Options

Tired of call center

alsonalson Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm super tired of being an IT agent in a call center. I have been trying to find something different but with no luck.

All the emails or calls I receive from employers are almost about the same job, I just can't believe that this is the only thing i can find.

What can i do, what can i do, I even thought of changing my career, I have no problem, but what to do, what field, how to change? please advise.. I just can't stay my whole 9 hours shift, everyday, doing nothing but sitting on a chair answering phones.

Please HELP with your ideas.

Thanks a lot.

Comments

• Options
    W StewartW Stewart Member Posts: 794 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Find out what skills are in demand in your area and lab on those skills in your free time. Get some certifications that are in demand in your area. Post your resume on this site to get some advice and don't stop looking for a new job.
  • Options
    linuxloverlinuxlover Banned Posts: 228
    Well you'll have to give us more information like how long have you been working in a call center, what kind of work do you do there, how old are you, your education, work experience, other tech skills you have that are not relevant to your current job, where are you located... anything that can help people give you more than just a general advice.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Yeah once you get type casted into a role it's hard to get out. This goes for more than just help desk. I am a BA, and would like to eventually move to a PM role, finally getting back there it took too long though.

When you decide to bounce make sure it's what you want and not because you just want to leave.
  • Options
    Ok, thank you every one..

I have just moved to the US a year ago, before that i spent 11 years as a computer technician.
    5 months ago, i have started as a call center agent, tried everything to love this job, but could not.

I have MCSE, MOS, HP certified and some other certificates that all have expired.

I'm living in California.. i'm 33 years old..

As you asked me, i'm trying to give you more details about myself.

i'm not sure if this would help..

Thanks
  • Options
    by the way, i tried to look for volunteering jobs that more related to servers or networks so i can get more experience, was not able to find any...
    if any of you knows a certain church or library, please let me know..
  • Options
    W StewartW Stewart Member Posts: 794 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Nobody is going to give a volunteer access to their servers even if it was for the sake of free labor. It wouldn't be worth the risk of your bringing down an entire network and you wouldn't have as much to lose without a paycheck on the line. Get some certs to show your knowledge and try to get into a small to medium business. They may offer you something on the low end salary wise but they'll usually also be willing to take you on with less experience and train you up.
  • Options
    thank you for the advise, you are right..
  • Options
    NemowolfNemowolf Member Posts: 319 ■■■□□□□□□□
    alson wrote: »
    Ok, thank you every one..

I have just moved to the US a year ago, before that i spent 11 years as a computer technician.
    5 months ago, i have started as a call center agent, tried everything to love this job, but could not.

I have MCSE, MOS, HP certified and some other certificates that all have expired.

I'm living in California.. i'm 33 years old..

As you asked me, i'm trying to give you more details about myself.

i'm not sure if this would help..

Thanks

Welcome to California. Land of the over-qualified and underemployed!

Certs and limited job experience (range not years) is going to be your down fall here. If you don't have a degree, consider getting one ASAP. MANY companies will not even see your resume if you don't have a bachelors and will weight your degree based on your educational background. Having all the certs in the world will not stop the automated systems from disqualifying you for a job.

Depending on where in Cali you are, your going to get stuck competing with recent college grads with Bachelors, Masters, MBAs, PHDs and the like because they can't find work in their field either with enough student loans to start paying off that even an entry level call center or tech job is worthwhile to them. Widen your range of search and start to network. Your going to need to find an ally to get you in the door to more than entry level even during a strong interview because there are a dozen candidates with as impressive or more so resumes.
  • Options
    I feel more down now, maybe cuz you are speaking more logical and realistic. You are right, competing with fresh grads is really hard... I really don't know what to do...

I have been trying to move a step up but useless, all jobs i find are either temp or same exact jobs, call center agents.

Any other states that i may find more opportunities in?
  • Options
    JohnjonesJohnjones Member Posts: 105 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Dude I completely understand. I have no desire to go to work and sit in a chair with a headset wrapped around my neck for 9 hours. I've got experience and certs(CCNA among others), but I'm stuck answering phones and taking it from the end users. Almost finished with B.S. as well. My co-workers are barely passing Sec+ and making similar to me...imagine how I feel.
  • Options
    Oh my God, that's frustrating. So, this means what? accept being IT "operators" and that's it!!

I'm really down and thinking deeply of leaving the career (temporary), search for another job that may provide me with more time. This would allow me to have the time to study and get certified in order to be able to search for another job.

That's the only way i see now..
  • Options
    JohnjonesJohnjones Member Posts: 105 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Well you don't have to accept your situation. Keep in mind location and who you know are HUGE. My problem is I don't have any connections and my location (FL) doesn't help much. I used to have a desire and passion doing IT. However, now it is just a job. A means to earn a dollar for now. Think about it - how much can you possibly learn answering phones over and over again. Even if you went to a senior person and showed interest...how would that work as you are supposed to be on the phone.
  • Options
    that's definitely correct, which is my problem now..
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    When is your MCSE from? Other than being lucky, you're going to have to collect a good base of entry level certifications to even have a chance at having a potential employer take a chance on you. For example, CCNA R&S added to the mix and you could try to get an entry level NOC job. If you have a current MCSE you could try to get a junior sys admin position. Add CCNA, MCSE and a few others and you could try for a jack of all trades position at a small company. ITIL Foundations, and Linux+/LPIC would probably be good ones to add to give yourself a round base of knowledge and try to move on.

Lastly, what was stated by Nemowolf is true. You're really handicapped against the competition without a degree. Most jobs have a requirement of at least an associates degree, if not a bachelors. And again, even if the job doesnt require one, you're up against competition that most likely does.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    IS3IS3 Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I had the same experience with you, When i came to Cali from overseas my first job was a Call Center Agent for like 5 years. I hated it so much that i had to apply even for a part time IT job. and i finally got it. from there i just added some years and experience. I passed some certs and i still kept looking until i got my first Full time IT Job. if you really want to get out of the call center that bad then you have no reason to stay there but to look. don't feel down like i said i was in your shoes before, instead make use of that time to study while looking for another job.
    :study:
  • Options
    tecteamtecteam Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Alson, I have been in the same position you are in now and at the moment I work in one of the top 5 security related companies in the world.Here is my suggestion
    1.Tell your close friends and family that you dont like the job and you need their support.
    2.Think about what exactly you want to do in IT.You need to be very specific and very clear with your decision.
    3.Find out what are skills required for that IT job.The guys here at techexams.net are awesome, they will also be able to guide you.You could also search dice.com to get an idea about what employers look for.
    4.Find some time to learn those new skills.You dont need to be an expert at it in a month.If you understand the basic of those skills you are good!This was the most toughest and time consuming part for me.Only after you complete step 4 should you move to step 5.
    5.Prepare a good resume.I took help of a proffesional resume writting service provider as English is not my first language and they did a fantastic job.
    6.Upload your resume to Linkedin.Buy a premium account on job website - this was also a big help and did not cost much.
    7.The interview emails and calls will start rolling in.

All the best :)
  • Options
    gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
    IS3 wrote: »
    I had the same experience with you, When i came to Cali from overseas my first job was a Call Center Agent for like 5 years. I hated it so much that i had to apply even for a part time IT job. and i finally got it. from there i just added some years and experience. I passed some certs and i still kept looking until i got my first Full time IT Job. if you really want to get out of the call center that bad then you have no reason to stay there but to look. don't feel down like i said i was in your shoes before, instead make use of that time to study while looking for another job.

5 years? damn, I am almost at my 3 year mark. I am finally buckling down to get certs myself. goal is to get MCSA 2012 by the end of the year along with VCP5 datacenter. I'll have network+ and already have CCENT. I am also taking a Linux class at my local community college in the FALL

I dont think a bachelors degree is absolutely necessary, just need more current certs and more networking
  • Options
    daviddwsdaviddws Member Posts: 303 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Are there other tiers of support you could do? Moving up to Tier 2,3,4 is usually better as there are fewer calls and they tend to be more interesting. Studying in a call center is almost impossible, at least the ones I have been in. You might have to study at home. Crazy as it sounds, I sometimes miss talking to customers, as my current position has zero customer interaction. I liked always being too busy to talk to other people lol...
  • Options
    I agree, studying in call centers is impossible. But to miss talking to customers, I don't think it's a nice thing icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    linuxloverlinuxlover Banned Posts: 228
    How did even end up in a call center with 11 years of IT experience and a MCSE? You're doing something terribly wrong here and you're selling yourself short. What kind of work did you do? Have you tried recruiters? What is your resume like?