Feedback Needed

AB.CalculusAB.Calculus Member Posts: 29 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello TE!

I got an LinkedIn invite from a high-level executive from the west coast and he emailed to me stating that his client is looking for a P/T help desk resource and requested my number and would like to chat. I replied saying "I'm free noon". Since he is in a different time zone, I had to email him again asking "will it be 12 PM eastern or western time"? He replied "pacific time west coast".

Since it's past, 12 PM (western time) and he never called. Were there anything I done wrong on my part? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Why don't you send him a message asking him directly if he is still interested in you and if he would like to reschedule?

We would only be speculating as to why he didn't call.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • AB.CalculusAB.Calculus Member Posts: 29 ■■■□□□□□□□
    iBrokeIT wrote: »
    Why don't you send him a message asking him directly if he is still interested in you and if he would like to reschedule?

We would only be speculating as to why he didn't call.

I forgot to add that I did for tomorrow but reply. In fact, the last two emails that he sent, I replied with "ok". In a way, could that send a negative impression to him?
  • bhcs2014bhcs2014 Member Posts: 103
    Maybe I am missing something but why is there any interest in a part time help desk gig on the other side of the country?
  • ratbuddyratbuddy Member Posts: 665
    I got an LinkedIn invite from a high-level executive from the west coast and he emailed to me stating that his client is looking for a P/T help desk resource

Sounds like a third party recruiter with a fancy job title. Link him?
  • pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    dont sweat it. But you have learned a lesson. You need to be more thorough when you communicate. Next time, specify the date and time(with time zone) and ask for their number if its a very important call. But either way, its likely just a recruiter. They do this and many times arent good at following up if they think they cant place you. so dont sweat it.
  • jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    When you communicate with others in different time zones, make sure to state your time zone when you schedule anything. It's also a nice gesture to state their time zone as well. So instead of just saying "noon", you could say "12 P.M EDT/9 A.M PDT."

In offical matters, I usually use GMT time so there is no mix up. But that is beyond some people sometimes.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • zxbanezxbane Member Posts: 740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    bhcs2014 wrote: »
    Maybe I am missing something but why is there any interest in a part time help desk gig on the other side of the country?

This was the first thing that came to mind for me as well.
  • SweenMachineSweenMachine Member Posts: 300 ■■■■□□□□□□
    zxbane wrote: »
    This was the first thing that came to mind for me as well.

The recruiter could be on the west coast; doesn't mean the position is.

The first thing I personally notice is the OP was really informal in his responses. When I was involved in hiring at my last position; I got turned off by simple things all the time.

For example, and this isn't personal, but if I got shoddy one line responses from a candidate; I would move on. Things like 'noon' and 'free' instead of an actual time and the word 'available' even. I would personally ALWAYS use the official time, with timezone. Also, and again this isn't personal at all, but if someone said 'western' time I would probably get a questionable vibe on this individual, internally debating on how much experience he has in an office environment because I don't know many people in offices that refer to it as 'western' time. I am also a nitpicker with daylights/standard time as well, but that's just me being silly.

I much more suitable response to me would have been:

"Thank you for your response.

I will be available to speak to you at 12pm PDT if that is acceptable.

Please let me know at your earliest convenience."

Sorry I am being over the top on this, but that is just my opinion.

-scott
    ratbuddy wrote: »
    Sounds like a third party recruiter with a fancy job title. Link him?

According to his LinkedIn profile, he's a CTO for a company in Sacramento.
    The recruiter could be on the west coast; doesn't mean the position is.

The first thing I personally notice is the OP was really informal in his responses. When I was involved in hiring at my last position; I got turned off by simple things all the time.

For example, and this isn't personal, but if I got shoddy one line responses from a candidate; I would move on. Things like 'noon' and 'free' instead of an actual time and the word 'available' even. I would personally ALWAYS use the official time, with timezone. Also, and again this isn't personal at all, but if someone said 'western' time I would probably get a questionable vibe on this individual, internally debating on how much experience he has in an office environment because I don't know many people in offices that refer to it as 'western' time. I am also a nitpicker with daylights/standard time as well, but that's just me being silly.

I much more suitable response to me would have been:

"Thank you for your response.

I will be available to speak to you at 12pm PDT if that is acceptable.

Please let me know at your earliest convenience."

Sorry I am being over the top on this, but that is just my opinion.

-scott

I appreciate the feedback, thanks.