Leaving certifications off your resume that are active but not currently in use?

N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
What are you thoughts on this?

I find it interesting that you may at one time had a use for a certification which aligned with the role you had at one time. Now you are on job 3 since you certified and either the certification hasn't expired or doesn't expire, my question is do you keep it on your resume or omit the certification.

I am just curious to see your thoughts.

My internal beliefs are that you leave it off even if the certification is still active. I am not saying there is a right or wrong way of doing things, but internal I feel dirty and uncomfortable listing something that hasn't been used.

For instance I have 3 ITIL certifications and I haven't used that service management framework in years. They are no longer on my resume.

This is the case with a few other certifications. I just feel it misrepresents me if I list those, even though at one time I used those skills etc.

I don't recall a conversation on this forum in the 4 years I have been a member.

Thanks for reading and potentially participating.

Comments

• Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I see nothing wrong with omitting information that does not fit your objective.
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'm of the mind to leave it on because honestly when does a job posting align exactly with what you are doing? Of note there was a job I interviewed for where I left the ticketing system I used at my current position on my resume. At lunch we discussed that they were switching their ticketing system and when they saw it on my resume they were overjoyed. I feel it shows you are versatile and that you can understand technology at various levels.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I will be leaving Linux+ off of future resumes. It has been a long time since I completed it and the course and it caused my problems on an interview a few years ago.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • da_vatoda_vato Member Posts: 445
    This is an interesting topic... I guess I would see no harm in putting all of your certs on a resume. However on the other side of the same coin I tailor my resume per every submission so if I feel there is no value added I omit.

I suppose I do not see certs as big of a deal as degrees; for instance a masters degree can deem you "over qualified for a position" where you can have every cert under the sun and it does not over qualify you...
  • xnxxnx Member Posts: 464 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Leave it on even if irrelevant, unless you completely forgot everything about that particular subject and wouldn't be able to answer questions on it
    Getting There ...

Lab Equipment: Using Cisco CSRs and 4 Switches currently
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    da_veto great point about the masters degree. I really do think leaving my masters on my resume for "some positions" kept me from getting a response back. It seems hiring managers don't like competition and when you are that qualified you are viewed more a potential risk than anything else.

The roles I am applying for my bachelors and 1 - 2 certifications are more than enough. What I really need to work on is conforming the resume to the particular position. With that said I am content with where I am at and this is a moot point for myself.

I just like to keep abreast of the market and the different tactics.
  • da_vatoda_vato Member Posts: 445
    icon_cool.gif that's what this forum is all about icon_cool.gif
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    da_vato wrote: »
    . . .
    I suppose I do not see certs as big of a deal as degrees; for instance a masters degree can deem you "over qualified for a position" where you can have every cert under the sun and it does not over qualify you...

I see candidates get passed over who have too many irrelevant certs just as much as I hear of people getting passed over with too many degrees, so I agree with the idea of leaving no longer relevant/obsolete certs off.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I left Science 10 years ago, but I still often put on my Zoology degree when applying for jobs, as even though I don't use that knowledge I generally work in scientific institutes. So a back ground in science is a plus. however I don't list any of my other scientific qualifications or certifications.

I also leave out a lot of my server qualifications I achieved way back. There is an argument for saying if you are a CCIE why put on any CCNA certifications, indeed should you put any superseded certificates on there?

I think the thing is you tailor your CV to the position you are applying for. and as you advance through your career there comes a time where certs are very much second place to experience. And just as I would not put my experience with print servers on a CV for a job in core networking. you learn to pick and chose what certificates are sutible for a given position.

Speaking from my experience interviewing people, no one gets passed over from having to much experience or certifications. I will happily employ a CCIE for a help-desk position if I think they have the attitude to do the job well. But a lot of people with lots of certs and degrees applying for entry level positions have an attitude that gets up your back. either in how they word there CV or how they come across in interviews. They often have the attitude that they think they will be off the helpdesk in a few weeks and managing the company by the end of the year. "over qualified" = basically I don't think you really want this job, and with in a month you will be moaning about it saying you are better than it. But I want some one who will be looking to prove them selves in any role I give them, not just desperate to get a higher position so they get more money, and believing that certificates mean they are owed more than other people doing the same work.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    If you can't answer questions about it and aren't feeling comfortable in that skill - leave it off. That's what I think.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    petedude wrote: »
    I see candidates get passed over who have too many irrelevant certs just as much as I hear of people getting passed over with too many degrees, so I agree with the idea of leaving no longer relevant/obsolete certs off.

Petedude so you have seen this too? Degrees I mean....
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    If you can't answer questions about it and aren't feeling comfortable in that skill - leave it off. That's what I think.

My thoughts as well. If you can't speak to the technology having it on your resume will do more harm than good if someone starts asking questions.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • SweenMachineSweenMachine Member Posts: 300 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My thoughts as well. If you can't speak to the technology having it on your resume will do more harm than good if someone starts asking questions.

I put more on my online searchable resume than I do on my paper ones; recruiters usually ask you send one, and I always cater that to whatever job role I am applying for.

Right now the only certs I list on my resume is: MCP; MCITP Windows 7 Desktop Adminstrator and MCSA: Windows 7 -- MCP only for searchability -- I don't list MTAs, the MCTS 681 or the MS: HyperV;

I am pursuing a couple other certifications right now for my current job role, like the CompTIA Healthcare IT; but I don't think I will be putting that on my resume unless I am looking for a healthcare IT position.. I am starting WGU in August, and I likely won't put any of the CompTIA's or CIWs on there even though I am excited to tackle them and keep building my fundamentals...

-scott