What if...

philz1982philz1982 Member Posts: 978
Imagine the following scenario, for the next 365 days all of your responsibilities, bills, everything, are handled. You are given unlimited energy and focus and told you can learn whatever you want over the next 365 days. You are given access to any class, and any person you need to support your learning.

What would you learn and why would you learn it? The answer can be a single thing, or multiple things.

-Phil

Comments

• UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    I'll enroll in a fine arts degree full time.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• philz1982philz1982 Member Posts: 978
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    I'll enroll in a fine arts degree full time.

You forgot the why icon_biggrin.gif
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    History because there is nothing I love more!

Realistically I'd probably take some programming and scripting classes to make my life easier. I'm mostly learning in my free time right now and it's slow going.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    History because there is nothing I love more!

Realistically I'd probably take some programming and scripting classes to make my life easier. I'm mostly learning in my free time right now and it's slow going.

So true, I'm sitting here, on a Friday night, at my computer working through a Wrox book on C#. Oh, the joys of being in IT icon_biggrin.gif
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    CCIE. Because at the end of 365 days, my responsibilities and bills come back and I love learning about networking. If I had unlimited funds, I'd still probably go for my CCIE. I'm a masochist that way because I like learning about this stuff :)
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • fredrikjjfredrikjj Member Posts: 879
    I'd attend different CCIE bootcamps. Probably with a week or two between each one to read and lab on my own. If it doesn't have to be tech/cert/job related, I would get into BASE jumping and wingsuit flying.
    CCIE. Because at the end of 365 days, my responsibilities and bills come back and I love learning about networking. If I had unlimited funds, I'd still probably go for my CCIE. I'm a masochist that way because I like learning about this stuff :)

Could you accomplish a CCIE in one year of constant study? I have no idea what level of skill a CCIE requires.
  • fredrikjjfredrikjj Member Posts: 879
    philz1982 wrote: »
    Could you accomplish a CCIE in one year of constant study? I have no idea what level of skill a CCIE requires.

With the unlimited focus and energy you said that I could have, yes :) That implies like at least 12 hours of hardcore studying per day with no breaks, and that's probably three times as much as any normal person can sustain over a long period of time.
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    It probably would take longer than a year to achieve it but having a straight year of focus, labbing, classes, etc will get you a WHOLE lot closer. It's an extremely hard exam to pass and most people don't pass it on their first try.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Depends where you are starting from. Starting from zero probably not, but if you are already familiar with most of the technologies a year with nothing else to do but study would be more than enough time. I know people that have done it in that time frame while working full time.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • omi2123omi2123 Member Posts: 189
    CCNP & then CCIE because someday hopefully soon, I'd like to walk thru the gate that says "CCIE Entrance Only"......I'll walk thru it like a flaired peacock.....
  • da_vatoda_vato Member Posts: 445
    OSCP for me, I got my start in IT by hacking (good bad or indifferent). I've always been an engineer and I mean always... I love learning how everything works at its most basic level.

edit: I was only thinking about IT....

I would finish learning some languages that I had started when I lived in the areas. Tagalog and Hangul.
  • TheProfTheProf Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 331 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Probably Astrophysics and Quantum Mechanics/Physics. Aside from that, tech related stuff, I'd try and complete the VCDX.
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Quantum physics, psychology, philosophy.
    I have always said at about 50 I would like to retrain in psychology and work in councling or something. So I would take a year away from IT, and just enjoy learning with out the pressure of work.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    My first thoughts were Linux and Programming. Those are 2 of my weakest areas right now. With a year's focus I could automate the hell out of my environment!

On the less technical side - leadership. I love reading and listening to material on the subject, but feel like I'm lacking a lot personally. Could you imaging shadowing the top 50 CEOs in the world for 1 day each?.......
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    fredrikjj wrote: »
    and wingsuit flying.

Coolest thing ever. Now that I have 3 kids that ship has sailed for me icon_sad.gif

If I had a year of unlimited study and didn't have to work, I'd go for my MSRE Master of Science in Real Estate. My IT career is only a means to my end working in real estate homebuilding and development, as well as having my own brokerage.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • OfWolfAndManOfWolfAndMan Member Posts: 923 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'd finish my CCNP, my BS, and I'd learn from Tony Stark how to make an Iron Man suit, and make it. I'm being somewhat realistic on only the first two though :D. I'd also learn from the best architects about ISE, QoS and Multicast
    :study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []
  • Rocket ImpossibleRocket Impossible Member Posts: 104
    I could knock out my M.S. in a year of uninterrupted focus. I probably wouldn't get anything else done but that would be huge.
  • MTciscoguyMTciscoguy Member Posts: 552
    As I am retired with a great income, I am already doing it, currently studying for CCNA, and Windows Server, after 30 years of playing with them, I figured it was time to get certified on some of this stuff.
    Current Lab: 4 C2950 WS, 1 C2950G EI, 3 1841, 2 2503, Various Modules, Parts and Pieces. Dell Power Edge 1850, Dell Power Edge 1950.
  • gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
    Learn programming, bc it is my weakness and It's a valuable skill in IT. Everything else I can learn in my downtime. I plan to take a class in it in January of next year once I get some more certifications under my belt
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    For me it's 2 things - I've always wanted to learn to be a pilot and make furniture. I would enroll in a cabinet making school to learn some of the basics and a flying school.
  • wes allenwes allen Member Posts: 540 ■■■■■□□□□□
    This reminds me of a quote from Snow Crash:

"Until a man is twenty-five, he still thinks, every so often, that under the right circumstances he could be the baddest motherfucker in the world. If I moved to a martial-arts monastery in China and studied real hard for ten years. If my family was wiped out by Colombian drug dealers and I swore myself to revenge. If I got a fatal disease, had one year to live, and devoted it to wiping out street crime. If I just dropped out and devoted my life to being bad. Hiro used to feel this way, too, but then he ran into Raven. In a way, this was liberating. He no longer has to worry about being the baddest motherfucker in the world. The position is taken."

For me, it would be finish OSCP, then OSCE, then their webapp pen testing course. With study breaks to work on 3-Gun style shooting.
  • linuxloverlinuxlover Banned Posts: 228
    I would take on Philosophy, Astronomy/Astrophysics and Egyptology courses and would train sports twice a day. After that I would go back to IT, it would be a nice break to clear my busy mind and take on something else I enjoy.
  • MTciscoguyMTciscoguy Member Posts: 552
    Well I did the flying thing, one of the coolest certifications I have, love to fly Helo's as well as fixed wing aircraft, did the car racing thing for quite a while and qualified to run NASCAR, but unfortunately duty called right after that and I spent several years overseas planning strategic missions for the Army, spent 3 years in the Pentagon, was transferred from there exactly 3 days before 9/11/2001, My last day of duty, was 9/08/2001. So I have had enough real excitement in my life, I love working on the computers now, much quieter and actually very challenging.

To all of my younger associates, I recommend, if you can live a dream, just do it!!!!
    Current Lab: 4 C2950 WS, 1 C2950G EI, 3 1841, 2 2503, Various Modules, Parts and Pieces. Dell Power Edge 1850, Dell Power Edge 1950.
  • darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    I'd study electrical engineering, because I have a few inventions on my mind.
  • codedwarcodedwar Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    First I would knock out my CCNP pretty quickly with all the study time. Then I would take an entire month off and just relax (this has been a very busy year for me.).Then I would focus on programming, electronic theory, and Linux to fill in some gaps in knowledge. I have only been in the industry for 5 years and have been in networking (mostly Cisco) the entire time. I wouldn't change my career path or anything, I just think learning those would really help round out my experience and give me a better understanding of IT in general.
  • Disas_mainDisas_main Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would learn something which will give me the ability to change the world. I will learn physics and green energy sources. If this happen after 2 years, I will have enough EE(electrical engineering) skills so I will be closed to my target. The reason I will learn this is because if I have this opportunity to change the world will be must.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    philz1982 wrote: »
    Imagine the following scenario, for the next 365 days all of your responsibilities, bills, everything, are handled. You are given unlimited energy and focus and told you can learn whatever you want over the next 365 days. You are given access to any class, and any person you need to support your learning.

What would you learn and why would you learn it? The answer can be a single thing, or multiple things.

-Phil

Phil really cool topic. Rep.

I would move to a foreign country and try to learn the language. Brazil and Portuguese would be my first option. I would volunteer my time free ~ 20 hours a week in some capacity and the other x amount of hours would be socializing and learning the culture. Eastern Europe would be on my list as well. Either one I went with, I would be looking to make a permanent transition.

Why - because it would make you international which would pay more $ potentially and I like the idea of learning another culture.

No formalized education that's for sure unless it was to learn the language/culture. No certs!
  • YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    C and assembly
  • Snow.brosSnow.bros Member Posts: 832 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If I had enough time would work on getting a computer science degree and completing my CCNA and have at least one certification in security.

Why? - I think I need formal eduction about IT generally, plus it would be constructive to have a degree in the belt.
    - I am interested in exploring the Cisco certifications and I want to do something in security one day.

Edit: I love what I do but I could do with customer non facing roles though, if there is certification that would steer me to that i would per-sue it.