CompTIA Security+

burnerburner Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone,

I`m new on this forum and i`ve seem quite a big pile of information being shared. I`m planning on taking the CompTIA Security+ exam by the end of this year. I have already passed the CISSP exam, and at a first glance it seems that CompTIA is not that big ( in terms of CBK and knowledge aquired ).

Can you please suggest what resources are best used in order to learn for this exam ? ( I already have the CBT Nuggets videos for CompTIA ). Is there an official guide or something like Shon Harris` All In One ( CISSP ) ?

Thanks,
Paul

Comments

• brabbegebrabbege Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If you have the CISSP, why take the sec+? Just curious
  • burnerburner Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    brabbege wrote: »
    If you have the CISSP, why take the sec+? Just curious

Because CompTIA Security+ holds a 1 year experience waiver of the CISSP requirement.
  • donw35donw35 Member Posts: 78 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Darriel Gibsons book is all I used to pass the exam, its all you need, I am working on CISSP now. I am told that Sec+ is more technical so you will need to know things but you should do fine.
    donw35 wrote: »
    Darriel Gibsons book is all I used to pass the exam, its all you need, I am working on CISSP now. I am told that Sec+ is more technical so you will need to know things but you should do fine.

Thank you for the quick reply. I will add the book to the shopping list.
    burner wrote: »
    Thank you for the quick reply. I will add the book to the shopping list.

Also i`ve noticed that there are 2 versions of the test: comptia security+ sy0-401 and comptia security+ sy0-301 ( which will be retired in December ). Any adviced on which should i focus ?
  • donw35donw35 Member Posts: 78 ■■■□□□□□□□
    peronaly I would go after 301, I only studied for two weeks so you should be able to scratch this off the list quickly
  • jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yep, the Gibson book is all you need. Read that a few times, memorized a few things, and I was good to go.

I would also go after 301 because its been out there (its been vetted) for a while and there are more materials to reference.

SN- Does ISC(2) allow you to retroactively apply Sec+ to gain 1 year of experience waived? I know it does if you get it before you pass CISSP but can you do it after the fact?
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
    jvrlopez wrote: »
    Yep, the Gibson book is all you need. Read that a few times, memorized a few things, and I was good to go.

I would also go after 301 because its been out there (its been vetted) for a while and there are more materials to reference.

SN- Does ISC(2) allow you to retroactively apply Sec+ to gain 1 year of experience waived? I know it does if you get it before you pass CISSP but can you do it after the fact?

Well technically you will get the certification before applying for the actual CISSP Certification, but otherwise that is a very good question. At worst case scenario it can`t hurt to have an extra certification like Sec+