Options

How much NETBIOS\WINS on 70-291?

fredefrede Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am studying using Syngress which has page after page of NETBIOS and WINS. Is there much on the exam?

Fred

Comments

• Options
    agustinchernitskyagustinchernitsky Member Posts: 299
    Hello,

Honestly, I can't remember any question on that... Still, you should know how netbios works (ie netbios over TCP/IP)... also that is a non-routable protocol (hello WINS!).

And just a tip, even if MS says that Win2k and Win2k3 use DNS, never ever disable netbios totally... There is always something using it :)

Hope it helps!
  • Options
    bbbngowcbbbngowc Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think I had 2 questions 1 regarding netbios and 1 wins.

Study it, DNS and DHCP are a big part of the exam so there's a good chance you'll be asked about it.
  • Options
    Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    WINs is not used to route netbios any more than DNS is used to route IP, but rather to provide a better way to resolve a netbios name to its equivalent IP. The alternative to using WINS for netbios name resolution is broadcast (now THAT is not usually passed through routers), LMHost file, and to a limited extent, host file.
  • Options
    agustinchernitskyagustinchernitsky Member Posts: 299
    Hello,

maybe I wasn't clear... but I meant that it is a non-routable protocol, exactly because it is a broadcast one and broadcast are stopped on the router. The only way to use Netbios in multiple segments is to use WINS on both sides.

Thanks for clearing it up :)
  • Options
    Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    Again, it is not the protocol itself. Only the name discovery. If I am not mistaken, netbios is at least at the session layer, and so needs something else at the lower layers to transport the netbios session layer. Whether netbios is routable or not depends on the protocol that is being used to transport the netbios session. If it is TCP/IP, that is very much routeable.

Consider HTTP. Would you consider that unroutable? To be useful in common circumstances, you need DNS but only to resolve the FQDN in the URL to an IP. It is quite possible to have a functioning HTTP session without DNS, but for most, not very useful.