What would make you leave your industry?

colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
Another thread got me to thinking... what industry trends/regulations would make you quit your current job/switch to an different industry? (staying in tech, obviously, just supporting a different market)

If tattoos were frowned upon, would you quit the entire industry, for example? What if you were required to wear a uniform (or suit/tie) every day? Those kinds of things. Let's hear em.
Working on: staying alive and staying employed

Comments

• keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have dressed nice everyday for the past 6 years. I'm still not fond of ties daily
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I'll chime in! :)

I'd never work in an industry that hires by practices I do not agree with. I feel I'm among the best at what I do and I want to work with people that are among the best as well. Not the best out of a diluted pool of people without tattoos, beards, ear rings etc. Life is much too short to worry about living my precious little time out of work to conform with some company or industry archaic hiring standards.

Now don't get me wrong I understand there is a certain point where things cross the line. If you aren't bathing, have offensive tattoos, etc. that is a completely different story.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    So I guess Disney World is out for you then. :) No visible tats, no exceptions. And very specific rules regarding facial hair.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    No way I'd want to work at Disney World even if they let you have a beard to your toes! I don't have a beard though. I grow facial hair like a 15yo.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'll chime in, too. I think as an employer most companies aren't allowed to frown upon tattoo's, unless it's Disney or something along those lines. I don't know if companies are actually allowed to say "Sorry, we can't hire you, you have a tattoo on your wrist". Though, in most cases they'll just say they found a better suited candidate.

When I was young, I got a labret piercing, along with both of my ears, and had my ears stretched out. I didn't have them stretched out that much, less than a 0 if anyone knows the sizes. I took them out in my early 20's. You can still see that I HAD a labret piercing and you can see my ears are pierced. I know that companies wouldn't ever say anything about it, and I'd like to think that they'd hire me based on academic and my previous experiences. We can't all live in a perfect world, though.

On another track. Usually when you're called in for an interview, they've already read your resume and decided that you could be a good candidate. Sometimes an interview is just based on personality. That is, of course, if you've had a phone interview with technical questions. Often they'll jam in an interview with technical questions and then they'll try and get a grasp on your personality.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • joemysteriojoemysterio Member Posts: 152
    I would adapt to fit in, but not so much that I lose my identity. At that point, I would probably start looking for a different destination. And I agree with networker... although I'm far from being the best at what I do, since I'm barely starting my IT career, I do hope to be one of the best and would love to work with some of the greatest, no matter their preferences regarding their life style and whatnot.

But to be honest though, I'd love to be in a suit and tie. I love the look. :p
    Current goals: CCNA/CCNP
  • colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Actually I think any employer can say, 'we didn't hire you because you don't fit our corporate image' and it is not considered discrimination (right or wrong.) It's a decision based on a conscientious choice you made to get inked, which is not a protected status.
  • MrJimbo19MrJimbo19 Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If I had to work with another person exactly like myself that would make me leave. I like this industry because of the literal non-stop amount of diversity I see with all of the people I work with. One day I am interacting with a guy from Germany and the next I am talking to someone from South Africa who use to see spiders the size of my dog. I think the industry could do a better job of dragging women in as it is a bit of a guys domain but I think given time that may correct itself (or not in which case something more needs to be done). So in short my breaking point would be if i had to stare at people and think I was looking in a mirror. I am not a fan of tat's for myself but I think they are cool on other people if they want them, espcially when they have an awesome story attached to them.
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think you have to accept that your choices do always limit where you can or will be accepted to work.

It works both ways, some places frown on tat's but other frown on dressing to smart.

Personal I am a jeans and shirt guy, and often go a few days with out shaving. But that's because I work in a place that is accepted. I am not customer facing and I am good enough at my job that people over look it mostly :)

however I have worked in companies where I was customer facing and to very high profile companies at that. While in my office i was expected to wear shirt and trousers, and when I saw clients full suit and tie. That's fine I can do that and for 2 years was clean shaved and smart 99.9% of the time. (we had dress down Fridays that i some times took advantage of).

I look at it from the user/customer point of view and what there attitudes are. Sorry but I would not have employed some one with visible tat's, large earring or nose rings or crazy hair styles to work for some of my ex clients because I know they there own dress code and they would simple not allow such a person on there site.

So sadly I do think how you chose to appear will limit opportunities. In just the same way the language i use at home and around friends is very different to that I sue at work. The thing is with how I talk I can leave at home the bits that are not appropriate for work, I would not expect to go in to a meting of CO's F'ing this and that, as though we are all mates down the pub. I think more before I talk and I talk to people to begin with as though I don't know them and there for polite and respectful. Yes later on down the line I might end up in a pub with them shooting the S^%t, but the first meeting will always be professional.

If you cant cover up a look or change it then you might well have an issue. however there always somewhere good to work :)
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    I've been in big finance/banking for the past 8 years. So far it's been good, even if I did dodge a bullet during the crash where my employer at the time was absorbed by another bank. Now I'm working at another large finance firm. If there were ever another crash like the last time, I'm leaving the finance/banking world. But I'm not one that likes really small companies either as I think job security is lacking in places that have one small piece of business change and have to cut costs. I'd probably try gov or big tech. The other thing that would make me switch is an industry/company where they are susceptible to being bought out by private equity. I'll never go through that hell again.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    I actually have tat's on both my forearms from back before I even considered college as a possibility, which kind of sucks during the summer as I still have to wear long sleeves, as I don't think any form of tattoo looks professional even if it's not offensive.

I have never had coworkers scoff at my tatt's though, they are more intrigued that I have them if anything, but I'd hate for a customer or director to see me all tatt'd up as I know people are biased against it all together.

I don't regret my tatt's though, just thankful I was never stupid enough to get like a neck tatt or something equally ridiculous.
  • EV42TMANEV42TMAN Member Posts: 256
    if the IT industry unionized I'd leave it
    Current Certification Exam: ???
    Future Certifications: CCNP Route Switch, CCNA Datacenter, random vendor training.
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Being in government makes you subject to FOIA requests. And you or your often often risk being in the local media for one reason or another. Promotions do not exist. They're called reclassification instead and can only be achieved by applying for a different job or requesting one for your existing position. Lots of red tape involved with that. And bonuses do not exist. Something the anti-government types tend to forget.

For the most part, I have it good though.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • ScrawnyRonnieScrawnyRonnie Member Posts: 112
    I had an interview with a guy who had a big beard and long blond hair. He told me at one point in his career he received a job offer which he was going to take. The company then said we need you to cut your hair. He said he wasn't going to cut it for a job. They rescinded the offer.

I don't have tats/long hair/crazy beard, but as stated above, if it's not offensive, then why can't we be individuals? The cookie-cutter look isn't that important imo.
    :lol:
  • SweenMachineSweenMachine Member Posts: 300 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Early in my career I worked for (at the time, I am unsure if it is still that way) Paychex. A payroll company. My experience with them was so horrible I don't mind repeating their name over and over again. Paychex. Terrible Paychex. Paychex.

First off, had to wear a tie every day. Okay; it happens.
    Then; NO facial hair except mustaches (what is this the 20s?)
    I have fast growing facial hair. I would shave every day. Boss at noon "did you shave today? you know we have a policy....' - YES I SHAVED TODAY. 'well, maybe you should bring an electric razor to work to shave on lunch?' -- No, I am not going to shave TWICE A DAY -- I don't even have a 5 oclock shadow yet by noon.
    They used to tell me I needed to iron my clothes better.... Seriously?

But the kicker, the reason I walked out and never came back, is they tried to force me to change my name.... SERIOUSLY.

My name is Scott. There was another Scott in sales... so they asked me to go by my middle name, Russell. I refused.

I came to work two days later, and they changed all my account, email, name plate to say Russell...

I walked right out the door...

Funny story, a couple years later I started working for a payroll company, a great company. They were started by exPaychex people who disliked their culture. This place let you wear flipflops, visable tats, tanks. Whatever as long as you did a good job.

That company is now Paylocity, a direct competitor to Paychex.

-scott
  • E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,228 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I work for a conservative bank in a tie everyday, no casual Fridays, and I cannot have a beard. They just allowed goatees shortly before I got here. After working from home for over a year this was a big adjustment because I was used to working in my robe and not shaving. I like my work so I wouldn't leave over those little things. Funny thing though, one of our guys has a tattoo on his neck and head. Just no facial hair buddy.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    There's an HVAC company here that doesn't allow facial hair on their techs. They also require drug tests. They admittedly try to emulate at least some of the military standards.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I work in financial services, specifically in the investment management and brokerage services sector. I probably would not leave this industry because of regulation. And there is more than sufficient diversity in the companies in this industry that culture is extremely diverse so even if you tats, long hair, wear a suit (or a dress), you can find a company to cater to whatever your particular taste.

The reason why I would leave this industry would probably be due to lifestyle reasons. Or simply because I've had enough - I've often fantasize about entering an industry which I perceive to have more social redeeming value such as education or healthcare.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    paul78 wrote: »
    The reason why I would leave this industry would probably be due to lifestyle reasons. ....

What's the lifestyle drawback of working in the financial services industry?
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    My use of the word "lifestyle" was a poor choice. While the work can be arduous and consuming, that was not what I meant.

A better description is "lack of fulfillment". In the particular financial services sector that I serve, I cannot really say that I derive satisfaction from contributing to human society through my job.

Bear in mind however, that I would never dissuade anyone from working or entering this industry. I just happen to have the luxury to pontificate on it because I have been in this industry for over 2 decades and I am fortunate to have received the fruits of the industry's growth.
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    I would probably leave if networking no longer paid a salary that would support my lifestyle. With SDN on the horizon, I've already taken steps to adapt to the shifts in the industry but if somehow I started backtracking in salary in serious ways, I'd seriously assess what I was doing.

May be greedy and while I love networking, I need to still make a living doing what I do.

Don't care much about clothing though. At my job, half the time I'm either dressed up or working from home in my PJs. Having the flexibility to work remotely 60-70% of the time completely makes up for having to suit up the other 30-40%
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • darkerzdarkerz Member Posts: 431 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would probably leave if networking no longer paid a salary that would support my lifestyle. With SDN on the horizon, I've already taken steps to adapt to the shifts in the industry but if somehow I started backtracking in salary in serious ways, I'd seriously assess what I was doing.

May be greedy and while I love networking, I need to still make a living doing what I do.

Don't care much about clothing though. At my job, half the time I'm either dressed up or working from home in my PJs. Having the flexibility to work remotely 60-70% of the time completely makes up for having to suit up the other 30-40%

Hey Iris,

Not to completely derail the thread, but how are you taking steps for the SDN and NFV creeping up on our industry? I'm wrapping up my CCNP DC and going for the CCIE, learning some VmWare, Citrix and Automation principles in there as well.

It feels like one day, there is going to be a program that will suddenly appear with a very low adoption price that will replace every one and every thing networking with a program. I emphasize sudden.

/leaves thread, damage done icon_lol.gif
    :twisted:
  • bobloblawbobloblaw Member Posts: 228

My name is Scott. There was another Scott in sales... so they asked me to go by my middle name, Russell. I refused.

I came to work two days later, and they changed all my account, email, name plate to say Russell...

I walked right out the door...

Classic Russell move.
  • MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□
    bobloblaw wrote: »
    Classic Russell move.

I laughed out loud, in my cubicle, in the dead silence of the office.

I was wondering if, as of that day, he started concluding all types messages with "-scott"
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Classic Russell move.
    Yeah, I think you're trying to get me fired. It's my second day on the job and I'm sitting here trying to keep from chortling, with tears forming.

As for what would make me leave the industry. . . getting my ultimate degree, to tell the truth. IT was always an "after school gig" for me, it just happened to be that I slacked off on my academic studies and took a great interest in certs and my work. So, here I am, more than a decade later working as a senior-level server engineer while I'm still trying to get my butt in gear for my academic path: a Master's in electrical engineering. (Related, but I'm probably going to be wanting to do research, rather than straight up go back to office work again.)

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • IS3IS3 Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you aren't bathing, have offensive tattoos, etc. that is a completely different story.

HAHA! Good one! icon_lol.gif
    :study:
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    darkerz wrote: »
    Hey Iris,

Not to completely derail the thread, but how are you taking steps for the SDN and NFV creeping up on our industry? I'm wrapping up my CCNP DC and going for the CCIE, learning some VmWare, Citrix and Automation principles in there as well.

It feels like one day, there is going to be a program that will suddenly appear with a very low adoption price that will replace every one and every thing networking with a program. I emphasize sudden.

/leaves thread, damage done icon_lol.gif

Well... technically, that's sort of already here. The Nexus 9Ks are now cheaper than the Nexus 7Ks and in the next year, you're going to see APIC rolled out. Everyone who jumped on Nexus 9Ks or continue to do so will be able to flip over the APIC. Check it out:
    Cisco Application Policy Infrastructure Controller (APIC) - Products & Services - Cisco
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YpAF9YG358

Of course there are plenty of other thing you can do such as learning Python which I'm working on, playing around with automation technologies (Helllloooo UCS Director: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e__8x_5eQ4w), and a few other things. Send me a PM and I can give you some more advice :)
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Being in IT I figure my industry really doesn't matter. So far I have been in the chemical industry, MSP industry (and all the industries that supported), higher education, and now a regulatory agency for an industry. I generally leave a job when I lose the ability to exact change. There are always ways to make an impact and changes so if I find that's no longer possible then it's time to move on. Where I currently am it is such a new industry that I can see staying for awhile as we are basically writing the book right now.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • SweenMachineSweenMachine Member Posts: 300 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Classic Russell move.

Yeah... you got me..

-russell
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□