CCNP Voice Lab advice for home

barquerabarquera Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi Everyone,

I would really appreciate some advice on the most cost effective way to build a home lab for CCNP Voice.
I see labs on ebay and I also see people talking about using VMWare on their PCs.
I'm kinda confused.

I would really appreciate everyone's input. I would like to get started asap.

Comments

• azaghulazaghul Member Posts: 569 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Cost effective? Cost is usually the killer for the Voice track.

Not going into the nitty gritty of flash/dram/dsp's because that depends on the platforms you buy and how you fit them out.
    But for a basic setup to start you off and grow to get you through CVOICE and CIPT1:

1 Voice router for your HQ site, with a WIC-1T/2T serial card, a VWIC-1MFT-E1 (or T1) card, a VIC-xFXS card and VIC-xFXO card
    1 Voice router to simulate the PSTN (running CUCME) and WAN, with a WIC-1T/2T serial card, a VWIC-1MFT-E1 (or T1) card + E1/T1 crossover cable
    1 POE switch, make sure the POE type matches the phones or use a normal switch and power bricks
    3 IP phones (2 for HQ and 1 for PSTN) + IP Communicator
    1 PC (4GB minimum) with VMware Workstation to run Communication Manager

Thats probably the bare bones setup to start you off on the voice track.
  • barquerabarquera Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    azaghul,

Thank you for your advice.

I have 2 links here from ebay.
    Please tell me what one is sufficient because I don't really know what I'm looking at just yet but if I can buy something that's already together that would really help me because I don't really have time to piece a lab together part by part.

Link 1

Link 2
    Just had a look at both kits, and unfortunately neither really seem up to spec on what I'd consider getting.

If really pushed to choose (and I don't really like either), the CCNP Voice kit is slightly better only because it comes with VMware ESXi and the Cisco Unified Comms Suite pre-installed on a server. But for voice, the 2610's have passed their use-by date, there are no voice T1's (only WAN T1's), no branch sites and no PSTN/WAN network simulation.

I know its probably not the answer you were looking for, but I'd also not want you to waste your money. As both kits still have 27days on the clock theres no real hurry and an opinion other than mine wont hurt.:D
  • barquerabarquera Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    azaghul wrote: »
    Just had a look at both kits, and unfortunately neither really seem up to spec on what I'd consider getting.

If really pushed to choose (and I don't really like either), the CCNP Voice kit is slightly better only because it comes with VMware ESXi and the Cisco Unified Comms Suite pre-installed on a server. But for voice, the 2610's have passed their use-by date, there are no voice T1's (only WAN T1's), no branch sites and no PSTN/WAN network simulation.

I know its probably not the answer you were looking for, but I'd also not want you to waste your money. As both kits still have 27days on the clock theres no real hurry and an opinion other than mine wont hurt.:D

azaghul,

In your opinion, will the CCNP Voice kit get me through the CCNP Voice track?
    i dont need all the fancy stuff
  • stlsmoorestlsmoore Member Posts: 515 ■■■□□□□□□□
    yea for starters that lab is using an older IOS which may be okay but there are a lot of new features that are only available on 15.x which I'm not sure if there's a version of that for the 2610XM's. I would snatch up two 2811's and the respective DSP's and etc for the HQ and Branch gateways. A 3550 switch will get you through for the switching and PoE topics. I used a 1721 for my PSTN without any issues but any older router with voice capability should do I think. You'll need either a dedicated server ($500 I'm guessing) or use your own personal PC if it's beefy enough for all the voice apps. And of course 2-3 IP Phones and a couple of cheap analogs.

This is pretty much what I'm using so far and it's hasn't held me back to much on the topics. There are a couple of gatekeeper, and CUBE topics I wasn't able to lab the way I wanted. Now if only I could get the theory down I would be a little further in my CCNP: Voice progress lol. Below is a link with a picture of my current lab for the most part, a few items aren't in there like my server and analog phones.

Shawn Moore's Cisco Trek: CCNP Voice Home Lab Nearly Completed
    My Cisco Blog Adventure: http://shawnmoorecisco.blogspot.com/

Don't Forget to Add me on LinkedIn!
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/shawnrmoore
    barquera wrote: »
    In your opinion, will the CCNP Voice kit get me through the CCNP Voice track?
    i dont need all the fancy stuff

No, I don't think either of those kits are really up to the task of getting you through CCNP Voice.

The most basic kit I'd look at these days would be:

Site 1: 2801 with VWIC E1 or T1 card, 2FXO card, 2FXS card, PVDM2-8, IOS 12.4T with gatekeeper (prefer 15.0T)
    Site 2: 2801 with VWIC E1 or T1 card, PVDM2-8, IOS 12.4T (prefer 15.0T)
    POE switch: 3524XL-PWR (prefer 3550-PWR for added QoS features)
    Phones: 3 x CP7940 + CIPC
    PC with VMware Workstation or dedicated PC running VMware ESXi (with min 8GB RAM) to run Cisco Unified Comms Suite

Connect the 2801's E1/T1's via crossover (to simulate [sort of] the PSTN), Fa0/0 via crossover (to simulate [sort of] the WAN). Not an ideal setup compared to what most people tend to build here, but it can be added to without starting again from scratch.

The other option to investing in your own hardware, look at rack rental time from INE, IPExpert or others, this gives you access to up-to-date hardware without as big an investment.
  • cissptstcissptst Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello azaghul,

Can you please make a diagram which interface connecting where?
    That would be really helpful....Im really struggling

thanks in advance
    A thread woken from a long 2 year slumber...icon_lol.gif

This should be enough to get you started, interface numbering is dependant on the local platform configuration.

Including a separate router for PSTN/WAN does add to the cost (Voice is not a cheap track anyway), but also adds to your understanding (and grey hair).

• sacredboysacredboy Member Posts: 303 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have 2 2811 series with VWIC2-2MFT-T1/E1 + VIC2-2FXO + VIC2-2FXS on each. Could you give me an advice as to what else could be installed or upgraded for CCNP Voice track please.

BTW. I have free NM slot on each router. Is there something that can be installed in NM slot for voice?
    Best, sacredboy!
  • shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    Do you have DSP's. Also you should look at a PSTN router. That way you can have 2 sites and a PSTN.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
    sacredboy wrote: »
    BTW. I have free NM slot on each router. Is there something that can be installed in NM slot for voice?

The only NM for voice would be CUE, however adding a switching module to learn about BVI's or NAM module would be a bonus.
    shodown wrote: »
    Do you have DSP's. Also you should look at a PSTN router. That way you can have 2 sites and a PSTN.
    Yes I have 2 x PVDM2-8. What modules are required for PSTN?
    azaghul wrote: »
    The only NM for voice would be CUE, however adding a switching module to learn about BVI's or NAM module would be a bonus.
    Probably I'll give a think about obtaining CUE. Is this model OK? Cisco Unity Voice Mail Module Aim Cue for 2801 2811 2821 2851 3725 3745 5XAVAIL | eBay
    Best, sacredboy!
    That AIM-CUE should be OK for most things, keeping in mind you are limited to CUE v7.0/7.1, but that should get you through most features. Higher versions are (I think) available, but only thru SmartNet contracts.
    What this AIM-CUE for?
    Best, sacredboy!
  • JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
    Guys, do I need HWIC-4ESW-POE module for CCNP Voice if I already have 3750 switches which support inline power supply?
    Best, sacredboy!
  • sam88sam88 Member Posts: 60 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sorry to enter....

I need help setting up the voice lab.

2620xm 1 FE0/0 & wic-2t
    2620xm 1 FE0/0 & wic-2t
    1760 1 FE0/0 VWIC-2MFT
    2950 24T
    2950 24T
    2950 24T
    3550 24T
    3550 24T

As my router have 1 FE port only. How I can make the connections between router and ISP?

ISP
    RJ45cable
    >2620xm FE0/0/--WIC2T port
    how will I connect
    >2600xm FE0/0/--WIC2T
    how will I connect
    >1760--VWIC-2MFT.....SW

Help me with the connections.

I'm also planning to purchase 2 1841 router (64mb flash & 256mb ram).
  • Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    actually for labbing cisco provides a dev sandbox for cucm product suite which you can set a vpn to your house and connect any local phones to their cloud servers. It is pretty cool and already set up from the ground up.
  • sam88sam88 Member Posts: 60 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi,

Thanks for the information. Is it free. Can you elaborate more how I can proceed further with it?
  • Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    google cisco dcloud and cisco dev sandbox then explore.

Edit* yes it is free