ccm-manager config server 10.10.10.20" on 2911 router and adding MGCP on CUCM to place extension calls?
    Referred to MGCP as a gateway protocol with Cisco Unified Communications Manager and Configuring the Cisco IOS MGCP Gateway - Cisco

Thanks.
    If thats what they say thats cool as I'm not to sure of the CUCM curriculum. As far as what you need to add to the router, give it a try and see what happens, and let us know your results.
    Currently Reading