CBTs and Handson labs where are there?

itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
hi guys...I have watched CBT nuggets and INE courses on video and they have lots of slides and such like for example for QOS and all the queue types and congestion management types, but not so much code to tie to each type of queue type....like the instructors say "back in the day they use to use round robin blah blah and then came WRR and then this and that.and not much showing of how each technology actually works on a cisco router or switch...it is hard to understand the slides when you don't even know the terms and have not seen them work?

question: where do you get to see them work? like what books explain actual examples like when I took data structures class at least you had examples of how to use them? I need to see the wrr and srr working so I can understand the slide verbage?

example: they give you this for switch 3560
ingress:
1P1Q3T; 2Q3T

egress:
4Q3T; 1P3Q3T

now how in the heck do I visualize this? it is strange that you have 1 Q coming in but 3Q going out isn't that a bottlekneck? I need to see how this works what cisco books teach this and why don't cbts do better job of teaching this queuing and other types of QOS?

Comments

• xnxxnx Member Posts: 464 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Luckily for you QoS is one of my favourite topics and this is what I used when I started:

http://packetlife.net/media/library/19/QoS.pdf Thanks to Jeremy Strech

Basic Idea is that you partition traffic using a policy map and then you match particular DSCP values and provide a certain service using a class map

Are you studying QoS for CCNP Switch? There's a whole Cisco book/exam dedicated to QoS, you might be best off getting that
    Getting There ...

Lab Equipment: Using Cisco CSRs and 4 Switches currently
  • OfWolfAndManOfWolfAndMan Member Posts: 923 ■■■■□□□□□□
    QoS uses service policies. Class maps identify the traffic, policy maps take action on the traffic, and then there's the service policies. You learned about class maps in CCNA Sec. DSCP is used with QoS and you basically allocate a specific amount of bandwidth to a service. Since voice and video technologies (I.e. VoIP and IPTV/VTC) require low latency, it's best to give them some priority in the queue. The best book for this I've been reading up is the QoS certification guide. Check it out.
    :study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []
  • itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
    thanks yeah I need to get some queuing books cause CBTs are not enough..
  • itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
    XNX

I am studying CCNP switch I hope to test out in 2 weeks just want more walk thru on queuing understanding.