Help with my home lab and suggest simulations

PawNtheSandmanPawNtheSandman Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have 2x 2610 routers. Could someone give me suggestions on mini labs and other things I can do to prepare for for the exam with.

Also what expansion cards should I get for them?
Currently Studying: CCNA

Comments

• PawNtheSandmanPawNtheSandman Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have both routers. Neither have any expansion cards.

I am thinking I should get 2x WIC-1T serial cards to simulate WAN connection. Anyone know where I can pick them up cheap (legit ones, not the knockoffs from China)

Also, does anyone offer free labs I can configure myself? Or do I have to search the deep, dark, underbelly of the internet for them? coughtorrentscough
  • EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If i were you i would get the WIC-2T cards, you will need the smart serial cable for these, anyway do some research.Whats wrong with the cheap knockoffs? How you can tell the difference? I have cheap knockoff WICs, the only way i know this is because of the price i paid.Practical study guides are good for labs.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The lab companion books for the Cisco Network Academy are good -- but I think they really only make sense if you are using the Net Academy books to study.

The Sybex book has their hands-on sections -- and that makes good sense to do stuff as you are learning it.

The Cisco Press CCNA Practical Studies books is "out of date" -- but if you ignore the "old chapters" it's still a good book.

I haven't had any problems with all the stuff I've bought on eBay -- but I haven't bought anything that ships from China. But that doesn't mean I haven't bought something secondhand that someone else got from there.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    I am doing CCNA and CCNP through the local college.

They are using the official Cisco Networking Academy textbooks and lab books.

Between that and hands on using my own lab, is there a need to purchase any other books?

I plan on taking the 2 seperate CCNA exams.
    WOW, the WIC-2T cards are more than what I paid for the routers.

Anyone know a reliable place other than eBay for them?
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    They are using the official Cisco Networking Academy textbooks and lab books.

Between that and hands on using my own lab, is there a need to purchase any other books?
    I did the CCNA Academy courses and took the CCNA exam 2 or 3 days after the CCNA 4 final -- the courseware and labs were enough for me to easily pass. If you don't average in the mid-to-high 90s in the courses you may want to add the Sybex book for a focused review for the ICND exam.

Depending on your subnetting skills -- you could check out the learntosubnet and subnettingquestions web sites for the INTRO exam.
    WOW, the WIC-2T cards are more than what I paid for the routers.
    I've only got one WIC-2T and paid about $56. My WIC-1Ts were $25. How cheap were your routers?
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    I can subnet no problem, just need to write it out.

I have 2x 2610 routers with 32/16 memory for $80 total from a friend.
  • TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    $40 each!! Gee I would say that you were exceptionally lucky. Check ebays price for 2610's.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • mwgoodmwgood Member Posts: 293
    You may find something useful here.

http://www.ciscokits.com/index.php

They include a lot of helpful study material, tools, and Lab execises on a bundled CD with purchase of some of their equipment.
  • TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    actually I don't know about their web site but ciscokits sells the CD by itself for $29 on ebay with $2 shipping. Use "cisco labs" as a search item and theirs and others will pop up. It claims to have 50 labs and 400 questions.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • wildfirewildfire Member Posts: 654
    Just be carefull with WIC-2T's, they only work on certain 2600's,

http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9998

I put this to the test and the WIC-2Ts wont work on a 2610 but fine on something like a 2620/1720.

The other option is a WIC-2A/S these are similar but have a max speed of 128Kb/s.
    Looking for CCIE lab study partnerts, in the UK or Online.
  • YankeeYankee Member Posts: 157
    Ooops already covered in the other thread.

Yankee