Options

Good items that you scored on the way to the ****?

exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□
I've think I've hit the jackpot this week. I got a hold of a Dell PowerEdge 1800 with two dual-core processors installed, 4 GB of ram , redundant power supplies, and 3 SCSI hard drives. It's not the latest and greatest, but with a bit of cleaning out, it looks almost new. I also got a few external hard drives.

I first installed CentOS on it with the drives still connected through the raid controller (but with none of the drives setup as part of an array.) I then decided to bypass the raid controller and see if it could read the drive contents or if the controller did something to the drives that would prevent them from being read directly. I powered it on and it booted right up.

By the way, has anybody had any experience with getting Dell OpenManage installed on Centos? I've tried for the past few days without much luck.

Comments

• Options
    kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I was given a couple 1850's a few years back that were on their way out but sold them cause they were too loud and draw too much power. Recently I was able to score a Netgear Readynas 1100.
  • Options
    PutneyPutney Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Dell R200 server
    Cisco 2511 router (Access Server)
    Cisco 3550 switch

The 2511 has probably been the most useful piece of hardware in my Cisco rack so far.