Options

Passed 98-366! How I prepared

SweenMachineSweenMachine Member Posts: 300 ■■■■□□□□□□
Six days after taking my 349, I passed the 366, although just barely. Keep in mind, I have virtually no networking knowledge or experience.

I started a new job 2 weeks ago, so I really didn't have a chance to study like I wanted. I spent about 3 weeks working on the 349, since I had never taken a certification to that point.

Last night, I read the Microsoft book cover to cover. I didn't do any of the exercises, just read the text. Took about 3 hours (200 pages) - I went back and read all the certification ready hints and memorized the OSI model, and the common devices and protocols. This took a total of 4 hours.

Today, I did the Certiport study guide from their website, which had fairly simple questions. I made sure to read all the responses and hints.

Finally, I printed off the outline/topics from the Microsoft website and checked next to everything I felt I knew, and what I didn't I went back to the MS book and read over it again.

Total prep time: 6 hours
Score: 77 (eek! not great, but a pass)

General thoughts: The test was harder than I thought, much harder than the 349. As someone with years of enterprise help desk experience, I understand broad technical concepts but my networking understanding was poor. There were a fair amount of command line questions as far as MS command lines to find information. Subnetting I am fairly sure I biffed all of these questions. You don't need to have super subnetting knowledge, but do yourself a favor and study the basics.

Had I prepared better it would have been fine.

Next up, HTML5. I have zero knowledge on this subject as well, so I am going to prepare a little better haha

-scott

Comments

• Options
    Justin-Justin- Member Posts: 300
    Lol, very nice man. I have about 125 pages left now to study. I am also going to try some practice tests / the outline from MS.

Congrats and good luck on HTML5! I'm sure you'll get it!!

Justin
  • Options
    missjanayamissjanaya Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for this info. I am studying now for this exam and plan to study for 3 weeks. Do you think the Certiport stuff helped or hurt? Any other advice?