Options

Am i on the right track for system admin?

gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
I am not sure where exactly I want to go into IT. I am currently doing Help Desk Support for a large enterprise hospital (not Kaiser). I currently have Network+ and CCENT. I would like to go to a place where I get exposure to a lot of different types of tech, like an it support tech analyst, but am curious on what I should go for next. Should I get a windows 7 cert? Or should I continue for 70-640 (MCSA 200icon_cool.gif path. If i go that path i believe I only need the one cert to upgrade to 2012.
Side note, I am taking a course at a local community college for vmware vcp5, I am also taking a linux at my local community college in the fall as I have no Linux knowledge. I am a huge fan of classroom learning as its nice to be able to ask questions and get answers quicker, but I can do self learning with CBT video's which is how i got my previous two certs
I have an interest in System Administration but would like to slowly get there and possibly be there in 2-3 as my next job, once I have an mcsa and more linux exposure and exposure to vmware

Comments

• Options
    linuxloverlinuxlover Banned Posts: 228
    Well, what kind of technologies is your company using? It's simple as that, just follow that path. If your companies uses Windows, go for 2012. You'll know how to manage 2008 and you'll learn a lot of new features of 2012 which will come in handy in the future. Skip W7, it's a desktop OS.
  • Options
    gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
    As much as I agree with what your saying, i probably wont stay at my current place, so I gotta get as much knowledge under my belt as possible
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Even if you plan to leave you will probably benefit from following your own companies lead.

This is the experience that you will be selling in your next interview. So I suggest learning as much as you can about your current environment then do the same thing at your next job. Fill in the gaps with directions that you want to go.

Good Luck