Questions about exam changes and question variation

powerman7tpowerman7t Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am wondering when the changes in the A+ test will take place. I am also wondering if I have to know DSL, Satellite, etc., because it's not in the 2006 objectives, but it is in the 2003 version.

When you took the test, were there a lot of questions in these categories (just want to see what other people say, because many people on here have said that networking and printers were a good bit of the test):

Printers
CPU sockets
Memory addresses (didn't see it in objectives, but it is emphasized a little in my study book (A+ 5th edition by Charles Brooks)
Networking

Finally (may get off-topic), I see on some topics in these forums that some people find the test straight to the point and in my book they say there are many "questions that ramble on for multiple paragraphs/pictures". How straightforward or situtation-based does this test get?

Thank you for your time!

Comments

• TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Generally if it is not in the objectives then you don't need to know it for the test at least. The website has change in the last couple of weeks and they have added a lot if new information about the coming 2006 objectives. Try this link http://certification.comptia.org/a/New_A.aspx

As far as CompTIA general testing, the questions don't ramble as much as Microsoft but they work the troubleshooting angle heavily into the question. On almost all tests not just A+ there will be two obviously wrong answers and two answers that must be resolved based on best practices. An example is what do you do with a bad power supply fan after you determine that the problem is a bad power supply fan. Best practices determines the answer. In all cases you should know why the wrong answers are wrong.

Also be aware of negative questions such as which of the following is NOT a wrong answer. Questions of this type seem to get people that do not read the question carefully.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    TheShadow wrote:
    Generally if it is not in the objectives then you don't need to know it for the test at least. The website has change in the last couple of weeks and they have added a lot if new information about the coming 2006 objectives. Try this link http://certification.comptia.org/a/New_A.aspx

As far as CompTIA general testing, the questions don't ramble as much as Microsoft but they work the troubleshooting angle heavily into the question. On almost all tests not just A+ there will be two obviously wrong answers and two answers that must be resolved based on best practices. An example is what do you do with a bad power supply fan after you determine that the problem is a bad power supply fan. Best practices determines the answer. In all cases you should know why the wrong answers are wrong.

Also be aware of negative questions such as which of the following is NOT a wrong answer. Questions of this type seem to get people that do not read the question carefully.

icon_cheers.gif

Thought we had a little thumbsup smilie...Anyway, nice reply!
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • powerman7tpowerman7t Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the advice. I feel more confident to take this test maybe next month.