Choice of VoIP phones for a lab

mxhdrmmxhdrm Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

I'm typically very shy, so asking for advice, even on the internet, is a big thing for me. With that said, I have a question pertaining to the models of phones to get.

I'm only beginning my journey for Cisco certifications, but I'm thinking towards the future. Where I work just converted to a VoIP system, and since I work for the help desk, they decided to make me one of the administrators for the system. We have a traditional telecommunications person, that person, along with another coworker and I are all admins. Apparently I do a good job, as they've changed my title to indicate that I specialize in VoIP technologies. I got into it by chance, but find that I have an affinity for it.

That question I have is that of what model phones could I get by with? I see listed here that the 79XX phones are the ones to look for. But I'm wondering if alternates can be used? For example, we have a very limited number of 7965 phones. We have something on the order of 200 6921 phones. We also have a substantial, yet smaller amount of 6945's. We have a few 7841's as well. For my desk, I have a 9951 with an add-on module. Which is quite nice.

Work won't mind, as long as I ask, if I borrow a few phones. As long as I return them, I'm probably going to be allowed to use them for a while.

Would any of the other phone models mentioned work for me? Buying them is certainly an option, but if I can use what I have access to, why wouldn't I?

Thanks in advance for the assistance!

Comments

• RìpshotRìpshot Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Cisco 7950 is what I commonly see being most widely used. Other phones you mentioned would still apply, just would have more/less features to program them to. You have access to Cisco Call Manager correct?
  • mxhdrmmxhdrm Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi,

Yes, well only at work. I have yet to assemble the required pieces for a lab. I'm only getting my ducks in a row for the time being.

I know that the other phones would work, but it's more of a "What am I missing?" by using these other phones. I mean if they are all mostly the same, with only small differences in between them, then I'd rather use what I've got, instead of buying something.

What I'm going to look for is some kind of chart that details the functionality of all of these other phones. I saw one that was limited to just the 79XX phones, but I'll look on google for a more complete/detailed list.

Thanks for responding though. I also didn't go back all that far, only to January to see if this question had been asked before.
  • JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    Found this on google

• Cisco IP Phone 7902 is a cost-effective, single-line, entry-level station with no display.
      Cisco IP Phones 7905G and 7912G are single-line, entry-level phones (with a format different from the Cisco IP Phone 7910G) with a graphical display.
      Cisco IP Phone 7920 is a mobile 802.11b phone that enables voice communications over wireless LANs.
      Cisco IP Phone 7935 and 7936 are console speakerphones with softkey displays designed for use in conference rooms. They do not support inline power and do not have a switch for supporting an associated PC.
      Cisco IP Phone 7940G supports two line/feature buttons and offers a nine-line display with softkeys and status lines.
      Cisco IP Phone 7941G supports two line/feature buttons with lighted keys and offers a high-resolution display with softkeys and status lines.
      Cisco IP Phone 7960G supports six line/feature buttons and has the same display as the Cisco IP Phone 7940G.
      Cisco IP Phone 7961G supports up to six line/feature buttons with lighted keys and has the same display as the Cisco IP Phone 7941G.
      Cisco IP Phone 7970G offers eight line/feature buttons and an 11-line backlit, high-resolution color display with touch screen and additional softkeys.
      Cisco IP Phone 7971G-GE provides unconstrained bandwidth to desktop applica-tions via Gigabit Ethernet (GE) and features eight line/feature buttons and an 11-line backlit, high-resolution color display with touch screen and additional softkeys.
      Cisco IP Phone 7914 expansion modules can be added to Cisco IP Phone 7960G. Each expansion module adds 14 buttons and up to 2 modules can be added to a Cisco IP Phone.
      Station devices need not be physical handsets. CallManager also supports H.323 user clients, such as the following:

— NetMeeting, which runs as a software application on a user's PC
      — Cisco IP Communicator, a software-based phone that connects to CallManager using SCCP
      — Cisco IP SoftPhone, which connects to CallManager using the TAPI application interface
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I'd start with a couple of 7941/7961 phones or comparable - they've been the flagship enterprise phone for a long time. Preferably the 61s since the extra buttons come in handy when playing around with features.

From your list if given the option, I'd use the 7965 (I use these in my CCIE voice lab), buy a couple of 7941/61s off ebay, or maybe try the 6945s (though they may be limited in features).
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT