CCNA Home Lab Internet Connectivity

Ov3r_Dr1v3Ov3r_Dr1v3 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi All,

I'm hoping someone will be able to help me.

Having a Windows\VMWare background I am struggling to get my head round a few of the CCNA concepts and in particular setup my home lab how I want it.

What I have:
- A Cisco 2950 switch, which I use to connect two VMware ESX hosts. Connectivity between the two hosts is fine. I have configured VLAN 100 on the switchports for these hosts. They have 192.168.100.0/24 IP addresses.

- A Cisco 1700 router, which only has a single ethernet port. Because it only has a single ethernet port, I have connected this to the switch on a trunked port (VLAN 100 and VLAN 5) and configured it with the IP addresss 192.168.0.100 (VLAN 5) and 192.168.100.254 (VLAN 100).

- A sky home broadband switch/router which gives out IP addresses on the 192.168.0.0/24 network. I have connected this via ethernet to the switch on a port configured in VLAN 5.

I can ping 8.8.8.8 from the Cisco router, which tells me that can connect to the internet.

I can ping the Cisco router (192.168.100.254) from other hosts on VLAN 100, however I can not ping 8.8.8.8, which tells me they can not connect to the internet

I'm not sure I fully understand why this would not work, so I'm hoping someone will be able to help me get this setup

Many thanks in advance for anyhelp you can provide

Comments

• gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    The problem is that the Sky router does not "know" about the 192.168.100.0/24 network, it will not know what gateway to send packets destined for that network, hence traffic not coming back in. The trouble is, at least as far as I know - you cannot configure this on them.

The Sky routers are cheap and not meant for techies who want to learn networking. Mine is sat in a box on the floor next to me :)
  • xnxxnx Member Posts: 464 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You can do RIPv1 and v2 on a sky router, but its terribly slow. I used RIP back in 2008 because I couldn't get a static route to work between my 2 home routers.
    Getting There ...

Lab Equipment: Using Cisco CSRs and 4 Switches currently
    It's a bit odd how you can configure RIP, but not use static routes. That's what I use to connect my lab to the 'net anyways (Static routes)

I quickly threw the Sky router away - I'm using a Tomato based one now that does a *LOT* more.
    Sorry, you could configure static routes but it never worked properly (probably a misconfiguration).

At the moment I use 2 devices running DDWRT devices for my home network, 1 as a router and another as a wireless AP.

I wish setting up static routes were the same throughout all routers.. DDWRT ones are the only ones where it's worked properly for me.
    Getting There ...

• Ov3r_Dr1v3Ov3r_Dr1v3 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for your responses guys.

Could I possibly setup a NAT on my Cisco router for anything from the 192.168.100.0/24 network to the 192.168.0.100 address that is has assigned?
    An interface / IP is used to connect the router to the other network, e.g on my home network 10.10.10.254 connects to my main network using 10.0.0.250 which is the WAN IP of my 10.10.10.0 network router.

This means that everything from the 10.10.10.0 network uses NAT with the IP 10.0.0.250 on the main network.
    Getting There ...

Ahh the ol' NAT and Router on a Stick combo - I've used that before now.
  • Ov3r_Dr1v3Ov3r_Dr1v3 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Have cracked it, thanks very much for all your help guys.

I create a PAT on my Cisco router which translated from my inside network (192.168.100.0/24) to my 'global' address of 192.168.0.100 (connected to my Sky router).

I can now get internet connectivity from my internal hosts.

Many thanks again!
    xnx wrote: »
    Sorry, you could configure static routes but it never worked properly (probably a misconfiguration).

At the moment I use 2 devices running DDWRT devices for my home network, 1 as a router and another as a wireless AP.

I wish setting up static routes were the same throughout all routers.. DDWRT ones are the only ones where it's worked properly for me.

I'm probably wrong actually - maybe you could use Static routes :D
    Ov3r_Dr1v3 wrote: »
    Have cracked it, thanks very much for all your help guys.

I create a PAT on my Cisco router which translated from my inside network (192.168.100.0/24) to my 'global' address of 192.168.0.100 (connected to my Sky router).

I can now get internet connectivity from my internal hosts.

Many thanks again!

Sweet! well done.