Remembering material for exams

egrizzlyegrizzly Member Posts: 533 ■■■■■□□□□□
This is a method of remembering in learning psychology called semantic encoding and works really well when you need to recall stuff for the exams. The trick is to verbally use the term/definition in a sentence (in different contexts) that engages an emotion. Let's say you want to memorize a term like Authenticator.

Authenticator: The device that controls the status of a link; typically a wired switch or wireless access point

You would use the word and definition in a different context, say like when having a conversation with a friend.

"Hello Jeffrey. Have you seen Joe?"
You: "No! That Joe is a damn authenticator! He is nothing but a dev#$ce that controls the status of a link; especially those wired switches or access points"

or

"Hello Jeffrey. Have you seen Joe?"
You: "omg didn't you hear. He's a damn authenticator now. He controls the status of your link, especially your wired switches or access points"

The first emotion is anger and the second is fear. The reasoning behind this method (semantic encoding) is that when you can verbally use a word in a sentence, you are 1) Verbally encoding the message and 2) translating the meaning mentally. When they are attached to emotions they tend to stick longer in memory. Remember it's easy to recall stuff that made you scared, angry, e.t.c compared to stuff you just observed.:

So whenever you are faced with memorizing a list of exam terms/concepts, e.t.c be sure to use them verbally in a sentence above. It'll increase the likelihood of recalling them during the test.
B.Sc (Info. Systems), CISSP, CCNA, CCNP, Security+

Comments

• NyblizzardNyblizzard Member Posts: 332 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This is great
    O
    /|\
    / \
  • chopstickschopsticks Member Posts: 389
  • Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Mmm... okay. It's definitely not the way I remember stuff though, for instance the OSI model... Aps-TN-DP. "Apps-Tennessee-D-P" is how I think of it, and I always remember it.

If I need to make up a cable, I make a rhyme out of the colours of a CAT5E cable - orange-white, orange, green-white, blue, blue-white, green, brown-white, brown.

Other stuff I just remember naturally

Whatever works for you though...
  • jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I just write them out 100 times each.

*shrug*
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    Asif Dasl wrote: »
    Mmm... okay. It's definitely not the way I remember stuff though, for instance the OSI model... Aps-TN-DP. "Apps-Tennessee-D-P" is how I think of it, and I always remember it. If I need to make up a cable, I make a rhyme out of the colours of a CAT5E cable - orange-white, orange, green-white, blue, blue-white, green, brown-white, brown.Other stuff I just remember naturallyWhatever works for you though...
    That makes me feel better that I am not the only one that sings a song for cables. OSI for me was always "all people seem to need data processing"
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I like to make stuff into little jingles as well. Helps it replay in my head easier than just a sentence.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    OSI model - Please Do Not Throw Sausage Pizza Away

ISC2 Code of Ethics - PAPA - Protect, Act, Provide, Advance

3 Authentication Factors - "Know JavIer" = Know, Have, Are
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • egrizzlyegrizzly Member Posts: 533 ■■■■■□□□□□
    yeah guys. I had fun reading the responses.

@Asif I've used rhymes too (big hip-hop fan)

@jvrLopes: lol, I actually memorized the switch labs on CCNP that way.

This technique of memorization I picked up chatting with a cool psychologist at the bar during happy hour. No it's perfect for memorizing single definitions of concepts, or single facts. He calls it "deep encoding". Take for instance memorizing definition of "Broadband". A transmission medium capable of.... Key thing of course, is that you have to put it into a custom sentence such as would go into a conversation, then deliver with an emotion (anger, fear, anxiety, e.t.c)
    B.Sc (Info. Systems), CISSP, CCNA, CCNP, Security+
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    This is a good technique. I can certainly see the benefits and what I like about your technique over mnemonic forms using phases or rhymes is that it's less of a rote technique. In your example, you actually are deriving the actual meaning which I would imagine produces a deeper understanding.
  • CJECJE Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I used to do acronyms and jingles. Now I'm all about repetition and visualizing material in my mind if possible. I find that by the time I study something enough to fully understand it I don't think about the jingle or whatever so I've been skipping it altogether. We'll see how it goes.