Options

I passed

bhcs2014bhcs2014 Member Posts: 103
It felt good... for about a few hours icon_cool.gif. Anyway I used the Exam Cram book, Exam objectives sheet, and a few PM videos to pass. I scored an 825. Honestly I was kinda panicking during the test (had thoughts at some points that I might not pass this..) and I am surprised I scored so high. The sim questions were pretty cool and none of them completely stumped me so I know I did pretty well on those. I thought the multiple choice questions were... bad. They didn't focus on core understanding of how networks work.. at all. More so miscellaneous facts and tidbits, some of which I had no idea about. Also some of the questions had horrible grammatical errors.. it looked like English is the 2nd or 3rd language of the testmakers. One of the questions I had to just guess on because it was just so incoherent. Another question didn't have the correct answer listed.. I just guessed. This is typical CompTIA from what I can tell.. kinda unprofessional

Anyway next up is CCENT. icon_study.gif This should be fun :)

Comments

• Options
    Justin-Justin- Member Posts: 300
    Congrats bro! I am going to be taking the Network+ after I finish up the fundamental 98-366 MS Networking exam.

Did you setup any home labs? How many questions were there? And how long did it take ya to study / be ready for the exam?

Cheers!
  • Options
    Snow.brosSnow.bros Member Posts: 832 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratulations on the pass and good luck on your CCENT studies!!!
    Justin- wrote: »
    How many questions were there?

I took the exam last year, but if I remember correctly you should be looking at a total of 80 questions.

Good luck!
  • Options
    SharkDiverSharkDiver Member Posts: 844
    Congratulations!
    Good Luck with the CCENT.
  • Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!!

Good luck on CCENT icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    rlowey777rlowey777 Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    congrats man, good luck on the ccent, those are my next certs as well
  • Options
    dimeifieddimeified Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    bhcs2014 wrote: »
    It felt good... for about a few hours icon_cool.gif. Anyway I used the Exam Cram book, Exam objectives sheet, and a few PM videos to pass. I scored an 825. Honestly I was kinda panicking during the test (had thoughts at some points that I might not pass this..) and I am surprised I scored so high. The sim questions were pretty cool and none of them completely stumped me so I know I did pretty well on those. I thought the multiple choice questions were... bad. They didn't focus on core understanding of how networks work.. at all. More so miscellaneous facts and tidbits, some of which I had no idea about. Also some of the questions had horrible grammatical errors.. it looked like English is the 2nd or 3rd language of the testmakers. One of the questions I had to just guess on because it was just so incoherent. Another question didn't have the correct answer listed.. I just guessed. This is typical CompTIA from what I can tell.. kinda unprofessional

Anyway next up is CCENT. icon_study.gif This should be fun :)

I completely agree with you. Some questions they want you to assume no further information when reading the question, but then in others, they expect you to make certain assumptions. A switch is a layer 2 device, but it can also be layer 3. On the test, if I say its a layer 3 device, I will likely be wrong, even though while taking the test I'm sure there are plenty of layer 3 switches out there. Why? Because a switch "can" be a layer 3 device, doesn't mean that it "is." What is deemed a "best answer" isn't always clear.
  • Options
    Justin- wrote: »
    Congrats bro! I am going to be taking the Network+ after I finish up the fundamental 98-366 MS Networking exam.

Did you setup any home labs? How many questions were there? And how long did it take ya to study / be ready for the exam?

Cheers!

I have played around with packet tracer a bit but other than that, no labs. 82 questions. I didn't study much for the exam. I read the exam cram book and made sure I had an understanding of each exam objective. It took me 2-3 months of light studying, I read the book, took the exams in the book, and spent a couple days researching each objective online. I did have prior networking knowledge though so that definitely helped.
  • Options
    dimeified wrote: »
    I completely agree with you. Some questions they want you to assume no further information when reading the question, but then in others, they expect you to make certain assumptions. A switch is a layer 2 device, but it can also be layer 3. On the test, if I say its a layer 3 device, I will likely be wrong, even though while taking the test I'm sure there are plenty of layer 3 switches out there. Why? Because a switch "can" be a layer 3 device, doesn't mean that it "is." What is deemed a "best answer" isn't always clear.

Exactly. Most of the time you can understand what they are trying to say though. The one question I had that was just blatantly wrong is wht had me most dissapointed.
  • Options
    deadweightliondeadweightlion Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! (Yay! my first post too!)

I see you mentioned "light studying" over 2-3 months and you still didn't have a problem passing. I have been studying via PM videos and some online courses (skillsport) provided by my school. I am still nervous about taking the exam even tho i score 80% or higher on all practice exams i take.

Did you have any real life experience (such as working as a network engineer) or anything prior to taking the exam?
  • Options
    Congrats! (Yay! my first post too!)

I see you mentioned "light studying" over 2-3 months and you still didn't have a problem passing. I have been studying via PM videos and some online courses (skillsport) provided by my school. I am still nervous about taking the exam even tho i score 80% or higher on all practice exams i take.

Did you have any real life experience (such as working as a network engineer) or anything prior to taking the exam?

No working experience with networking but I have taken a networking class at my school which covered a few of the topics

If you are scoring 80% or higher on practice tests id go ahead and schedule the real thing. I was in the low 80s on my exam cram practice exams. And don't be nervous dude, go in there knowing you will pass and have the focus needed and you'll be good.
  • Options
    meinslameinsla Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Curious, how much and how long did you study?
    Desired certs: Security+, Linux+, CCNA, MCSA Server 2016